Bloodwork Results

Hi guys!

I don't post on here very often, I'm more of a lurker. I was hoping you all could help me with interpreting the bloodwork results from my girl, Caily. She's almost 9 years old and hasn't ever had any health issues before but during her wellness exam I went ahead and did a senior panel just as a precaution. The vet said everything looked normal except her kidney values were a little high. But I do know that greyhound blood values typically differ from normal values. Her results were the following: WBC- 7.6 RBC- 7.26 HGB- 17.2 HCT/PCV- 53.0 MCV- 73 MCHC- 32.5 Polys- 75 Lymphs- 18 Monos- 5 Eos- 1 Platelet count- 261 BUN- 28 Creatinine- 2.2 Total Protein- 6.0 Albumin- 2.7 T4 RIA 1.3

She did end up with a mild UTI which shes now on antibiotics for. I know most of this is probably normal, but of course I'm a big worrier about anything being wrong with my girl. Thank you all so much! :thumbs-up

I don't see anything that appears worrisome. Greyhounds renal values run on the higher side. My boys creatinine always runs at 2.2--that's normal for him. What you should do is check a first morning urine sample (once the uti is resolved)-you would be checking how well the kidneys are concentrating the urine (urine specific gravity). Ideally, you want to see the number at or above 1.030.

Here's a link to gh values.

http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/Greyhound_Health_Packet_08.pdf

The BUN and Creat are at levels that (to me) warrant further testing ... specifically doing a urinalysis to check for specific gravity and whether there is protein in the urine. The urine should be a first morning overnight specimen. My Larry's BUN was normal with just a slightly high creat but, his specific gravity runs low and because of that, he is on a homemade kidney diet (less protein) which he has been on for more than 10 years now.

The BUN and Creat are at levels that (to me) warrant further testing ... specifically doing a urinalysis to check for specific gravity and whether there is protein in the urine. The urine should be a first morning overnight specimen. My Larry's BUN was normal with just a slightly high creat but, his specific gravity runs low and because of that, he is on a homemade kidney diet (less protein) which he has been on for more than 10 years now.

MaryJane- would you be willing to share the homemade diet you make for Larry ? I too have a dog with a slight kidney problem and one who doesn't eat very well. I would love trying home made food for her and her kidneys.

Thank you.

Karen

MaryJane- would you be willing to share the homemade diet you make for Larry ? I too have a dog with a slight kidney problem and one who doesn't eat very well. I would love trying home made food for her and her kidneys.

Thank you.

Larry loves his food and always finishes the bowl. He also has allergies to chicken and noodles so they are not in his diet but you could substitute them in.

breakfast - 5 tablespoons cooked white rice, 1 cup cooked mixture of grits (1 tablespoon), 5 minute oats, and quick cooking oats cooked for 5 minutes. The grits has less protein than the oatmeal which is why a small amount is added. 5 level tablespoons (1/4 - 1/3 cup) of either cooked hamburger or chunks of cooked roast (more is NOT better). This gets mixed with almond milk until the consistency is pasty. I used to mix with milk, but almond milk has less protein.

Breakfast supplements - 1 calcium pill (500 and NO vit D) and 1 multi-vitamin. He used to get 2 calcium pills but I changed suppliers and I think the new pills are more potent. The multivitamin should not have phosphorous.

treat - homemade cookie (rice flour, wheat flour, peanut butter, a bit of cheese)

snack - a teaspoon of peanut butter, a few potato chips, and about 1 slice of bread toasted with margarine.

Dinner - 2 to 2 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup veggies (green beans, broccoli, carrots, zucchini), and between 1/4 to 1/3 cup hamburger or meat chunks.

Dinner supplement - 1 calcium pill (500 mg with NO added vit D) and a fish oil capsule.

treat - dog cookie

snack - 2 tablespoons yogurt and 1 tablespoon applesauce

I originally got this recipe from Dr. Remaillaid who was an Angel Memorial .. since then she has started he own website providing nutritional consults.

Larry is now a tad over 13 and doing OK. He's a big boy so has trouble getting around. One important note is to make sure that you get a urine done at least once a year (maybe twice) and it should be a first morning specimen just to make sure nothing changes in the values.