Old Dogs

There have been several posts about old dogs and their special concerns lately. Keeva, my 13 year old grey/whippet mix is recovering from a case of bronchitis. She is taking minocycline and theophylline, appetite is poor but she seems to be feeling better and her breathing is much better. Meds are given after food but she is just not eating much. Hoping her appetite will pick up once she is done with meds. I totally get the worries about old dogs, but there is something really special about the seniors.

I love my oldies, medical issues and all. They can be expensive, messy, obstinate and contrary, and to many people they don't look pretty anymore. I usually don't notice the moth-eaten fur and so on, but I think I'm in the minority. It's very sad, but I see very few really old dogs out and about. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Our very first grey (the one pictured in my avatar) was 8 years old when we adopted her. She was used as a brood and had been waiting for a home for awhile when I stumbled on her. I quickly became obsessed and just knew she was our girl - my husband asked if I was "sure" I wanted to adopt a senior and I remember being surprised that he was even asking!

She was our dear sweet pup until she was almost 14 and I loved every second of it - she was just downright amazing. I'd adopt another senior in a heartbeat! :beatheart

No matter how much they leak, dribble, stumble, etc, seniors are the bestest.

Desi is 12.5. My monthly budget revolves around his medications, supplements, and special yummies.

Our walks revolve around how he is feeling & how far I think he can go, safely.

When he spoons up against my back in bed at night & heaves that big sigh of contentment, I feel like a queen.

Wouldn't trade my old man for a herd of 2 year olds.

We send best wishes to Keeva........feel better soon, sweetie.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Sometimes I feel like this is the Kevorkian house for old greyhounds. Of 11 greyhounds only 2 came to us young. The old ones lasted anywhere from 60 days here to several years, although the average was just over a year.

Mikey is our current senior. He came to us at 12.5 on Thanksgiving and was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. Other than a few bad days you'd never know he was sick.

When he goes there will be room for another old one.

My coworkers think I'm nuts. Guess I'm in that elite group of greyhound lovers that does get it.

In my lifetime I will have had more greyhounds than I ever imagined. I just won't have them for as long as I'd want.

Hugs to you and Keeva. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I hear you! This is the first time in years that I am without a senior - that I brought into the house that way. I have always gotten way more from them than I gave and they took a huge piece of my heart when it was their time to leave. I miss having one around, but my life has changed and I can't give them what they deserve right now. But, there will be another and another and . . . in my house again one day. Hugs and scritches to you and your baby.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Robin1017 :grouphug

I would happily continue to clean up poop, go outside in the middle of the night and spoon feed her anything she wanted, if I could. Just keep doing what you are doing for Keeva and give many kisses ! Old dogs are the very most special beings on this earth.

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Very simply, old dogs are the best dogs. In four years I've lost nine, each has been a unique and special soul who has taken a piece of my heart with them while leaving so much of theirs with me. We say that there is no love like that from an old dog. It is just worth every bit of whatever it takes to be with them until we have to say goodbye.

Very best wishes to you and Keeva.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I love my oldies, medical issues and all. They can be expensive, messy, obstinate and contrary, and to many people they don't look pretty anymore. I usually don't notice the moth-eaten fur and so on, but I think I'm in the minority. It's very sad, but I see very few really old dogs out and about. :(

This struck a chord, though Doc at 13.5 still looks pretty good until one sees him move. He is arthritic, and wobbly, but he still looks forward to walks 3 times a day -even if they only last 5-10 minutes now. As we totter along :gramps I fairly regularly have to explain to people we meet that yes, he is an old chap, a wobbly chap, but also a happy chap - and that getting out is an important part of that, both for his morale and to prevent his joints seizing up.

And when we are back at home he still eats like a horse :chow , and romps with his teddy bear, and wags his tail. These are things he has always done, but like others I have noticed a new depth to his love. He loves more than ever to be cuddled, and sung to (even though I don't sing well!), and each evening after dinner now he comes and settles on the rug beside me on the chaise longue - something he did very rarely in his youth.

Goodness knows how much longer he has got. The vet told me 'I think he will let you know when he has had enough', which I would hope is true. It is painful to see him getting weaker, but I am also happy that for now I can continue to watch him carefully, keep on doling out his medications, and experience his excitement still each morning when I come downstairs and another new day begins :yay .

Well that's enough, especially as I can hear him squeaking about a lunchtime walk from downstairs! Cherish your oldies, everybody!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I love my seniors! Darcy turned 14 y/o on February 5. That old lady is still full of spunk and opinions. I wouldn't trade her for the world and hope she has many more years with us. Our Bonny is 13.5 y/o, Celeste is almost 12 y/o and galga Beatrix is almost 9 y/o.

We've been luck (knock-on-wood) with our four pack. None of them refuse a meal and all are relatively healthy for their ages.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Sometimes I feel like this is the Kevorkian house for old greyhounds. Of 11 greyhounds only 2 came to us young. The old ones lasted anywhere from 60 days here to several years, although the average was just over a year.

Mikey is our current senior. He came to us at 12.5 on Thanksgiving and was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. Other than a few bad days you'd never know he was sick.

When he goes there will be room for another old one.

My coworkers think I'm nuts. Guess I'm in that elite group of greyhound lovers that does get it.

I don't think you're nuts. I think you're a greyhound angel. ;)

This struck a chord, though Doc at 13.5 still looks pretty good until one sees him move. He is arthritic, and wobbly, but he still looks forward to walks 3 times a day -even if they only last 5-10 minutes now. As we totter along :gramps I fairly regularly have to explain to people we meet that yes, he is an old chap, a wobbly chap, but also a happy chap - and that getting out is an important part of that, both for his morale and to prevent his joints seizing up.

And when we are back at home he still eats like a horse :chow , and romps with his teddy bear, and wags his tail. These are things he has always done, but like others I have noticed a new depth to his love. He loves more than ever to be cuddled, and sung to (even though I don't sing well!), and each evening after dinner now he comes and settles on the rug beside me on the chaise longue - something he did very rarely in his youth.

Goodness knows how much longer he has got. The vet told me 'I think he will let you know when he has had enough', which I would hope is true. It is painful to see him getting weaker, but I am also happy that for now I can continue to watch him carefully, keep on doling out his medications, and experience his excitement still each morning when I come downstairs and another new day begins :yay .

Well that's enough, especially as I can hear him squeaking about a lunchtime walk from downstairs! Cherish your oldies, everybody!

That is so sweet. I'm with you; the oldies love to get out, even if it's only for a very short walk. DH took Jeffie into the field today - something we don't do very often anymore because it's a little bit of a walk to get to it, and they have to get under the stile - and he had a wonderful time! But he can't do it every day. Mostly we drive somewhere so they can continue to walk in different places, without walking too far to get there.

Yes, I notice mine get more cuddly as they age. I've had two now that never chattered until they were seniors, then they started to show their affection that way. They love snuggles and hugs, especially when I get down to their level and hug them on their beds. Yes, you have to build up the trust and yes, I continue to watch their body language very carefully and move away when they've had enough .. which is usually when they've stopped air-snapping or pawing at me to continue! :wub:

I hope Jeffie will let us know, too. Actually, what I hope most is that he'll just pass away peacefully in his sleep.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Keeva went on a two day hunger strike, even stopped guarding her food. Just went back to bed after I tried to feed her. She usually will sit by her food until I pick it up so Jack cannot eat it. Back to vet for fluids and a shot of cerenia. But, the cough is better...