Share Your Home Cooked Dog Food Recipes?

Guest AbbyH

Guest AbbyH

My two girls stopped eating their kibble within two days of each other (5 star grain free). One did great on it for 10 months, the other 8 months. Out of desperation after 1 1/2 weeks I flavored it up with canned food. They chomped it all down. I could have bought a lot of good tasting food with the $300 I've spent at the vet...

So... I've decided I either want to cook their food (if I can afford it) or do half cooked and half kibble. The problem is I don't know how to ensure they get the nutrition that they need. I'm thinking either ground turkey and rice or chicken and rice as the main ingredients.

I would appreciate it if some of you would be kind enough to share your recipes.

Thanks in advance.

There are several good recipe books out there with advice about supplements and such to make your home cooked food balanced. Hopefully some folks will jump on and post some links for you. This is the diet we're using with one of ours right now, but everyone seems to like it *very* well! You'll need to add a calcium supplement to this for long-term use.

1 bunch radishes including leaves, chopped

3-4 stalks celery with leaves, chopped

2 medium beets (no greens), chopped

1 lb beef liver

1 lb beef heart

1 lb ground turkey

2 cups gluten free instant oats

Combine first 3 ingredients in a blender/food processor with a enough water to puree easily. Put in crock pot. (may take a couple batches)

Combine next 3 ingredients in a blender/food processor with enough water to puree easily. Add to crock pot. (may take a couple batches)

Add 2 cups oats to crock pot. Stir to combine. Cook in crock pot for 8 hours on med-low. Stir every 2 hours or as needed.

Feed along with an equal amount of boiled and mashed, plain orange sweet potatoes, to equal 1 cup of each per day. IE - 1/2 cup sweet potatoes with 1/2 crock pot stew twice per day.

If you're feeding this along with a processed dog food, you may be fine with the vitamins and minerals from the commercial food.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This is really an add in and not much of a recipe, but my girls love it.

I cook chicken leg quarters until the bones mush. About the last hour I add chopped zucchini, cellery, carrots or chopped apple; sans the seeds and let it finish cooking. I add a heaping tablespoon full to each meal. They love it.

If you are doing completely homecooked you will have to worry more about supplements, etc. If you are adding cooked food into kibble (say 30-40%...which most dogs will gulp down if mixed with kibble) you don't have to worry so much, especially with the calcium.

I feed raw but have a picky senior so often do cooked add-ins. This is loosely based on Lew Olsen's diet plans (note it is not a complete diet as it is only a mix-in...to make it complete you would have to add calcium and a few supplements):

1.5 cups boneless meat (I rotate between chicken, turkey, beef and canned fish such as salmon or sardines)..cooked fats tend to cause issues so try to stay with lean cuts.

1/4 cup cottage cheese (if your dog is okay with dairy)

1 egg

1/4 cup liver (add a bit of kidney or heart too if you can find it)

3/4 cup pureed or cooked and mashed veggies like sweet potato, dark leafy greens, etc.

fish oil (optional)

Since kibble is normally at least 60% grains, I personally don't feel the need to add additional grains or a lot of carbs. I like to stick more with meat and veggies. Happy cooking! I personally find it very satisfying to prepare the pups food fresh!

Dogaware.com has a recipe for home made diets. A lot of other good articles too.

I never would have thought about beets and radishes Greysmom, i'm sure they are full of nutrients however

We are currently treating her for IBS with an accupuncture/chinese medicine veterinarian. The recipe is supposed to help balance her energies and decrease the inflammation in her gut. Plus, she seems to like it. The radishes and beets add a lot of vitamins and minerals, as well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest daytonasmom

My boy had a very sensitive stomach the first several months he came to live with me (about a year ago). I tried a few different kinds of food with no luck, then gave up and went to a specialty pet food store and just asked for help. The owner had other customers with greyhounds and the food she recommended is working great - it's called Wishbone, I think she said it was from New Zealand. Lots of protein and not much in the way of fillers. Pet food store owner also suggested I boil ground turkey, then cook rice in the same water to give it more flavor. I put that in with his 2 meals, and just rice and turkey for a snack before bed. Both the food and the rice/turkey mix have been great, and Daytona really likes both.

The recipe suggestions here are great - maybe I'll try some for a special treat! Not that he's spoiled or anything... :)