Flea And Tick Prevention

Guest ms3569

Guest ms3569

I recently adopted a grey. Can anyone tell me what products are best to use for flea and tick prevention? I was concerned about the topical applications due to grey thin skin. Anxious for spring but not the ticks.

First of all, congratulations and welcome! Please tell us about your new greyhound and post pictures!

I use Advantage because Frontline seemed too so working in our area a few years ago, but I don't use it much. I also give them Flea Treats year fluid, a natural remedy, mostly made of B vitamins. I use Advantage once a year at the beginning of summer on Doodles, it's taking longer for Bowie's body longer to get the Flea Treats to work alone.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We use the Seresto flea and tick collar. It is greyhound safe. No bugs so far.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest AngelPup

Me too and they are currently on sale at Petsmart when you purchase two--First collar was $49.95 & the second was $25!

Us too!! I was just going to mention this!

In the past, I've used Frontline Plus with no real issues, but heard from many people it wasn't as effective as in the past so we switched to Advantix. Unfortunately, Advantix made Cindy Lou want to crawl out of her skin--it was horrible, so we stopped using that and bought the Serento collar. We've been very happy with it and it's much less expensive than the other options--especially if you take advantage of Petsmart's sale!

Edited by AngelPup

I use Advantix II on Annie, when she needs it. Last year, Annie never had a flea until we spent a weekend in October with relatives whose dogs had fleas. That's when I used the Advantix II for the first time. We don't have much of a tick problem where I now live and because Annie is so light, I'd see a tick on her (I do check between legs and on her belly).

Edited by Feisty49

If you haven't already done so, every newly adopted dog should be taken to the vet, who can recommend appropriate and safe treatments for your area. Your dog may or may not have been tested by your adoption group. Unless you have proof of a negative heartworm test, if heartworm meds are required in your area, you won't get a vet to prescribe them. The test is easy and inexpensive. Depending on your area, your dog may or may not need a Lyme vaccine, which it is unlikely he will have been given. Also, you should, as a matter of course, have his or her stool checked for parasites. Through not fault of their own, many newly adopted dogs of ALL breeds arrive carrying visitors you'd just as soon they be rid of. And you need to have your vet see the dog healthy! So, off you go!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I use NexGard also for my two greys. I had used Frontline, which worked fine, but I didn't like the liquid on their backs, waiting for it to dry, etc. NexGard was suggested by my vet, it is chewable, and has worked really well. On my black colored boy I found two dead ticks which I might have not spotted otherwise. They gobble up the chews like a treat and have had no ill effects. You have to get it from a veterinarian though.

Guest mmmberry

I second GeorgeofNE's recommendation. Our very first grey had no parasites, etc. Our second grey is a different story. I should have taken her straight from the adoption event to her new vet. Would have saved a lot in -ahem- cleaning bills. Also, you can get prescription flea and tick meds that work for your dog and your area. We've never had success with over the counter brands.

Guest FloridaGirl

I've got Claymore on Bravecto because the tick issue in our area is massive, and I can't take the chance of using liquids around my bunnies. It's working well and he's shown no adverse reactions. It's fairly new on the market, so you may not be able to find it in your area, depending. I posted about it (along with studies and pharm info) in the health board if you're curious. :)

Congrats on the new friend, and good luck!

We use the Seresto flea and tick collar. It is greyhound safe. No bugs so far.

Is it safe for the dogs to wear around cats?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I used the Preventic collars on my three last year and saw no ticks.

We use Revolution for Heartworm.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

When a fea/tick collar is on the dog -- do you ever worry about the HUMAN getting a dose of the poison?

before moving to AZ , I never thought about flea/tick issues,, they weren't an issue in Ut. But in Arizona, I have Ticks and am

struggling with what to use. I don't like the topical, greasy mess for a couple days - I don't want to touch the dog,, and if I don't want it on me,, why would I put it on my dog.. The collars basically the same thing. they freak me out having a constant poison around their neck, exactly where I want to snuggle and pet and love on them.

