Laser Therapy?

We have 3 greyhounds and one of them is getting laser therapy at the moment. We originally brought him to the vet because of limping in the left front leg. X-rays thankfully did not reveal any osteo problems but his 4th & 5th digits may have some arthritis from previous traumas. We then had further problems to the pad on his 4th digit which actually developed an abscess and had to be drained. He's currently on Cephalexin and also Gabapentin and Tramadol. It's hard to tell at this point how the laser therapy is helping him since his problem has been complicated by the pad issue. He seems to enjoy them though and is signed up for 6 treatments (we have 2 remaining). At the last visit just the other day, he actually lay down in the vet's office and was quite relaxed. Laser therapy is a non-invasive therapy and certainly can't hurt.

How long do his treatments take?

Nube had it for a (unknown cause) swollen back paw. Nothing else had helped until we did the laser. It was amazing how it worked. I honestly thought it was a total crock the first time the chiro waved this silly red light on the paw but within 2 days it was almost back to normal (after 1 month of being swollen!).

but yes, they should NOT do it if there is cancer present...

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest emilyjohn

His treatments take about 6 minutes. They are doing 3 minutes on the toes and carpal area and then another 3 minutes on the pad. We spend more time driving there & getting checked in than we do with the therapy.

With 5 rambunctious dogs, I wonder what a laser costs :)

Depends on the laser. The Companion laser that a lot of clinics use costs around $20 thousand (new) from what I've been told.

The clinic I'm at right now has a SpectraVet which is slightly different, but also a cold laser. We bought ours (used) from another clinic for around $8 thousand I believe.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Jaynie had laser treatments to the LS junction area of her back last summer, where she had a disc bulge, and they definitely helped with healing. IIRC sessions were about 15 - 20 minutes, using a portable laser.

I asked about cancer risks because Jaynie is a front leg amputee due to osteo, but was told that the effect of laser is very localized, so treating her back (MRI showed no cancer) would not hasten its return.

I'll be checking this out in the coming weeks for Kasey when I have a little bit more time on my hands after some exams. Driving him from vet to chiro etc.....he needs his own license and opposable thumbs I swear.

Anyone want to suggest typical cost per treatment? Just want to know what to expect. Also, how do you get your dog to lay down and relax to have this done? Also is this something you should be doing on a regular basis, or is a few treatments enough, and then a break and then go again?

I did look up the cost of a machine for the heck of it. That's not happening!

I witnessed laser therapy being done on a horse a few years ago. The mare came into the demo ring limping, the tech treated the hoof and lower leg very quickly, within minutes. Didn't she walk right out of there strutting. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I "think" it's $25 per session for Doodles now. First consultation, which included acupuncture, was $75. Healthy Paws reimburses 90%, so I ultimately pay $2.50 after I get their check.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

For us it was a flat $35/visit.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I bought a package of six treatments for $217 which comes to $36 a visit. It was slightly more for a single treatment. Tiger is too nervous to lay down. He just stands there but seems to enjoy it.

siggy2.jpg