Sunburnt Buns

Guest kirkevonphilly

Guest kirkevonphilly

The early signs of warm(er) weather are starting to show here which got me thinking about sunburn. First my bald head then my brindle girl's bare buns.

Not limited to the rear, are sunburns something grey owners deal with? I imagine it depends on duration and coat, but just curious.

Guest Lillypad

Good question. Where we are, we... might, ....someday, ...maybe... need to apply sun block. Right now we are battling frost-bite, wind burn and chapped bums. LOL

Edited by Lillypad

I've never used it on my hounds. They are none the worse for wear. Ryder LOVES the sun, he has darker skin as it is. Kasey only suns himself for brief periods and then it's off to the shade or inside. I worry way more about the heat than sun exposure.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've never used it on my hounds. They are none the worse for wear. Ryder LOVES the sun, he has darker skin as it is. Kasey only suns himself for brief periods and then it's off to the shade or inside. I worry way more about the heat than sun exposure.

Me too. Annie isn't a sun lover. The few and short periods of time she condescends to be with me in the back yard, she lays in the shade. Taking walks in the hot weather knocks her out so we walk when the sun isn't high in the sky.

Good question. Aside from sunburn, hounds can suffer from sun-related cancers (e.g., melanoma or hemangiosarcoma). Some sun-related cancers are life-threatening even if caught early, so skin protection is important.

I believe Epi-Pet is still the only dog sunscreen that meets FDA guidelines: http://www.epi-pet.com/sunscreen.aspx

It helps to limit dogs' sun exposure to early morning or evening outings, and seek shaded walking areas.