Meet Ronan From Michigan!

Guest Sushipet1984

Guest Sushipet1984

First off, a huge thank you to everyone here. Before I got Ronan, I came here for some tips on picking out my first grey. You all were so helpful and because of your excellent advice, my beautiful brindle boy, Ronan is here.

Ronan is a 2 year old retired racer. After retiring from the track in December, he was immediately placed in The Greyhound Inmate Experience. TGIE is a 10 week program where retired racers are placed with two inmates in a certain prison in Michigan. For 10 weeks the hounds live with the inmates and learn how to be potty trained, how to use stairs, how to socialize AND a ton of tricks The inmates are responsible for bathing and caring for the dog and write weekly journal updates on how he/she is doing. Not only is the program fantastic for the hounds, but the inmates as well. It's a wonderful program!

After graduating from the prison program, Ronan was placed with the local greyhound agency in my area. He was placed in two homes, but bounced both times. The first time was because the family had just lost their 14 year old grey and thought they were ready for a new one... turns out they weren't. The second time was because the family couldn't deal with the amount of gas he passed. No joke.... At any rate, he's here with me and I love him. He is so well behaved, walks on a leash like a dream, knows over 20 tricks, and came with his prison journal, his blanket and toys from the prison, some food, a brand new leash, collar and muzzle.

Me, his new coonhound sister, and my boyfriend are in love with him. :)

9chQetTm.jpg

Ronan with a page from his prison journal!

DxZrOeim.jpg

He's super smart, but totally unsure how to get on the bed. He flops the front half of his body up, but then is totally confused as to how to get the other half up!

eKfhX1jm.jpg

Me and my boy!

Congratulations - he's beautiful! I love the white marking on his face. :wub:

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Welcome! I have a TGIE hound too, I adopted him thru American Greyhound. Who were his handlers? My boy Carter had Harold and Mark, they did a wonderful job with him. I can tell he was loved.

Are you going to come to the GEM event in May? If you haven't heard about it please check out Greyhounds of Eastern Michigan. It is a wonderul event and there will be a seminar about the TGIE program. I am sure they would be thrilled to see you and your hound.

Nothing better than taking a trip with your dogd.

Greytalk is a great site, you will learn a lot from these good people.

Congratulations! :confetti He's very handsome. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing more pictures. Would love to see your coonhound too.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Congreytulations to Ronan and his new family!

If he can't figure out the bed yet, how is he jumping up in the car? :lol

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

The various prison programs are a win-win for everyone! Every time there's a talk about a prison program at one of the greyhound events, I make sure I go hear it! I also saw a program on PBS about a dog foster program at an all female prison - it was fabulous & made me cry!!

Ronan is gorgeous!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Bean_Scotch

Congrats on adopting I adopted by dogs from Allies(Mulberry Irene, KB's Password, PC Dirty Diva, and Mulberry Irene)! Great group to get dogs from, not so much volunteer for!