Heartworm/flea Prevention

Guest ShannyTizzle

Guest ShannyTizzle

Hi guys!

This is my second time asking the forum for help. You steered me in the right path earlier, so I'm hoping you can do the same for me now! I am confused about which heartworm prevention I should give my greyhound. I have seen on earlier posts here everyone recommending the Sentinel, which I plan on getting, but I also see that it protects against fleas perhaps, but not fully? Should I be giving her only the Sentinel, or also a supplementary flea prevention? I don't mind buying both, but if its unnecessary, then I don't want to overload her with drugs. Background: Went to the vet when I first got her (Sept 2014) because she had worms and was given a LOT of meds to get rid of those, in addition to Bravecto (which I purchased 3 months later for flea prevention), and also given an injection for Heartworm, ProHeart 6, I believe. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! :)

Ditto what tbhounds said.

My hounds hated any kind of topical oils for flea protection. They never wanted to chew the Trifexis or Comfortis chewable pills. HeartguardPlus they will easily chew.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Our vet is against the 6month injection. He said the disclaimers patients must sign off is scarey. Google has plenty of horror stories about it also. I use Comfortis and Adams spray if they bring freeloaders in from the sandy alleys. For heart worm prevention ,I use Nuheart form PetShed ( cheap)

Guest AngelPup

If you are FRUGAL like me, than I would suggest Tri-Heart Plus for heart worm. It has the same exact ingredients as HeartGuard Plus, but isn't nearly as expensive. While it is a tablet instead of a 'meaty' chew, Cindy Lou seams to really like the taste too! I tried Iverheart last year, but she didn't like the taste and I had to keep putting it in a glob of peanut butter for her to eat it (sometimes she would spit it out).

I got a good deal here: http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/tri-heart-plus/variation-3621?cvsfa=4090&cvsfe=25&cvsfhu=3631332d3433303230

Bought two packages (full year supply) so I could get free shipping and used a $5.00 coupon, so only paid 67.00.

For flea and tick prevention, I use the Seresto collar. It's still on sale at PetSmart (although call the store as they might be out of stock). http://www.petsmart.com/dog/flea-tick/seresto-flea-tick-dog-collar-zid36-12473/cat-36-catid-100006?var_id=36-12473&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Guest ShannyTizzle

Thank you all for the awesome feedback. Now, another dilemma. Does my doctor have to prescribe these exact medications? I'm trying to order on the internet, but it's saying it needs to verify the prescription with my vet. As I mentioned earlier, they gave her an injection (which I am NOT interested in) and the bravecto. I would like to buy the heartguard for sure and it keeps mentioning this to me. I also don't want to buy from the vet; they charge an arm and a leg. Thanks for any feedback, guys. This is frustrating because I know exactly what I want to get her, but it's not the same as what my vet gave her previously. Help?

Keep in mind that when you purchase the heartgard from your vet should your hound ever return with a positive result Merial will pay for the treatment. Now that said if you still want to order from the internet just ask your vet to ok the request when they receive the fax for approval. The Seresto collar does not require a prescription.

Guest AngelPup

Thank you all for the awesome feedback. Now, another dilemma. Does my doctor have to prescribe these exact medications? I'm trying to order on the internet, but it's saying it needs to verify the prescription with my vet. As I mentioned earlier, they gave her an injection (which I am NOT interested in) and the bravecto. I would like to buy the heartguard for sure and it keeps mentioning this to me. I also don't want to buy from the vet; they charge an arm and a leg. Thanks for any feedback, guys. This is frustrating because I know exactly what I want to get her, but it's not the same as what my vet gave her previously. Help?

I ordered on-line for the first time recently and the on-line pharmacy contacted my vet directly for a script. Unfortunately, my vet's office doesn't sign off on fax requests. I had to get an actual script for Tri-Heart Plus from my vet and mail it in to them (the pharmacy wouldn't accept a faxed copy from me). Kind of a pain, but the savings still outweighed the postage stamp and extra time.

Just be sure you are purchasing the meds on a reputable and certified on-line pharmacy. There are a lot of bogus sites out there that repackage expired meds. You can check for certification here -> http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vet-vipps/find-a-vet-vipps-online-pharmacy

Edited by AngelPup

Guest ShannyTizzle

Thank you to ALL of you guys for your advice! All is well and I was able to get my meds for my Gardenia on time. Love this forum!!!! :)