Assist Harness For Amputation

We use a harness from Ruff Wear. He may not need one too much. He will have to get his sea legs. They usually stay at the vet until they are stable walking. Some need one day, some need a week. I like to have them wear it for my security. If you try to help too much you get in there way.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

My boy Jesse (in my avatar) also had a right front amp when he was six and helping him get around never occurred to me until the evening I picked him up from the hospital. To my surprise he hopped out of the hospital and right into my van like it was nothing. He never had any mobility issues so a harness was never necessary. Jesse was very physically fit and young (other than the cancer) so his surgery and recovery went really well. I hope it goes the same for you and Taylor.

Sorry, I guess I'm no help.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest Dancer

My boy Stolie had a front leg amp...we used one for a while. In our situation, he was very capable getting around right from the start - as long as there were no stairs involved. Unfortunately for Stolie, our home has lots of stairs and Stolie feels compelled to be where ever we are. We used the assist harness to guide him up and down the stairs. After a week or so, he was capable to do 2-3 stairs on his own, but using the harness gave him more confidence going up a full flight of stairs. And it was much easier on us :)

Another vote for this model of Ruffwear harness.

Jaynie had a left front amp, and friends added a buckle to the strap that runs down the chest, so there is no need for her to step into it. If you can find someone to do this, it is a huge help.

You may not be able to use this harness from the get-go because it may cover part of the incision and if so, may be painful / irritating, but once the incision is healed, it's great.

Jaynie doesn't really need a harness, but then and now, I greatly prefer it to a collar as a leash point attachment (she does wear a tag collar with a boomerang tag), and sometimes a martingale if I think it might be handy or as a fashion accessory LOL.

I already had, and therefore used, this assist harness in the early days, because it didn't touch the incision area, however, it needs to be snug as it will rotate on a front amputee. Also, your dog needs to step into it (Jaynie is light and I lifted her into it). On the up side, it is very soft and can be left on for longer than just walks. I did find it helpful in the early days. As with the other harness, it provides an attachment point for the leash.

Finally, for convenience, I have adjusted the Ruffwear harness to fit over her body, and the assistance harness to fit over her coat, so in transitional weather like now, I use one or the other depending on the weather.

Another vote for this model of Ruffwear harness.

Jaynie had a left front amp, and friends added a buckle to the strap that runs down the chest, so there is no need for her to step into it. If you can find someone to do this, it is a huge help.

You may not be able to use this harness from the get-go because it may cover part of the incision and if so, may be painful / irritating, but once the incision is healed, it's great.

Jaynie doesn't really need a harness, but then and now, I greatly prefer it to a collar as a leash point attachment (she does wear a tag collar with a boomerang tag), and sometimes a martingale if I think it might be handy or as a fashion accessory LOL.

I already had, and therefore used, this assist harness in the early days, because it didn't touch the incision area, however, it needs to be snug as it will rotate on a front amputee. Also, your dog needs to step into it (Jaynie is light and I lifted her into it). On the up side, it is very soft and can be left on for longer than just walks. I did find it helpful in the early days. As with the other harness, it provides an attachment point for the leash.

Finally, for convenience, I have adjusted the Ruffwear harness to fit over her body, and the assistance harness to fit over her coat, so in transitional weather like now, I use one or the other depending on the weather.

Thanks for the info.

I just ordered the assist harness from Carol, after speaking with her on the phone. We have met before.

Carol said it is an excellent product, used successfully by many, many greyhound owners.