In Search Of Prison (Cell) Dog Training Or Basic Obedience Resources

Guest Sushipet1984

Guest Sushipet1984

My Ronan is a super smart Prison Dog Graduate that's starting to realize I don't know the first thing about training greyhounds! He graduated from The Greyhound Inmate Experience and knows about 30 tricks (so says the prison journal he came with), but he's being a little pistol and testing the boundaries with me now that he's been with me for a week.

I want to keep up his training and work on more obedience with him, but I'm unable to get a hold of the materials The Greyhound Inmate Experience used to train him. I wrote them, asking for the materials, but was told they were working on something that would be ready for a while.

Does anyone know where I can find what they (or other prison programs) used to train the hounds? If not, can anyone recommend some great training resources for greyhounds? I have another dog I trained very well, but that was all done with negative and positive reinforcement via a choke chain. I do not want to try that methodology with Ronan because I don't think the greyhound breed is receptive to that.

Thank you for any help you can provide! I want to keep Ronan engaged mentally AND have a well trained pup!.

Guest Amber

Didn't they tell you what commands he knows and whether they used hand signals and /or certain words as cues? Seems strange if they didn't.

You are Definitely Right no choke chains or harsh handling. Look up clicker training, there are books and a ton of 'how to' info on the internet.

But also, he has only been with you an extremely short time, he will be unsettled by being moved around. You wont have a perfectly trained dog straight away, even if he did have a training programme elsewhere. I wouldn't even begin trying to train a new greyhound in any formal sense until after 3 months in my home. Your home and your rules are new and different, so you need time to build some bond before he starts responding to obedience training. Why not let him settle down first?

Guest AngelPup

Does the prison journal mention how they trained him? Clicker, hand signals, etc. and what tricks/commands he knows? That would be helpful. Not sure why they wouldn't provide that info since any training he received beforehand would be a waste if you didn't keep up with it or know HOW he was trained. While I agree he needs time to settle in to his new environment, I also think that keeping up with something he's been doing previously (obedience training, etc.) might help him feel more secure since it's something he's familiar with. Not sure I'd do formal obedience right off the bat, but it's certainly something to look into for socialization and to assist you as well as your pooch in the future.

Good luck!!

Guest sireltonsmom

If you pm me your email, I can send you what my Beau went thru in his prison training. I believe most of the groups use the same commands and hand signals. I have a manual online I can send you that may help.

Ginny

Guest Sushipet1984

If you pm me your email, I can send you what my Beau went thru in his prison training. I believe most of the groups use the same commands and hand signals. I have a manual online I can send you that may help.

Ginny

That's awesome! I'm unable to send you a PM for whatever reason, but I have no problem sharing my email I use for occasions like this. My email is sashawolffwork@gmail.com. The online manual sounds fantastic. Thank you!