Danger Aka Nitro Radar 8/9/2005-3/10/15

GreyTzu

Today we made the heart-wrenching decision to send our spooky Danger to the bridge. Danger arrived in our lives shortly after we laid down our Harley in Feb. 2008. Kevin broke his leg and I dislocated my shoulder. The bike didn’t have a scratch.

Sandy Paws was 3 weeks later and I was adamant that we were still going. Kevin’s therapist worked on stair climbing so he would make it up the stairs to bed. He was determined to use a cane or only one crutch for the trip. And it all paid off as we packed the van and headed out on a cool Thursday morning.

Personally, 2007 was a tough year as we lost both Dylan and Dancer, our first two greyhounds. In August we added Disco to our herd, so we only had 2 greyhounds, Donner and Disco, along with the ‘Tzus James Dean and Rock Hudson. So with only 4 dogs, the van was lightly packed. ROFLROFLROFL Yeah, we can’t pack, it’s a running joke in our house.

We enjoyed our Sandy Paws trip and spent time with friends and greyhounds we only see yearly. Saturday night Kevin gave Dancer and Dylan a eulogy at the memorial service and we hiked out to the beach and wrote their names in the sand. This has always been very cathartic for me.

Sunday we stopped at an FTH picnic and watched all the hounds play in the puppy pens at Bill and Cathie Lambert’s home. Disco was born there so he had fun. Kevin’s birthday also occurred during the weekend. Unbeknown to him, I ordered a cake for him. Publix had one with a Harley on it. Jenn delivered it, Kevin promptly laid the bike on its side and we all had a good time.

IMG_2688-2.jpg

Monday was a visit to the farm to see PUPPIES!!! There were lots of puppies and greyhounds waiting to return to the track or for a home. We watched turn out and saw the dogs playing. (Hang in here, this is all related. ;) There will be a quiz later.)

While watching turnout, we noticed a red dog plastered to the back of his crate. I asked Cathie about him and she said he was a spook. Kevin and I watched him in the pen with the other dogs. Anytime he saw us looking at him he moved to the other side of the pen. I tried working my way under a tree to get near him and he moved away. Kevin and I were both watching him.

Turnout was over and dogs went back into their condos. We walked over to the red dog’s crate and again he was against the back of the crate, not looking at us. I asked Chris about him. His name was Radar, he was finished racing, and was just waiting for a group.

As it was time to leave, I walked into the kennel again to look at the red dog. Yup, as soon as he saw anyone in the room, back against the wall he went. As we all walked to our cars, I asked what do we need to do to take that red dog home today? Chris said, “Got a collar and leash?” 2 minutes later the red dog was in the van and we were headed home.

The red dog climbed in, surveyed the situation, and plastered himself to the back of the van. Disco sniffed him and settled down to sleep. Donner and the ‘Tzus gave us dirty looks during the ride home.

Kevin and I chatted about the dog, having another spook and names on the 4 hour drive. Our greyhounds get D names. It’s the rule. :lol I suggested a couple. Because of the bike accident, I am pretty sure there were pain meds on board and the names Darvocet and Demerol were mentioned. ;) Kevin eventually said Stranger Danger. Yup that’s it. Danger was home.

He was our 3rd spook and we did what we have always done with spooks: ignored him and let him adjust. Danger moved about and tried to blend in the with dogs, which doesn’t work when the other dogs are dark stripy or black. LOL He did come in and go outside with no problems. Of course, we had to stand away from the door and not look at him. He loved treats, as long as you stood on the other side of the room and tossed them to him. He ate well and settled in to our home.

381389_2428198267649_1441682610_n.jpg?oh

Danger continued to slink away at odd noised or if we talked too loud or stood up suddenly. His eyes almost bulged out of his head the first time Kevin very quietly and slowed laid down on the floor next to him. After many many months, I came home from work one day and Kevin said, "Danger took a treat from my hand today." I was shocked! Of course Danger would not do it when I was there. It was well over a year before he took a treat from my hand.

We give out kisses and lovies more frequently than we give treats in our home. Eventually we noticed that Danger was brave enough to be part of the pack greeting us at the door when we came home. He started accepting scritched and kisses. He slowly started melding with us. However, in true spook fashion, for no reason, one of us would hand him a treat and he would slink to the corner and look at us as if he had never seen us before. This continued for his entire life. It was just Danger.

