Looking For Service Dog Candidate

Guest mjaynes288

Guest mjaynes288

I have contacted Greyt Hearts. I am waiting to hear back.

The reason I am not going through an orginization is because very few train counter-balance. The ones that do have 5+ year waiting lists. Most organizations do not want the liability of training a balance dog because according to them a dog can just as easily knock a person over as help them balance.

Guest Grant

I am looking for a medical alert dog and definitely want to adopt a retired grey and train it myself. I can get a grey now but being on a limited disability income, I could never afford the adoption fees. If anyone can give me some advice on how I can find an affordable grey would be great. I am desperate atm.....my hypo-seizures are getting bad and is affecting my family.

I'm just going to be blunt. If you can't afford the adoption fee, how will you afford the dog?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest mjaynes288

The adoption fee is small compared to the cost of owning a dog. How are you going to afford food, heartworm preventative, and routine vetcare? I budget $60 a month just for maintenance. That does not even touch injuries or illness. Vet bills pile up quickly. If my budget was tighter I would go for a small dog. They eat less and their medication is cheaper. If I could not afford $40 a month I would not get a dog.

I would discuss your situation with your local groups and see if anyone is willing to accommodate you in some way. If it truly is only the adoption fee that is holding you back, you can provide a safe home for the dog, and the dog will be a service dog, a group may be willing to lower the cost for you. Can't hurt to ask.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Have to agree. The adoption fee is almost always far less than shots/spay/neuter unless you live in a very rural area. As stated you have to figure out monthly food bills, heartworm, vaccinations, treats (what dog can live with no treats?) flea and tick, annual exams without even factoring in emergencies and other vet visits.

I am also on disability and my two dogs are my life. I honestly don't know if I can ever afford another grey and it breaks my heart.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Grant

thanks NeylasMom. Got everything ready for my beautiful new greyhound except the hound and the adoption fee. If there was a place to get one for free....I'm glad I asked. If there aren't any....I'm glad I asked.

Guest mjaynes288

I believe the VA only pays benefits for service dogs from Assistance Dogs International accredited schools.

Federal Rule 17.148 say

(c ) Recognized service dogs. VA will recognize, for the purpose of paying benefits under this section, the following service dogs:

(1) The dog and veteran must have successfully completed a training program offered by an organization accredited by Assistance Dogs International or the International Guide Dog Federation, or both (for dogs that perform both service- and guide-dog assistance). The veteran must provide to VA a certificate showing successful completion issued by the accredited organization that provided such program.

(2) Dogs obtained before September 5, 2012 will be recognized if a guide or service dog training organization in existence before September 5, 2012 certifies that the veteran and dog, as a team, successfully completed, no later than September 5, 2013, a training program offered by that training organization. The veteran must provide to VA a certificate showing successful completion issued by the organization that provided such program. Alternatively, the veteran and dog will be recognized if they comply with paragraph ©(1) of this section.

Edited by mjaynes288

Grant,if you've been approved by the VA, then yoU should have been referred to Service Dogs international.

This organization will get you in touch with a group that will help you select a dog with a temperament that may be appropriate for the tasks you require.

Approved veterans are not charged for dogs or the associated training through SDI.

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

Guest Grant

ty DofSweetPotatos....Its been quite a journey of patience dealing with the VA and service dogs. I guess from what I understand, if I train my own dog....I have to pay all expenses until the dog can be certified as a SD. If I find an agency thru SDI, then all is paid for as you stated. Draw back is you gotta wait anywhere from 3 months to a year. Seizure alert dogs take even longer. I got in touch VFW and they may pay for the adoption fee if it is getting trained as a service dog. At least the initial cost will be paid and I wont have any problems paying monthly expenses until it is trained. So its basically, if I want it free....have to get whatever breed they have trained and wait a significant period of time. If I want to train my own....have to pay all expenses until the SD is trained. Also, ty mjanes, your post made me dive deeper into the specifics the VA provides for a SD.

Guest mjaynes288

No, you will need a dog certified by a program accreditted by Assistance Dogs International to get expenses paid by the VA. I do not know of any ADI accredited program that will certify a dog they have not trained. I would love it if they did as then I could travel outside the US but the programs will not take on the liability of a dog they have not observed training/working for hundreds of hours.

The fedral government including the VA is not covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act. They have their own rules. After many incidents with poorly trained or untrained dogs at VA facilities Congress passed H.R. 1627 "Honoring America's Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012" which defines a service dog as a dog certified by an ADI program. After this passed owner trained service dogs have regularly been denied entery to VA facilities.

If you go the owner training route understand that the VA will not recognise your dog as a service dog for access to their facilities or benefits.

Guest Sportingfields

its too bad because its a long wait list for a seizure alert dog

Interesting information here on medical alert dogs:

While an emergency medical response dog may sound like a miracle solution to some individuals and families, it is imperative to remember they are still merely a dog and not a physician. If a person’s life depends on the dog’s response to a medical emergency, an EMRD is probably not the best choice. The bond we’ve seen between our best placements often takes months and sometimes years to develop and isn’t something that can be established instantly. Therefore, an EMRD is best considered as a tool in improving a person’s quality of life rather than one that saves it.

http://www.servicedogsforamerica.org/about-us/service-dogs/emergency-medical-response-dogs/

This group is fully accredited with Assistance Dogs International. On their site it says it takes 2 years to fully train a dog, only then it is matched up with their possible new owner. Certainly understandable that there is a long wait list. Hope you continue to be patient and work with a" local to you organization", so that one day you may have a EMR dog.

Guest Grant

I know its not a miracle dog....just need something to improve me quality of life. After all of what I have been learning over the last couple weeks (and some misunderstanding), I'm just gonna have to get on waiting list and is what it is.