Flea And Tick Prevention

Guest ms3569

I used the Preventic collars on my three last year and saw no ticks.

We use Revolution for Heartworm.

I did the same thing :) 3 dogs/3 Preventic's/and no ticks last year so we're doing the same thing again this year.

Guest AngelPup

Does the Seresto Collar actually last the 8 months it says?

I kept it on for over 9 months last year and didn't notice any 'bugs' at the end. We didn't do much hiking last year though, so the real test will be the end of this season.

I kept it on for over 9 months last year and didn't notice any 'bugs' at the end. We didn't do much hiking last year though, so the real test will be the end of this season.

The collar won't last quite 8 months if you bathe your dog more than once a month or if they swim very frequently.

All of the vets here in San Diego are pushing the "orals". I refuse to give my dog any oral parasite control. I have used Frontline Plus as it has been proven safe for greyhounds. You HAVE to put it on every 30 days. You can't let it lapse. Fleas/ticks will still bite with the orals. They will not bite with the Frontline Plus.

Incorrect. Ticks will still attach, they will just die before they can transmit disease.

In use Frontline Plus simply because it's what everyone was using 10 years ago when I first adopted and I haven't had a reason to change (don't fix what isn't broke, right? :P) But I admit I'd love to not have to deal with the mess. I'm always delaying putting it on because I don't want to do it before bed because the dogs sleep with me and then I forget in my rush to get to work in the morning. :rolleyes:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I did the same thing :) 3 dogs/3 Preventic's/and no ticks last year so we're doing the same thing again this year.

I don't have a flea problem, but ticks are bad. I have been using the preventic collars for years. I usually get them in packs of five from eBay. I start shopping early, and buy when I find a good deal.

I haven't found any ticks on the dogs, but I have found several a week on me.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Billysmom

I just adopted a beautiful, and very fortunate, grey boy named Billy. He was apparently fine until he began receiving Trifexis. It took having seizures for three months in a row to make the connection that they were happening immediately following the administering of the Trifexis. Poor baby! Even worse, he was brutally attacked during one of the seizures, as the other dogs he was with at the time (I don't know where that was) viewed it as an act of aggression, and really tore into him. The scars on the top of his head and on his legs will never heal over with hair. He's now on 2 anti seizure medications plus a thyroid med to help beef up his poor little thin coat. His butt and neck are totally bare. :( Bottom line.... I think I'd stay away from the Trifexis.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we recently moved from N KY to Fla, never had problems with fleas until now, I started using advantix II on him and he gets really itchy all over his body for at least a week. And we found out he is allergic to flea bites. Anyone had a reaction like this before and if so, any suggestions what to try next, that won't have him so itchy.

Guest AngelPup

We tried Advantix once and Cindy Lou wanted to crawl out of her skin--it was awful! I called customer service and was told it wasn't the flea/tick meds, but the chemical they use with it. It's a known issue.

Switched to the Seresto collar and have been happy so far!

Glad this post got bumped, as I posted a different thread about this myself. I think we'll stay away from the oral meds combining more than one treatment - especially given our girl is a seizure dog and seems to have no problems with just her heartworm med.

Very interesting about the Seresto collars - when we first adopted 11 years ago, we were told to stay away from collars or flea baths/dips/shampoos and we've just used Frontline. We don't have a huge flea problem so we normally only treat them when we are going to board. We've only had 2 ticks in 11 years, so also not a huge concern. BUT - if the collars are effective and safe, that's definitely a possibility.

Guest Bean_Scotch

I'm a huge fan of Certifect and Frontline Plus. When it's 'bad' I alternate Certifect and Frontline Plus every other month. I've also used the Advantage Spray and Adam's Spray with success on many, many Greyhounds.