Starting Work Tomorrow... Tips For Me And My Grey's Anxiety?!

Guest Sushipet1984

Guest Sushipet1984

Well after a home visit with not 3, but FOUR greys, I picked out Ronan, a sweet 2 and a half year old brindle boy. He's super clingy and follows me or my boyfriend around everywhere. Other than that he's quiet and smart as hell. He seems totally disinterested in my current dog, a coonhound, but I'm hoping they'll warm up to each other eventually.

As for his background, after being retired in Nov of last year, he was enrolled in something called the Greyhound Inmate Experience where two inmates work with him for 10 weeks, teaching him tricks, how to tackle stairs, how to socialize etc. After graduating in February he was in a foster home and then bounced twice. The first time was because the couple thought they were ready for another greyhound after their 12 year old greyhound died. Turns out they weren't. The second time was because he farted too much. No joke. Yes, he's a stinky boy at times, but he's just nervous!

During Saturday's in-home, I watched all the dogs and played with them, asking the adoption agency about the dogs' personalities/behaviors. When I asked about noise-level or SA in any of the greys, it was a fawn named Maxi they singled out. Ronan and the other the two hounds visiting were all the quiet ones with the standard amount of SA/clinginess.

And don't get me wrong! He is quiet! When I'm with him...

Now, I may be overreacting because I live in an apartment complex, but he whines when I'm gone. I've only done 4 sessions of alone training ranging in times from 5 to 20 minutes and he will whine sporadically the entire time. There's a little bit of a bark here and there, but it's not too bad. When I walk back through the door, he roo's at me and starts talking. It's ADORABLE, but I read I'm not supposed to make a big deal about my commings and goings to help him adjust.

Anyway, again.... I'm probably overreacting, but starting tomorrow (I took the day off for him today) I have to go back to my 8-5 job and I'm so paranoid I'll receive a noise-complaint email while I'm at work. I already am in love with this pup and don't want him to ever have to be bounced AGAIN. Any tips to help ME and HIM with our anxiety tomorrow?

Continue your alone training and freeze up a kong or two with peanut butter and some kibble within it for him to concentrate on. You'll get lots of help here but those are the two I'll offer for now :) However, is he going to be crated while you are gone?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Sushipet1984

Yes!! I suppose I should have answered that. No, he will not be crated. I was told he would be fine with free roam, baby gates or a crate. My coonhound free roams, so I thought it would be best if they could both! :)

If you think your apartment management folks will be reasonable, it's probably best to be upfront with the situation, that you expect there may be a transition period, rather than waiting for a complaint.

Also, if you've been doing alone training without going very far, he may still know you're there and that's why he's whining. I'm amazed how sensitive my boy's ears are. If Leo knows I'm within earshot, whining commences, but I've checked and checked and checked with the neighbors and they swear he's quiet when we're not there.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

My television is left on for the hounds ... although I keep the phone far away (because I think Riley likes the women hosts on QVC ... or maybe its the UPS driver?). I like it better than a radio for giving background noises for the hound.

And ditto what PatricksMom said about hound 'ears' ... Riley knows I'm in the yard. Good luck!

Guest daytonasmom

When Daytona came to live with me, he started out with a little howling at first when he was alone, but it stopped before too long (less than a month). Frozen kong with peanut butter is a trick I used too.

Advice for YOU - I've had Daytona for a year now, and still miss him a lot during the day (I work 8-5 too). I haven't put any pictures of him at my desk or on my computer's desktop because it would make MY separation anxiety worse! LOL There are tons of pics on my phone, and I look at those when I need a fix :) That's what has helped me adjust to being away from him.

It's amazing how fast these guys grow on you!

Guest Dancer

When Daytona came to live with me, he started out with a little howling at first when he was alone, but it stopped before too long (less than a month). Frozen kong with peanut butter is a trick I used too.

Advice for YOU - I've had Daytona for a year now, and still miss him a lot during the day (I work 8-5 too). I haven't put any pictures of him at my desk or on my computer's desktop because it would make MY separation anxiety worse! LOL There are tons of pics on my phone, and I look at those when I need a fix :) That's what has helped me adjust to being away from him.

It's amazing how fast these guys grow on you!

Yep separation anxiety can be on both sides! Lol I too don't have pictures of my pups at work - too distractingI think it is mostly because we are doing fun stuff when I'm off work. Edited by Dancer

Guest driser

Our guy had SA. Our rule is walk his butt off before he's to be home along for long spell ... a tired dog is a good dog. Then leave radio on ...

Guest kisstherain

I use this technique where I give my hound breakfast and then sneak out while she is busy eating and she never notices me leaving, let alone whine. It also associates me leaving as something good, and after her morning walk it seems like she is shooing me out the door so she can have breakfast ha ha!