Won't Eat; Blood In Stool And Vomit

A couple of years ago, Boo (almost 5 years old now) had a nasty case of hookworms that took a while to resolve. During that time he would frequently skip a meal or two in a row, but would typically eat the chicken and rice we would make for him after he had passed up more than 2 meals. We eventually beat the hooks with some good meds and dosage instructions from tbhounds. We've had no eating/poop problems since.

Yesterday morning he passed up his breakfast and had loud stomach gurgles (as he used to have when he wouldn't eat during his hookworm period). I had been suspecting the hooks may be back for the past couple of weeks, and have some Drontal due to arrive any day now to start treatment again. Took the food away and tried again at dinner. He passed it up again.

This morning, he again wouldn't eat and seemed lethargic. Gum colour was normal and no temperature from what I could tell. He was wandering around and whining, but wouldn't go to the bathroom when I would let him outside (with no food in his stomach, I wasn't surprised he had nothing to excrete). I made him some chicken and rice and he sniffed it but wouldn't touch it. I tried hand feeding him plain boiled chicken and he wouldn't take it... he's never refused chicken in his life. I gave him a Famotidine (10mg) in a piece of cheese and he ate that somewhat reluctantly, so I gave him a couple more small cubes of cheese and he did take those.

Tonight my husband tried the chicken and rice again and he still wouldn't eat. Boo went outside and finally had a bowel movement, and husband said it was very dark coloured, small and runny, with some bright bloody mucus. He came in and vomited liquid which was light red (not pink) within about 15 mintues.

Husband took him to the e-vet... the e-vet said his temperature was normal and his stomach felt good and soft, so they gave him an IV for fluids and some stomach soothing meds to take home and monitor him for a day rather than running tests given his relatively young age. Husband had brought a stool sample but they didn't think it was worth running it.

My question is - is this normal? I trust our vet and appreciate not spending money unnecessarily, however it seems conservative. Any thoughts or experience with this? I may take him for a second opinion elsewhere tomorrow afternoon if he doesn't consider eating again in the morning, which will be the 48 hour mark of not eating.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

I would think at least they should get a stool sample and do blood work. Probably do xrays also to make sure there's no blockage. The blood in the vomit is concerning. Hope he starts feeling better soon.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I would think at least they should get a stool sample and do blood work. Probably do xrays also to make sure there's no blockage. The blood in the vomit is concerning. Hope he starts feeling better soon.

Thanks for the quick reply Tracey. I was taken aback that they didn't run a stool test at least, considering my husband brought in the sample of the bloody stool. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I thought bloody stool and vomit would warrant some tests. She said she's seen this in a few dogs lately and that he probably picked something up on walk, however, I watch him like a hawk on walks and I know he didn't eat anything strange.

They sent him home with Royal Canin Digestive wet food, Sulcrate suspension, Metronidazole, and sachets of forti-flora after he had an IV of fluid and famotidine. He was to take the Metronidazole tonight and the rest tomorrow. I tried feeding him cheese first and was going to stuff the Metro into the cheese after he took the first couple of bites, but he wouldn't take the cheese. I crushed the Metro into the Royal Canin and he did take that and has kept it down thus far, so maybe it will take.

I have my fingers crossed - not sure why such a young dog would be vomiting blood and have bloody stools and refusing to eat. I wonder if we should have pushed for more tests. The vet did say to monitor him closely throughout the night and tomorrow and bring him in again if the vomiting and bloody stools continue.

Please cross your fingers that he keeps some food down tonight.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Sounds like they were a little conservative IMO however, it's always hard for a clinican-some folks would get upset if they ran "too many tests". Things to rule out are HGE, pancreatitis and a really bad case of colitis. I would not offer food-only water and return to your vet this a.m. They will most likely run some blood work and place him on IV fluids-least that's what I would do :;-)

I would be concerned about pancreatitis. I would take him in for more IV support. He may continue with some bloody stools for a while. I've dealt with pancreatitis & HGE. Both can become extremely serious fast. The vet should keep him until he can hold down food without vomiting.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Keeva (13 year old grey whippet mix) had similar symptoms two years ago. Bloody diarrhea, lethargy and vomiting. She got much morse very quickly. Vet initially thought HGE but it turned out she had a bad case of giardiasis. She was on fluids, panacur and metronidazole. She did recover fully but it was scary while she was going through it. Good luck to you