Senior Fecal Incontinence

My 14.5-year-old has had her second episode of fecal incontinence. The first episode was unclear, but yesterday, I saw her tail go up and her sphincter strain to poo. It was not an episode of poo just falling out. We are fine with just cleaning up after here, if that;s what needs to happen. But I am wondering what others have experienced. Zola is a senior, with hind end weakness. Her muscle tone is better than average for her age, but she still collapses. We take her out twice a week--she refuses to go any more frequently. She is regularly on Soloxine, Benazepril, Rimaldy, and Proin, with Tramadol as needed. I have looked into water therapy for her hind end and will take her in next week.

Is there anything I am missing? We would rather clean up after her than put her in a diaper at present.

Thanks,

Vanitha

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

I buy 24" square disposable puppy pads really cheap at Ocean State Job Lot. When Robin is lying down, sometimes his tail will suddenly go up and poop will come out. Sometimes he has no idea, especially overnight. It wasn't as gross back when it was bouncy....but now it's softer and ickier. So I tuck the pee pad under his butt so that when it does come out, I just slide the pad out from under him, bag it up, and toss it. I end up needing to wash his fur with a wet cloth, but at least then I don't have to worry about cleaning the floor, dog bed, or furniture!

Another thing that has helped is the assistance harness I got from godsgreyts on etsy. Carol makes them and it has really been a lifesaver, because I can help him up when he is having trouble. I've also been doing physical therapy, which includes laser treatments and water therapy, to keep his hind end strong, and that has been a real help.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness?ref=related-0

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

My almost 13 yr old can't control her poops either. I just deal with it because she has no idea when it is coming. Luckily they aren't soft. I have pee pads under the blankets on her bed. She does wear a doggie diaper, which she doesn't mind, when I go out because she will sometimes pee when she is sleeping. My gf takes care of her elderly aunt who has the sme problem. I'd rather be dealing with this. She isn't in pain and is sometimes still very playful.

• 3 months later...

Just want to point out something I picked up regarding your meds--giving proin (which raises BP) and benzepril seems counterintuitive.

Also, you memtioned that she actually postured to defecate--that's not fecal incontintence. She may be dealing with a degree of dementia.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone been able to determine a way to help with the incontinence. Zelda has been starting to worry me as she's getting older. In the last month, there's been a couple instances of poop just popping out of her rear, and I know she doesn't even know it's happening. I came home tonight to find some in the office...mind you, she had access to the dog door and ALWAYS uses it, so I know it's happening as she sleeps (that's what happened last time). I'm debating about a diaper for the nighttime...does anyone know where to get girl panties/diapers that fit greyhounds? She's about 62 lbs.

I'm lucky for each day I get with her as her sire was only 6 when he passed from cancer.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

What Robin said is exactly my experience.

Liberty had nerve damage and arthritis of the spine. the dog does not know the poo is falling out. That's why you have very clean dogs leaving poo behind. It especially happened when Liberty went to get up. The vet explained the biomechanical reasons for that.

I learned to watch for the tail rising. She'd be sound asleep and the tail would start to go up. I'd grab a tissue and "make a catch". Done. Fortunately, her poo remained well formed (I said many a prayer of thanksgiving for that).

As long as she was enjoying life, it was fine with me.

Trust me, fecal incontinence is much easier to deal with than urinary.

Liberty only wore dog panties at night or when left home alone. Again, if poo is well formed, this isn't like a diaper. She'd go to stand up and the poo would fall out. It would essentially roll around in the panties. I'd take them off, roll the poo into the toilet and toss the panties in the wash (or even do a quick sink laundry).

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Guest FordRacingRon

So has anyone been able to determine a way to help with the incontinence. Zelda has been starting to worry me as she's getting older. In the last month, there's been a couple instances of poop just popping out of her rear, and I know she doesn't even know it's happening. I came home tonight to find some in the office...mind you, she had access to the dog door and ALWAYS uses it, so I know it's happening as she sleeps (that's what happened last time). I'm debating about a diaper for the nighttime...does anyone know where to get girl panties/diapers that fit greyhounds? She's about 62 lbs.

I'm lucky for each day I get with her as her sire was only 6 when he passed from cancer.

Leia is almost 12 1/2 and she has trouble when she sleeps,,but just occasionally and only peeing. I was looking into these for here

http://www.dogquality.com/products/washable-wonders-dog-diaper-female?amz=amazon-pads&cpc=cpc&SKU=DD-209

Someone mentioned on fb that they use human baby diapers, they just cut a hole for the tail and said it's a lot cheaper.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross