Phenobarbital

Guest Dogs_3

Guest Dogs_3

Ok so I'm a new member as of today, anyway I have a Chow Chow that's 1 years old and started this new med yesterday. I'm a little curious as to there side affects she's walking around and whimpering or crying I guess you would say and she's never done this before also at times when I walk up to her to love on her or just to pet her she backs away from me kind of like she forgets who I am! Makes me a little sad. ;( is this normal? And if so does it last long?? I called the vet and the doctor that see's her wont be in until Monday. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

What is the dose? Why did your vet prescribe it?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The side effects will last until the dogs body adjusts to the meds, usually 2-4 weeks. That being said, my boy showed signs of ataxia, uncordinated, acting like he was drunk and very vocal. You might check with the vet. They can do blood work in a few days to make sure your pup is on the right dose.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Dogs_3

She has seizures once a month around the 13th through the 18th of every month and range from 6 to 8 over the day to day and a half. And the milligram she is taking is 32.4 twice daily 8 AM and 8 PM. And yes I did call her vet this morning and get a call back Monday so we can discuss what's going on I was just curious as to how she was acting and behaving that she's never done before until I see the doctor. Thanks a lot guys for all your help and suggestions!!

Guest Dogs_3

So should her dosage be lowered just kind of curious because the way she's acting just scares me it's really kind of heartbreaking were talking about a dog that's always by my side no matter what I'm doing rather in the restroom taking a shower cooking etc. she never leaves my side and these ways that she is exhibiting is quite odd, on the good note I did call the vet and I do have a call back on Monday. Sorry to keep going on and on about this I just love my dogs like I love my kids. Thank y'all so much!

I know it's hard to watch. My boy would literally walk into walls. It also made him extremely hungry so I had to add a small, low calorie snack in the middle of the day because he would cry for food. All of these symptoms went away as his body adjusted to the meds and he returned to being my happy boy. It's hard but it will get better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It does take an adjustment period. i had a dog on pheno for cluster seizures and it did take a few weeks to not walk around drunk. In case of breakthrough seizures you can apply an ice pack on the back below the neck. Also after they have "come around" something sweet, not too much ( a tsp) such as Vanilla Haagen Das ice cream. It stablilizes their blood sugar and the ice pack lowers their body temperature. Do it just for a few minutes. I remember i had to walk around with my dog before he stopped stumbling after a seizure. So sorry you and your dog are going through this. My dog towards the end of his life didn't have any seizures. Not sure if it is because he was allergic to everything and i could feed him Venison i found out. He also got some local raw honey as he had seasonal allergies. He lived a long, happy life :-)