Non-Grey Not Eating Please Help

Sorry to post this about a non-Grey, we are near out wits end and we know there are a lot more knowledgeable people than us on here that may be able to help. Our Rat Terrier, Peanut who is 16.5 yrs was diagnosed with a mass behind her stomach in November. We did not opt for an aspirate/biopsy as we knew that quality of life is more important and based on the Oncologist we have and second opinion by Dr Coutu, they presumed to be likely a Hemangio of one form or another. We went with Chemo, 4 rounds and she fared well throughout and then started her at home Chemo (Chlorambucil) once a day. She also has IBS that was diagnosed a couple years back and we manage this with Budesonide however her appetite has plummeted to nothing. She was on the Hypoallergenic Royal Canin rabbit and potato and this was to help with IBS however she will not touch that any longer. Other items we have tried is scrambled, eggs, fresh grilled salmon, fresh grilled cod, boiled ground turkey, boiled egg, pasta (plain and garnished), etc. We have even gone the rout of McD and she used to love the fries but that is not working any longer. Munchkins from DD used to be a very very special treat and that doesn't work. We have bought all sorts of treats from Petsmart and she likes some for a bit and then refuses.

She is also on the following (she weighs approx. 11lbs):

Budesonide 1 tab of 1mg every 24hrs

Mirtazapine 1/4-1/2 tab of 15mg every 24hrs

Metronidazole 1/4 tab of 250mg every 12hrs

Dipen/Atropine 1 tab of 0.25mg every 12hrs

Ondansetron 1 tab of 4mg every 12 hrs

Yunnan Baiyao 3 capsules of 0.25g every 12hrs

Turkey Tail 1 capsule every 24hrs

Slippery Elm 1 tb every 12hrs

As you will notice from above, he tummy has been giving her trouble with diarrhoea and that is now 'in control' however we are concerned perhaps the above is too much? Also something she has started to do in the last two weeks is she will grimace and shake her head if you bring any food to her. For now we have been syringe feeding her but that she is not a big fan of at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are only looking to help her eat as we know her time is short and just would like her to have the best quality of life. Please note that she does enjoy everything else and does not seem to be in any pain and would show it if she was as she is a very sensitive little girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Maybe some stinky canned dog food or some sardines (the kind packed in water) cut into small pieces. Cottage cheese or vanilla ice cream is sometimes a big hit also. At this point with her not eating, it sounds like anything she will eat would be acceptable to keep some food in her. Her stomach may be shrunk to a very small size since she hasn't been eating. That sometimes makes it really hard to get them to eat.

Rocket has had his share of stomach issues and times that he didn't want to eat. He rarely turned down cottage cheese or scrambled eggs mixed with some canned food. I found that the mushier and stinkier the combination of foods, the more likely he was to be interested in it. He loves the Evanger's Canned Organic Chicken, but it's not a completely balanced food - it is only cooked chicken. Evanger's has some good combinations of canned stuff if any of your local pet stores carry the brand, but any canned food would be worth a try.

Sorry you are going through this. Best wishes to Peanut!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Something else you might try is Canine Caviar Chicken and Pearl Millet. Nadir had a sensitive stomach and kidney disease which caused a lot of problems with his appetite toward the end. He would eat something new once, maybe twice, then not touch it again no matter what extras I added.. I then bought a bag of the CC and he ate it every meal for the last 3 months of his life and all I did was add water. Supposedly millet is easy on the digestive tract for dogs with IBS.

I hope you can get your little Peanut to eat. I know how worrisome it can be.

You might try dribbling some Ensure (vanilla or strawberry) on her food. Or, if she won't eat that, see if she'll drink Ensure. I've come to think Ensure is probably not a good thing when cancer's involved (too much sugar), but if she won't eat anything else it might interest her in food and/or provide calories.

satin balls :dunno hope Peanut starts eating soon

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest IrskasMom

Kyle, I know all to well the agony of your Pup not Eating . I am sorry , but I have no Advice. I Tried everything you fed to my Morty and he would not eat . Hopefully she will come around and eat. Good Luck and Prayers from here .

Poor Peanut. I will PM you Seamie's list of "Noms I might enjoy today but not tomorrow, but maybe again the next day." We've since added to it: quinoa, with or without butter and/or shredded cheese or shaky cheese. I hope something will interest your girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks everyone. Yesterday she did eat some bread and a bit of munchkin by herself. We also syringe her some decent food but also know that time is very short now.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Fenway does not like canned dog food (strange, I know) but sardines packed in water always get him eating. I mush a few pieces into this food, add some water, and pour some of the juice on top. This, along with eggs, are the go-to solutions that work for me, every time.

I hope you can keep the quality of life up to enjoy a bit more time with your pup. Those terriers are tough little dogs! (Or big dogs, in our case!)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

My grey had kidney disease and she had 1/2 bottle of vanilla Ensure daily. I also keep chicken baby food in my pantry. She would lick it off my finger with whispered sweet words in her softie ears. Boy, I miss that girl! I hope something works. Prayers for you all!

Ice cream, honey, poached chicken livers with just a touch of molasses, spaghettios, honey nut Shredded Wheat or Cheerios .....

I'm so sorry you're going through this and hope you have found something to make Peanut happy -- and hungry -- today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We have tried Ensure but found it causes diarrhea so we have opted not to use it. Yesterday she did eat, mixed baby food with protein power and cheesecake! The latter we brought home with us from Easter celebrations with family and thought we would try it. Again thank you for the suggestions and good thoughts.

Oh, I'm so sorry.

I hate to say this, but if you know there is a growth around her stomach, it may be that this is the reason. I agree with TBHounds: get another scan or x-ray to see what is going on. It may be that things have changed and it's time to say goodbye. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop