Choosing My Grey

Guest Sushipet1984

Guest Sushipet1984

Tomorrow I have three greys coming over for an in-home visit! This is part of the adoption process for our local adoption agency. After being approved for adoption, you pick 2-3 hounds of the website and then those hounds are brought to your house for a 2-3 hour visit. The purpose of this is to see what dog fits best with you and your family (spouse, children, current dogs) etc. It's a pretty cool process.

At any rate, one of the hounds will hopefully be mine tomorrow, but I'm wondering what I should look for! Also, what should I have on hand immediately to make my new family member most comfortable?

I think you will know. We did not have home visit in my case, but we were at the kennel and looked at multiple hounds and decided on which ones we wanted to see outside in the fenced yard. We knew right away for Jack because when he got out of his kennel he went right away for my hand for some pets and stayed there. Another one jumped on someone - we did not want a dog that was too energetic, another one didn't even looked at us when we passed her kennel, she just wasn't interested and so on.

You will also see which one "fits" the most. I think you will just feel it. Good luck :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I agree with the above. We had a home visit with three female greys. I had been eyeing Sweep on the website for a while so she was the frontrunner before I even met her, but as it turned out she was also the best fit for us. One of the girls was a shy, spooky girl who was wary of men, so my husband and I didn't feel equipped for that with our first grey. The other girl was very sweet but a bit more reserved than Sweep, who strolled right in and leaned on me. Sweep also aced the stairs on her first try and did well meeting our two cats (though they were less than impressed with her, and remain so to this day). So for us it was a pretty clear choice of which one seemed like she'd adapt the quickest and ease two long-term cat people into dog ownership.

As far as what to have available, there are some good recent threads here, here, and here. Have you read Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies or Adopting the Racing Greyhound? They're both very helpful.

Good luck on your home visit! Please keep us posted--preferably with some pics of your new hound! :)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

:goodluck

And... we will need pictures. It's in our rules ;)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Sushipet1984

You are all so kind! I'm very excited to join this group. I think maybe it is the type of people that adopt greyhounds, but everyone I've met that owns a grey is so bighearted!

Guest ladyhound

Good luck at your home visit! As everyone has said, you'll probably find yourself drawn to one in particular. Mainly cause they will pick you out and let you know that they're the one. :D Enjoy this time, it's so much fun to meet your new family member. Looking forward to updates!

Yup, I agree, you'll know because the hound will probably pick you. Your thoughts might be that you're interested in a small female and you might end up with a big lug of a boy :)

Our Diego picked us by leaning on us for an hour during a M&G and ignoring other people- we were not even looking for a hound, just attending the M&G!

ETA-It would help if I could spell.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest sireltonsmom

If you have sliding glass doors, please put tape at the chosen dog's eye level so it knows not to run into it. Offer water to the dogs who visit you and a small treat if you have some. Enjoy your new grey! Do the recommended reading and choose a grey savvy vet for it.

Guest Sushipet1984

If you have sliding glass doors, please put tape at the chosen dog's eye level so it knows not to run into it. Offer water to the dogs who visit you and a small treat if you have some. Enjoy your new grey! Do the recommended reading and choose a grey savvy vet for it.

Oh! I like that! I knew about the sliding glass doors, but didn't even think to offer the dogs anything when they come! I guess I should remember that they are just like two-legged guests at my place. (I'll be sure to offer their human traveling companions something to drink as well! haha!)

Oh my gosh, he's so cute! Congratulations! Is he home already?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Sushipet1984

Oh my gosh, he's so cute! Congratulations! Is he home already?

Yup Tracey! He's home with me already! He is already starting to show his personality and I couldn't be happier!!!

Oh my, he is handsome! Welcome to GT and congrats on your adoption!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Congratulations on your new boy, and welcome to the Allies family. Ronan is such a sweet boy and such a character. He loves everybody. Hope to meet you at one of our events.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG