Jerking Of Head And Chewing Herself

I was not sure if I should put this in this forum or the medical one. For the past several days, Ruby has been jerking herself awake like something is biting her. She then chews on her skin for a second and then goes back to sleep. Some times this will happen many times in a row. It is like she sees a ghost or gets bit by something. She does not have fleas, has not had a bath recently, does not seem to be itchy, no dry skin or dandruff, and sometimes she will go for several hours and not do it. I would say on average she does this 15-20 times a night. She also does not have any new foods and we have not sprayed the yard or house. This jerking wakes her up and she is almost in attack mode to get to the spot. She settles down almost instantly until it hits her again. She does not go after the same spot each time.

Any ideas ?

Karen

Could it be nerve pain? Gabapentin?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Is she only biting her stomach/toward her back end? If so, could be hookworms.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I second the pain theory - I speculate it's some sort of "pins-and-needles" type of pain when mine do this behavior. I have it myself from time to time and it's quite annoying, like getting stung. You should have your vet evaluate her for spinal issues like lumbar stenosis and artthritic changes that could cause nerve impingement.

Gabapentin may indeed help her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Nerve pain.

Or fleas. Just because you haven't seen one, doesn't mean it's impossible. Do you own a flea comb? If so, go over her from top to bottom with it. Just ONE flea can drive some dogs nuts.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes I own a flea comb and she does not have any. I have checked, my husband has and also a friend. She is also on a monthly treatment.

Nerve pain ? I hadn't thought of that. Would there be any other signs ? I have rubbed all over her body to see if there is any kind of sore spots or reaction and I do not get any.

She is not biting only the back end or tail, it seems to be all over her. She was tested for worms a couple months ago and was clear. She is also on the monthly treatment.

She is not currently shedding as she did that about 2 months ago.

She is starting to get arthritis and has trouble getting started after a long nap.

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like it is time for a vet visit.

Karen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest firegypsy

FWIW, my guy did this, and still will on occasion if I stop giving him fish oil. The amount that works for him is 2 gelcaps twice a day. The biting stops. If it starts again I investigate and find out that a. we are out of fish oil and no one told me, or b. people have been slacking with the fish oil.

I can't say 100% why it's helped (inflammation? Dry skin?) but it has. I also have no idea if it would help your hound, but there it is!

• 2 weeks later...

Many people are reporting that many of the flea treatments don't seem to be working any more. Just FYI.

Yes, a vet visit is probably a good idea. Nerve pain is weird--I have it. Often there is no pain at all, and then suddenly out of the blue it's like miniature bolts of lightening.

It could also be itching--I'm not trying to pick a fight about fleas--but that really is exactly how a dog with a bug on it typically acts.

I switched to a Seresto collar this year--kills AND repels fleas and ticks and lasts for 8 months. I hate those oily drops.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck