Flea/tick Startup Question

Hi all,

Just a sanity check. I took my hounds off worm preventative and flea/tick meds for the winter, and need to re-start them now. I picked up the Frontline Plus, but still need to goto the vet to have the stool sample check.

My question is this: I don't need the stool check to restart the Frontline Plus, right? My understanding is the stool check is to make sure they did not get a worm infection over the winter since starting worm preventative when they have worms can be a problem.

Thanks in advance for the confirmation (or correction if needed).

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Rob, the worm-startup concern is for heartworms, which are prevented with a year-round monthly heartworm preventative rather than by Frontline Plus (and are tested with a blood draw rather than a fecal exam).

No pre-check needed for flea prevention, so you're good to go.

If you should see worms--or if poop suddenly turns pudding-like for no discernable reason--then you'll want to take a fecal sample to the vet. But know that there often are false negatives, depending on what stage a parasite is in.

If you have reason to believe the flea preventative isn't being effective--if you see fleas too soon after application--consult your vet before you double-up and give another dose.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

(Now that I've reread what you posted...)

Did you take your dogs off heartworm preventative over the winter? If so,

1. Don't do that again. ;) See here: https://www.heartwormsociety.org/pet-owner-resources/heartworm-basics Ohio is way too orange on that incidence map...

2. Test one year from your last test AND test again 6 months from now. That link ^^ explains why, but basically, the common test they do in the vet's office only catches worms of a certain age.

A local friend adopted a 9-month old greyhound from a farm. The dog was tested for heartworms and was negative. She got her meds faithfully every month, but she tested POSITIVE at 1 year and 9 months old. It turns out she actually was heartworm-positive at 9 months, but the worms were too young to show on the test. Her mom could have started treatment six months earlier if she'd known to do so. (And, just incidentally, the complete treatment protocol for a heartworm-positive dog takes 271 days. Imagine having to leash-walk a hyper juvenile greyhound for that long!)

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If you are in a region where vets advise taking dogs off HW from October - April (that was the advice 20+ years ago in Chicago but I think many more vets in colder regions are now pushing year around HW prevention) you need a blood test. Heartworms and stool worms (whips, hooks etc.) are two different things.

As stated you don't need any tests to restart Frontline, etc.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

All,

Thanks for the info. I did call the vet ahead of time and asked about going off the worm preventative, but maybe I got confused with the flea/tick. I'll have them do the blood test, as they will be going in for their annual check up anyway, hopefully this week.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Some vets are fine with going off the heartworm preventative in cooler weather, but that's getting to be less and less popular, largely because mosquitoes can hatch quickly and aren't really killed unless temperatures stay below 10F for three consecutive days or something like that. It's too easy to be caught by surprise when the bugs are back out. Besides, what if you want to travel someplace warm for a few days? Who's going to remember the heartworm meds before the trip?

But many heartworm meds also prevent other parasites besides heartworms, and I want that extra protection for my dogs. Preventing hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, etc., is much cheaper than treating for them.

Thanks again for the information. I now have a follow-up question:

I planned to take Logan and Max for their checkup this morning and to get them back on worm preventative -- except that Mr. Max decided not to give me a stool sample on our morning walk. (Mind you, he ALWAYS drops on the morning walk -- except today :angry: -- extended walk, took more time in the back yard -- nothing). So, we didn't go (and of course I end up late for work).

My question is: How long is the stool sample "good" for? I'm thinking I will collect the samples tonight on our evening walk, but that might make it close to 24 hours old by the time it is examined (and I kept the sample Logan gave, which would be maybe 48 hours old). Stored in a plastic doggie dropping bag, could keep it outside if necessary which according to the Cleveland forecast would keep it below 50 F.

Thanks again for the information...

Rob

Article here says refrigeration is best: http://www.petco.com/Content/ArticleList/Article/0/-1/1853/Fecal-Exams-for-Dogs.aspx

Cleveland overnight might not be cold enough. (Most refrigerators are 40F or less.)

When I took my girl in last week for her check-up and rabies shot, I got lucky. Both dogs donated samples in the short walk before I put her in the car to leave. (My guys are healthy--no worms. But they're both registered therapy dogs and they have to have a fecal exam annually to keep their registration.)

ETA: But all reports say fresher is better. Collect a sample, then hope for something fresher before your vet visit.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

My dog stays on Heartworm as well as flea/tick year round.

You do not need to bring in a stool sample to put them on flea/tick. The check for heartworm is, as you know, a blood test. You cannot get a prescription from most vets without the annual "snap" test which includes heartworm.

Most flea/tick treatments are available with prescription. I buy my Frontline Plus on either Amazon.com or 1-800 Pet Meds. It's way cheaper than at the vet.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck