New Grey Vomited Breakfast

Guest JenZee

Guest JenZee

We have had our retired girl for about 2 weeks. This morning she ate some bamboo leaves from the yard before we could stop her (not much) and also grazes daily on grass when we are walking. After eating the bamboo leaves (non-toxic to dogs) the had her usual breakfast of kibble with 1 cup of water mixed in. Generally she tends to eat fast making a huffing sound occasionally where it seems like food is caught in her throat or she is catching her breath. But this morning, she threw up a large pile of undigested kibble within 5 minutes of finishing breakfast. Should I be concerned????

Regular bamboo is not toxic to dogs. The houseplant Lucky Bamboo is not a true bamboo and is toxic.

How much kibble are you giving her per meal? One cup of water is more than I put on my dogs' kibble.

You could try giving her a portion of her meal and then give the rest a few minutes later.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Think it was a combo of eating the plant material and her inhaling her food. I wouldn't worry unless she continues to vomit. In the future you may want to purchase one of those dishes that will make her eat more slowly (name escapes me) Also I always add water to my hounds kibble--I actually use my Keurig to add hot water.

Edited to add --welcome here! Rule is pictures must be provided ;-)

Edited by tbhounds

Welcome! Almost all my hounds have grazed like cows, too. And barf happens.

You can improvise slow feeder dishes by putting a big rock or small upside down bowl in your dog's dish. Or feed in a bundt/angelfood cake pan. Or even in cupcake tins.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest OPointyDog

Another thing that might help is to give her a small snack at bedtime. One of mine used to graze on grass and then throw up bile and kibble in the morning, and we realized she had gone too long with an empty stomach. Now she gets a biscuit right before bed and that seems to help.

I don't know what kibble you are feeding, but I have a 63 lb girl and I give her 1-1/2cups twice a day with a little water and tablespoon of wet food on top. Don't let her get too chunky. It's not healthy. One vomit, is not a concern. Watch and see how it goes. Don't feed her again until dinner, but give her a biscuit or two during the day. I always give a good night biscuit to hold her over until the morning.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

All good advice as usual. I too was going to mention that 4 cups of food a day (plus the 2 cups of water) sounds like a lot for a 65-pounder, plus treats she probably gets during the day. My girl is also 65 pounds and she gets 3 cups of kibble a day with water: 1.5 cups at b'fast and supper, plus highly monitored treats. Annie doesn't get a goodnight treat and she doesn't have issues. I am very careful with how much she gets fed because she puts on weight easily. Even though I cut back on treats and kibble this past winter because we weren't getting as much exercise because of the cold, she gained 4-1/2 pounds!!! She's lost 2 of those pounds already and will lose the rest over the next month.

In addition to a picture, we need a name. Good luck!

Edited by Feisty49

I add water or liquid to Brady's kibble too, but I use only about a quarter cup.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

There is vomiting you worry about, and what many vets refer to as "uncomplicated vomit." Dogs puke. It's USUALLY not a big deal.

For what it's worth, I think that's a lot of food for a 65 pound dog. My boy weighs about that, and I feed him half that amount. Although he also gets two large Milk-Bones a day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck