Growling At Night

Guest lulafortune

Guest lulafortune

I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts as to what our 5 year old greyhound may be doing. Here and there, in the middle of the night, he will start growling out loud while lying in his bed in our bedroom. He does it randomly (no one is awake or walking by him when it happens). If we yell his name or say "hey!" he stops immediately and usually that's it. Sometimes if we let him continue the growling it will slowly build into more of a howl/bark/whiny growl.

He went through a phase of this a while ago and then didn't do it for almost a year and now he does it every once in a while, although last week it seemed to be almost once per night for the whole week. We have white noise going in the room so I doubt he is hearing anything outside and nothing else has changed in his schedule or feeding that I can think of. It has been at all different times of the night and he doesn't generally get up out of his bed when he does it.

Any thoughts?

Edited by lulafortune

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lulafortune

Is he asleep or awake? Mine makes all sorts of noise in his sleep I assume his dreaming. Might be the same thing.

I am not entirely sure since I'm in my bed in the dark when it happens, but its not the same as the noises he generally makes while sleeping/dreaming during the day. One of the times recently he did get up out of his bed and continue the growling.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Sounds like dreaming to me. Could be animals outside. Since it is close to spring, hibernating creatures are starting to wake up, maybe he is hearing some nocturnal animals starting to move around.

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Most likely dreaming. We have had a time or two where I would swear that Rocket was sleepwalking. Make sure that he is awake before you approach him at these times. Let him come to you to make sure that he is awake instead of you approaching him. They typically wake up quickly when you call their name, but I always like to make sure.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest lulafortune

Last night my husband said he was sure he was awake when he came into the room to go to bed and then no less than 5 minutes later he was growling.

It could very well be dreaming. I was just hoping it wasn't some expression of pain or frustration!

Guest normaandburrell

Both our hounds have regularly growled, whined, and yipped in their sleep, both at night and during their rather frequent naps. During the day when they are doing it, their eyes are frequently half open, and we can see their feet twitching. It sounds just like what your hound is doing. We think they are just "chasing wabbits" in their sleep.

Guest k9soul

Rudy used to growl and vocalize a lot in his sleep and sometimes startled himself awake and he'd snarl then. Like he was awake but still disoriented and looking for whatever it was he must have been dreaming about. He also has howled in his sleep. After watching him during the day (since I work from home) I'd watch him when this happened and he would have this bit of a vacant look even though he seemed to have woken up but was still growling. I'd simply calmly say his name or "it's ok, you're awake now" and he immediately seemed to become aware then. So I think basically even though he had sat up and was looking around he wasn't REALLY awake.

He doesn't really do this as often anymore after 2 years, but sometimes will still howl or grumble in his sleep a bit. He just seems to have phased out of that partially-awake-but-not-really state he used to seem to have fairly frequently. Rudy is not much of a rooer, but I do have one very long rooing episode video of him I got one time after he started howling and rooing in his sleep, then sat up and kept going. It went on for over 3 minutes or so, I have about 2 minutes on film. He's never really done that before or since.

Edited by k9soul

It does sound like he might be dreaming. Our guy will be clearly awake, and then 30 seconds later, his eyes are creepily rolled back (and open), and he is growling, yipping, dream-barking, etc. It often gets loud enough that it wakes him up. We might suggest if you need to get up while he's doing his growling, try to call his name and get his attention, even if it means waking him. While it seems our hound is dreaming almost every time he falls asleep, he only does the growling thing when it's completely dark and in the middle of the night...

Guest lulafortune

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like you are all in agreement that he is dreaming.

It does sound like he might be dreaming. Our guy will be clearly awake, and then 30 seconds later, his eyes are creepily rolled back (and open), and he is growling, yipping, dream-barking, etc. It often gets loud enough that it wakes him up. We might suggest if you need to get up while he's doing his growling, try to call his name and get his attention, even if it means waking him. While it seems our hound is dreaming almost every time he falls asleep, he only does the growling thing when it's completely dark and in the middle of the night...

Very interesting that he only does the growling thing at night. I think that's what was confusing me because is day dreaming is nothing like what he does at night. Thanks for the input!

Edited by lulafortune

The only time Annie has growled is at night when she's deep into sleep. It doesn't happen often, and is so soft that a couple of times I wasn't even sure it was a growl. Who knows what night time brings on in our hounds' brains.

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky does it. She also barks (yip yip yip...its so cute) and will even roo in her sleep. All of this is ALWAYS at night, never during the day when she's napping. Sounds like normal behavior, nothing to worry about.

Guest FloridaGirl

I've noticed Claymore dreaming during the day and at night. During the day he sleeps solidly, but it's not as "heavy" - meaning he can get up and go at any moment. His daytime dreams are very light and may only involve meeping, twitching, or breathing heavily. I have noticed his heavy, heavy night sleeping produces much more intense dreaming. Especially after a super tiring adventure or romp that day. Just last night he carried on for a good 10 minutes and since I was already awake from my oh so lovely insomnia, I just let him ride it out.

Have you all been getting more exercise lately? He may be doing what Claymore does - dreaming hard from playing hard. :)

Guest lulafortune

I've noticed Claymore dreaming during the day and at night. During the day he sleeps solidly, but it's not as "heavy" - meaning he can get up and go at any moment. His daytime dreams are very light and may only involve meeping, twitching, or breathing heavily. I have noticed his heavy, heavy night sleeping produces much more intense dreaming. Especially after a super tiring adventure or romp that day. Just last night he carried on for a good 10 minutes and since I was already awake from my oh so lovely insomnia, I just let him ride it out.

Have you all been getting more exercise lately? He may be doing what Claymore does - dreaming hard from playing hard. :)

His exercise hasn't changed at all recently....but I guess there could be many different things causing it.

Guest FloridaGirl

Oh, very true! I know I have wild dreams caused by all sorts of things.

Has he started hitting the sauce? I know wine dreams are pretty unique... :rofl

Guest lulafortune

I just wanted to post an update to this. I am now sure that he IS awake during the night when the growling events are happening. He also did it during the day twice yesterday, while wide awake and sitting up. He starts growling over and over and then he jumps up out of bed, flaps his ears, and then lays back down. This is also what he does at night. He had 3 separate episodes last night. Growl, jump out of bed, lay right back down. He doesn't come over to me or anything so I don't think he is look for anything (like to be let out).

Going on the assumption that he is not dreaming, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Its killing me because I feel like something is wrong with him, like he is in pain. Its also hard to get good sleep when he wakes me up repeatedly throughout the night!

Guest FloridaGirl

It almost sounds like he's hallucinating... or seeing a ghost!

Do you live in a house or apartment? Are there sounds that may be going on that you might not hear very well, or have gotten used to them? Claymore gets distressed when he hears the people in our building talking, and while I don't like it either, I kind of accept it as par for the course and don't acknowledge it. But especially when the little girl downstairs does a screaming fit, he stands up, cries, paces - and there's really nothing I can do for him.

Also, weird question - is there a possibility of critters in your walls, hiding out for the winter months? Squirrels, meece, or the like?

Last question - are fleas a possibility? He may be particularly sensitive. I have seen dogs (and cats) go (pardon the french) ape** for a single flea on them...literally, acting like they're possessed.

I know I'm grasping at straws, but I'm just trying to come up with anything that it could be...

Guest lulafortune

It almost sounds like he's hallucinating... or seeing a ghost!

Do you live in a house or apartment? Are there sounds that may be going on that you might not hear very well, or have gotten used to them? Claymore gets distressed when he hears the people in our building talking, and while I don't like it either, I kind of accept it as par for the course and don't acknowledge it. But especially when the little girl downstairs does a screaming fit, he stands up, cries, paces - and there's really nothing I can do for him.

Also, weird question - is there a possibility of critters in your walls, hiding out for the winter months? Squirrels, meece, or the like?

Last question - are fleas a possibility? He may be particularly sensitive. I have seen dogs (and cats) go (pardon the french) ape** for a single flea on them...literally, acting like they're possessed.

I know I'm grasping at straws, but I'm just trying to come up with anything that it could be...

We live in a single family home in a very quiet neighborhood and I have never heard anything in the walls. Its downright quiet at night...so we put on some white noise with an air purifier so any random noises should be drowned out.

He is on a flea and tick preventative each month so I think fleas are unlikely....I don't tend to see him gnawing or scratching himself much either.

I am at a loss for what could be causing this. Luckily his annual vet visit is next week so we can bring it up there too.

Vet. Make sure you get a fecal. In addition to fleas (which could still be a possibility depending on which preventative you use as fleas have started to become resistant to some, including Frontline), worms are another possibility. Does he have a history of worms? Or have any symptoms now that would indicate them? Stool issues, mucousy stool, biting at his sides ever? Hookworms can definitely be felt by dogs when they're biting so I could see them startling him and causing him to growl like that.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out noises either. Dogs have excellent hearing so a white noise machine isn't going to drown out all other sounds for them although this seems less likely since you're in a SFH and have been there for a while.

My money is on something that is startling and possibly hurting him - something biting him makes the most sense to me, but it's hard to say. Definitely talk to the vet about it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest lulafortune

Vet. Make sure you get a fecal. In addition to fleas (which could still be a possibility depending on which preventative you use as fleas have started to become resistant to some, including Frontline), worms are another possibility. Does he have a history of worms? Or have any symptoms now that would indicate them? Stool issues, mucousy stool, biting at his sides ever? Hookworms can definitely be felt by dogs when they're biting so I could see them startling him and causing him to growl like that.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out noises either. Dogs have excellent hearing so a white noise machine isn't going to drown out all other sounds for them although this seems less likely since you're in a SFH and have been there for a while.

My money is on something that is startling and possibly hurting him - something biting him makes the most sense to me, but it's hard to say. Definitely talk to the vet about it.

He has never had worms since he's been with me, but I will be bringing a stool sample with me to the vet this weekend.

Last night was the worst night yet. He had growling and barking fits literally every 30 minutes, all night long. I didn't sleep at all (and this is lovely since I'm 7 months pregnant and already having trouble sleeping).

Can you get video of it? I was going to ask that earlier, but figured since the fits were so sporadic it would be tough for you to do that. If he's doing them that frequently, I'm thinking you can capture it. May be helpful for your vet as well, but if you can post it here, that would be great.

Poor guy, something is definitely going on. :( Any chance you can push his vet visit up?

The only other thing that popped into my head is focal seizures, but that seems unlikely given your description. I also find it odd that he did this a while ago and then stopped. Could it be something seasonal? Have you been hiking anywhere wooded with him lately (wondering if he could have gotten a bunch of bites - thinking about my experiences with chiggers and could see something like that causing that sort of reaction). Have you looked carefully under his fur for skin irritation or bumps of any kind?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest lulafortune

Can you get video of it? I was going to ask that earlier, but figured since the fits were so sporadic it would be tough for you to do that. If he's doing them that frequently, I'm thinking you can capture it. May be helpful for your vet as well, but if you can post it here, that would be great.

Poor guy, something is definitely going on. :( Any chance you can push his vet visit up?

The only other thing that popped into my head is focal seizures, but that seems unlikely given your description. I also find it odd that he did this a while ago and then stopped. Could it be something seasonal? Have you been hiking anywhere wooded with him lately (wondering if he could have gotten a bunch of bites - thinking about my experiences with chiggers and could see something like that causing that sort of reaction). Have you looked carefully under his fur for skin irritation or bumps of any kind?

I could try for a video but since its at night in the dark it will be challenge. I moved the vet visit up to Saturday, best I could do with work schedule for now...

I haven't been hiking or anything, in fact I cant think of anything in his routine that has changed recently (I had a lot of time to think all night last night). I haven't noticed anything on his skin but also haven't parted the hair very thoroughly so I could try that. I have rubbed my fingers threw his mouth and pressed on some of his teeth (he has a tooth that looks pretty bad) but it elicits no reaction whatsoever. He did growl while in his bed once the other day during daylight hours, but otherwise its all taking place at night.

Google "psychomotor seizure" and see if you can find some videos to see if they look anything like what you're seeing.