Super Duper Pooper!

Guest driser

Guest driser

I am posting this under behavior because we don't think it's a medical issue. Our boy has always been a threes times a day pooper whether we want him to or not. If we don't space out his outings far enough apart his poop is soft. Does anyone else have a Greyhound that you have to plan walks around how long the lower GI has had a chance to do its job (removing water and absorbing nutrients?! There is no going for a walk that doesn't include pooping! My husband constantly reminds me he has never known a dog to poop as much as ours.

always bring poop bag on walks.. any distance include at least 1 poop for Otis..

Abbey waits until she gets back home to do it in her backyard ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Pretty much Annie poos three times a day: First thing in the morning in our fenced yard. Second time is during morning walk about 2 hours later. Third time is afternoon walk about 4 hours after morning walk. Her poos are usually consistent and can be picked up without leaving smears behind except for sometimes her afternoon poos. To combat that, I carry a lunch size paper plate with me, and as she gets into her poo position, I put it under her bottom. The small paper plate goes into the poo bags I use with no problem, and everything remains clean, including the neighbors' lawns.

I would not plan my walks around the consistency of Annie's poos. That's not practical for the human in the house nor her desire to walk.

Guest AngelPup

I am posting this under behavior because we don't think it's a medical issue. Our boy has always been a threes times a day pooper whether we want him to or not. If we don't space out his outings far enough apart his poop is soft. Does anyone else have a Greyhound that you have to plan walks around how long the lower GI has had a chance to do its job (removing water and absorbing nutrients?! There is no going for a walk that doesn't include pooping! My husband constantly reminds me he has never known a dog to poop as much as ours.

My current grey poops three times a day consistently and I feed her a grain free food that doesn't have a lot of filler. My first grey pooped A LOT--many times a day and the more he did, the softer they became (our vet said that was fine and normal as long as the first couple poops are normal). He poop marked and would constantly poop on walks. Walks do get things moving...

I walk her when I can and just bring a plastic grocery bag. If it's VERY loose, than bring a folded piece of paper or rolled up paper plate with you and try to place it under before he goes. Then you can just pick up the paper/plate and throw it in a bag.

Ryder poops EVERY time we go outside, and usually twice per walk. It is not a large amount at a time mind you, he's just cleaning out his system regularly. You know what they say when you get to old age - never pass up the opportunity to go!

Kasey however - I sometimes stop him when he has gone once and might want to go again within a few minutes. I know the second attempt will be mush - always always is. Ewh alert, I tell him "you gotta let it cook a little more"!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Mine poops three or four times a day because we are constantly leash walking. And this is on low residue food.

Poops being softer when there hasn't been a long time since the last one is *totally normal.* Normal poop firmness is substantially dependent on how long it has "been in the pipeline" for water to be absorbed.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Nothing unusual at all about multiple poops, or the fact that they are runny after a few times. That's simply an effect of the food and the GI system. Before you go trying other foods, it's really not a big deal. If your boy is otherwise doing okay on the food you use (no itching, skin flaking, excess shedding) try adding Olewo Carrots to his food to help firm things up.

I top Rocket's kibble with some of the carrots at breakfast and dinner. Rocket has had GI issues off and on for years, and they have all but disappeared since adding the carrots. There are numerous threads on here about the carrots. A little goes a long way, and you will usually see things firm up instantly.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Buck poops 2-4 times a day. George used to poop more and more if I walked for a long time. Kramer pooped five times a day.

They have very efficient digestive systems I guess!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest sireltonsmom

My Mindy is an opportunistic pooper - if we're outside, she'll give a gift. Beau is usually a two or three poos a day guy. I use newspaper under my kids when they commit. Much easier than trying to pick it up, especially if it's soft. I just put it all in a plastic bag and dispose of it.

Guest driser

Thanks for all the feedback! I can tell my husband to rest assured it's normal greyhound behavior ... "turnout time means poop time" ... clearly he's not along in his inability to "unlearn" that.

Guest Johberry

So very timely - lookit the article I came across

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/dog-picky-pooper/?mbid=social_twitter

Interesting article. Thanks for the link! Learn something new every day.

Our boy poops anywhere from 2-4 times a day usually dependent on the menu. He has recently acquired a rather gross interest on tasting poop, so he gets a muzzle with poop guard on walkies now.