I do uses several essential oils, but I have to spray the dog daily.. it is a constant thought process. and I'm lazy and often forget, then

I am picking ticks off my dog!!

eww,, I hate ticks!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest AimeeBee

I used Advantix II most of last year and will probably use it again this season. We tried about 3 months of Frontline Plus before switching but it didn't seem to be as effective.

I like that Advantix has mosquito repellant (essential when we were living less than 2 blocks from a large river), however it seems to leave more residue than Frontline did.

Guest AngelPup

When a fea/tick collar is on the dog -- do you ever worry about the HUMAN getting a dose of the poison?

before moving to AZ , I never thought about flea/tick issues,, they weren't an issue in Ut. But in Arizona, I have Ticks and am

struggling with what to use. I don't like the topical, greasy mess for a couple days - I don't want to touch the dog,, and if I don't want it on me,, why would I put it on my dog.. The collars basically the same thing. they freak me out having a constant poison around their neck, exactly where I want to snuggle and pet and love on them.

I do uses several essential oils, but I have to spray the dog daily.. it is a constant thought process. and I'm lazy and often forget, then

I am picking ticks off my dog!!

eww,, I hate ticks!!!

I, too, worried about this before using the Serento collar. There have been some studies that showed it's safe for people to handle, but I'm not sure where I found that. Sure made me feel better, though. Anyway, I guess it's not all that different than putting pesticide on the back as most people pet there too. But with the collar, at least you can see where it is and avoid it if you're not comfortable touching it. And if you do touch it, just wash your hands.

I was wondering if anyone used Nexgard and what they thought. Glad to see positive feedback.

Anyone know anything about Frontline Tritak? Just received something in the mail from Meriel about it. Supposed to work 3 x faster than Frontline Plus.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Once a vet's given him a once over, if you let us know what part of the country you're in, we can give better recommendations about what will work. Frontline worked very well for a decade in Delaware, after I moved to South Carolina we had fleas in less than a month. Now I use Trifexis + Frontline Plus for ticks.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MaggieMae

All of the vets here in San Diego are pushing the "orals". I refuse to give my dog any oral parasite control. I have used Frontline Plus as it has been proven safe for greyhounds. You HAVE to put it on every 30 days. You can't let it lapse. Fleas/ticks will still bite with the orals. They will not bite with the Frontline Plus. It takes 3 to 4 months for it to work if you have fleas in your house as you have to wait for the fleas to die as they are not getting the blood they need to multiply. (One of the ingredients in the Frontline Tritak is not safe for greyhounds). Forget which ingredient. So I would never give that.

I am sure to get my Frontline Plus from a Vet that gets it directly from Merial. I will not buy it from Costco as Merial does not vouch for it and it is repackaged so who knows how old it is. Frontline has around a 2 hear shelf life. I suspect this may be why Frontline is getting a bad press on not working any longer. I use a Merial coupon for which the Vet has to submit with their Merial Rep Acct # so I know it is the real deal. Go the to Merial website and print out the coupon. But good luck on finding vets that will still have Frontline as they are on the Big Pharma Bandwagon for the Oral Prescriptions. I am so tired of researching all of the different flea products and am so glad that the Frontline Plus is working beautifully on my dogs.

Is it safe for the dogs to wear around cats?

Seresto also makes a collar for cats.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Me too and they are currently on sale at Petsmart when you purchase two--First collar was $49.95 & the second was $25!

I have run out of topicals so started reading this forum. Would you still recommend this product vs. Frontline or any of the other topicals?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen any adverse reaction to the Seresto collar? Maybe it is coincidental but Cooper has been off her food a bit since I put the Seresto on her on Saturday. She has been eating the same food (Nature's Domain) since we got her in Sept. 2013 and our foster is gobbling it up as usual but I did not put the collar on the foster.