Elevated Bowls Or Not?

Guest Cardiffcouple

Guest Cardiffcouple

Hi all! Rocky was just acting funny, as in maybe he had bloat. I poked and prodded and don't think he does. He seems fine now. However, in Googling bloat in Greyhounds it mentioned NOT to use an elevated bowl. I did more Googling and read that one MUST use an elevated bowl for food and water. Would you please share with me what you do?

Thank you!

Rainy does better eating out of an elevated bowl. Sunshine does better with the bowl in the floor. If it's elevated she will stretch her belly like it bothers her. Maybe too much air gets in there?

I think it depends on the dog to which is better.

------

Jessica

The answer seems to be whatever works best for the dog. Here is a Bloat Reference Chart you can print out and keep handy. I keep ours on the refrigerator. http://www.bmd.org/bmdcr/bloat_chart.pdf

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest FloridaGirl

I've always fed tall dog from raised bowls, but it's both out of avoiding bloat and making it easier for me to access. Plus it's cleaner (for me, anyway) and the bowls don't move around the floor or spill. I bought two $1.50 plant holders that stand about 14 inches off the ground, and for some magical reason they fit the large aluminum bowls PERFECTLY as if they were made for it. I've heard of folks saying either way works, it just depends on the dog. Every time I've seen bloat it wasn't always deep-chested dogs, but it was always a result of eating quickly before or after extreme activity. Raised or lowered bowls never really factored in. (This was just my personal experience, though.)

It's the eternal question and you'll find lots of defenders on both sides. I tried the plant stand method but one of them drove it around the kitchen floor. I also had one that wanted to eat lying down (and have another non grey one now) so raised didn't really work here.

No, their bowls aren't raised at the farm or track.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Mostly at the tracks and farms the food is just placed inside the kennel crate or farm enclosure - so on the floor - I believe.

Research is poipnting to mainly a genetic cause, in large breed dogs with deep chests - so most sighthounds, hunting dogs, and working dogs with that body type. It can happen in other dogs, but mostly those. It doesn't really seem to matter how they are fed. You do want to avoid them gulping down their food/water and getting a lot of air in their gut, so keeping them eating/drinking at a moderate pace is good.

I use raised feeders mostly because it seems awkward for tall dogs to eat off the floor. And it's cleaner, as stated above. But your dog and physical layout will be different, so you can choose what works for you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Bloat is a medical emergency!

Whatever works best for the dog. There is no correct answer. Greyhounds mainly eat from the ground/floor at the farms and tracks. Deep-chested dogs seem to be the most prone to bloat, but it can happen to any dog.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

The answer seems to be whatever works best for the dog. Here is a Bloat Reference Chart you can print out and keep handy. I keep ours on the refrigerator. http://www.bmd.org/bmdcr/bloat_chart.pdf

This is right. There's no definitive answer, unfortunately. I've always used raised feeders because my dogs have seemed more comfortable with them, but I think either option is okay, whatever works best for your dogs.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Cardiffcouple

Thank you very much everyone! I appreciate your responses. I will keep their bowls elevated as that is how they have always been for Rocky and Mercy (since we adopted them).

Yep, we've always used elevated bowls, as well - especially helpful with our geriatric greys. We even bought a raised feeder and took it to my mom's house, so they have raised water/food when we go visit her. :)

Our vet told us she sees more problems with dogs who eat & drink too quickly rather than anything to do with food/water being on the floor or raised. I asked her about large chested breeds and what they have observed in bloat patients, and she said she sees more big dogs with bloat, but not necessarily the "large chested" big dogs - just big dogs, in general. She didn't provide statistics or anything, but she's owned the practice in town for about 15 years, and has been a vet for abut 25 - and that was her observation.

Guest k9soul

I used raised bowls, but without bloat as a deciding factor for me. Cole just seems more comfortable and Rudy tends to hack and cough more when he eats from a bowl on the floor. I feel like people should pretty much do what makes them (or their dogs) most comfortable.

It doesn't matter, although some senior dogs might find it easier not to have to bend.

I use a snazzy food/water stand just because I like the way it looks. Buck could care less.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 months later...
Guest Billysmom

I just adopted Billy, and during his "trial period" (that sounds so funny - like I was checking out a car or something, lol) he had an elevated feeder. So, naturally, since he was already used to it, I knew he had to have one. Well. Lemmie tell you. I searched EVERYWHERE for one that (A) wasn't one million dollars, or (2) didn't look like a pack of wild toddlers designed it. Online, offline, on the line, under the line..... it got ridiculous. THREE SOLID DAYS I spent on this. The Greyhound Check Out the Dog Loaner Lady was coming back to pick up her stuff the NEXT DAY, and I didn't have no steeeenking BOWL!! It became a quest. I pulled up a list of every pet store, big and small, and began ticking them off one by one. Nearing 9:00 pm and my eyes wild with worry, I entered an "At Home" Store. I zoomed through the pet department. Nothing!

Then an idea gradually came to me: What if.... why.... yes, yes, that just might work!! I scurried to the section where they had little side tables. I found one about 15" tall, with a pretty wrought iron base and a screw on wood top. I made sure there was room on top for Billy's two large bowls. It was $19.99. I took my excellent find home, handed it to my husband, who took it to the garage. He traced around the inner ring of the dog bowls, cut the circle out, which left the rim of the bowls to rest on the top!

SUCCESS!! Billy loves it, and The Greyhound Check Out the Dog Loaner Lady was able to pick up ALL her stuff the next day. Tah Dah!

I just adopted Billy, and during his "trial period" (that sounds so funny - like I was checking out a car or something, lol) he had an elevated feeder. So, naturally, since he was already used to it, I knew he had to have one. Well. Lemmie tell you. I searched EVERYWHERE for one that (A) wasn't one million dollars, or (2) didn't look like a pack of wild toddlers designed it. Online, offline, on the line, under the line..... it got ridiculous. THREE SOLID DAYS I spent on this. The Greyhound Check Out the Dog Loaner Lady was coming back to pick up her stuff the NEXT DAY, and I didn't have no steeeenking BOWL!! It became a quest. I pulled up a list of every pet store, big and small, and began ticking them off one by one. Nearing 9:00 pm and my eyes wild with worry, I entered an "At Home" Store. I zoomed through the pet department. Nothing!

Then an idea gradually came to me: What if.... why.... yes, yes, that just might work!! I scurried to the section where they had little side tables. I found one about 15" tall, with a pretty wrought iron base and a screw on wood top. I made sure there was room on top for Billy's two large bowls. It was $19.99. I took my excellent find home, handed it to my husband, who took it to the garage. He traced around the inner ring of the dog bowls, cut the circle out, which left the rim of the bowls to rest on the top!

SUCCESS!! Billy loves it, and The Greyhound Check Out the Dog Loaner Lady was able to pick up ALL her stuff the next day. Tah Dah!

I used plant stands before, one for food, one for water. Functional, look nice, stainless steel bowls fit nicely, and cost about $7.