Huge Milestone

Well, after a year and a half with the 2 hounds, we have finally and successfully integrated them with the cats!

Initially we were concerned the one hound was prey driven and not safe with cats (even though he was deemed ok by the rescue). So we kept everyone completely separated. He had a tendency to just stare at them. We were concerned this was a bad sign.

Well one day we just said enough was enough.

A week of watching the hounds with their muzzles on with the cats around (while we were around) and everyone is good. In fact, the cats have taken their place as higher on the food chain than the dogs. The hounds are very aware of the fact that the cats do not like them, and know 100% to not go near them. They were initially interested in them of course since it was something new, but now they couldn't care less they are around.

We still crate the hounds when we aren't around, but otherwise everyone is happy to have the whole house.

I am very excited about this. I know I had started a thread a while ago about the cats but couldn't find it to save my life.

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Guest FloridaGirl

Woo! I can attest to the sheer joy one feels when you can finally realize the dream of having your animals all live at peace with each other (within reason - like crating when away). But still - I know this joy personally as I have two house rabbits. Claymore went from general interest to mild annoyance to completely ignoring their existence. I know never the twain shall meet, but it's such a relief having these critters that I love dearly coexist in a calm and relaxed household, where all animals are loved and safe.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, that is an achievement!

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Thanks! I am very happy about this :)

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Good job!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.