1619087_10201491674117058_1330256250_n.j

Whoever said greyhounds don’t make good watchdogs, never met Danger. He was the barker anytime someone came to the door. He was to one who got between me and the door. I said for a long time that I honestly think he would have defended him home and his people with his teeth if something happened to his domain.

In 2009, we were in Key West on vacation and Yvonne, our pet sitter called on Friday night. There had been an issue after she left in the afternoon, and Danger got the worst end. Yvonne is a Vet Tech, so we trust her decisions. We talked and decided while it was serious, active bleeding had stopped and he did not require an emergency visit. However, he would need stitches. Yvonne would take him to the office tonight and the Vet would tend to him in the morning.

And then I gave her the lecture. I told her where his harness was and how to put it on. I said this is no reflection on your handling skills as you are for more experienced than me. However, if Danger gets loose, we will never catch him. I said think about how he is Yvonne, there is no chance someone will catch him, nor will he approach anyone. She thought about it and said no problem, we will be careful.

On Tuesday when I went to the clinic to pick him up, she had a sign on his kennel door stating where to walk him and how to use the harness. Yvonne later said that she had never thought about catching a dog like Danger until I said it. She said I had articulated it well to her and she understood.

Kevin and I were perplexed as to what happened and why. We looked at Disco’s nip wound, the little dogs were fine, and Donner had a scratch too, but nothing serious. We asked Yvonne what she did and knew. We eventually came to the conclusion that it was over an uneaten treat. Danger sometimes didn’t eat his treats if you were looking at him. We figured that Yvonne had tossed him a treat and not realized that he did not eat it. After she left, a scuffle incurred. OK, lesson learned, all treats must be eaten before leaving the house. There was never another issue.

303778_2204712160636_1390990234_n.jpg?oh

Danger was a silent presence in the house. You really didn’t know he was there until he wanted to be known. It was very common for Kevin and I to be watching TV or playing on our computers, in deep concentration. Suddenly, ever so gently you would feel a breath on your arm. And there standing would be Danger looking for kisses and lovies.

As much of a freak as he was, he loved, loved, loved to go for walks! I put on his “collar of invisibility” and off we all went. But no one could look at him while we were out. He would slink behind the other dogs, who were mugging the stranger for attention, and look away. And of course, he never let a stranger near him. P.S. Don’t tell him, but all the collars were the same. There was no special collar. Ssshhh it will be our secret. ;)

Vet visits were especially fun. He vibrated and panted, trying to blend in with the stainless steel table. We were fortunate in that he was healthy and seldom needed Vet visits. The summer of 2013 we noticed that the left side of his head was sunken in. We did some "Doctor Google" research and found muscle atrophy, wasting, the “c” word, tumor, stuff like that. Since Danger was inhaling his food, eating treats, and acting as normal as a freaky-deaky dog can, we decided to just watch and see. So now he became the Denty-headed Dog, which he answered to with no problem. LOL

In March of last year, we woke up to an eye issue. Off to the doggy Eve Vet we went. He looked at the eye issue and Danger’s head and said we can fix the eye, but I suggest you to see a neurologist as the eye issue and the denty-head are related. We could see the million-dollar Neuro or the down-to-earth Neuro next door with 35 years of experience. We went next door. She is an awesome Vet. She took one look at his head and said more than likely it is a brain tumor that as it grows, it migrates into the nerve openings and blocks them. We passed on the MRI as there is no fixing a brain tumor in dogs, at least not one we could afford. We tried a few meds with little results, so we adopted the "watch and love him forever" stance. She was in complete agreement with our decision. She told me what to expect and what to look for. She said hopefully it would be slow growing, but there was no way to know. The eye healed up and we loved him.

IMG_2843.jpg

Summer and fall passed and Danger was Danger. He had stopped doing zoom doggie in the yard for me, but he inhaled his food, continued to mug is for treats, and accepted sneaky lovies and kisses. We adopted two Chinese Crested and he just gave me “the look” and accepted them. Winter brought cooler Florida weather, but the deficits started showing up. He started stumbling and trembling more, being a bit confused, hanging his head, and having trouble getting up.

The last few weeks brought the deficits in earnest. He splayed a few times, he fell, he walked in circles, he had trouble turning his paws, and he panted. But he ate and we loved him.

While I was on vacation with Kari, things progressed rapidly. Sunday evening when I got home, I knew time was short, very short. Monday I spoke to Yvonne and tearfully said it's time. She said I know, I am here for you.

This morning he walked around the yard and got lost. I reached out to help him and in true spook fashion, he decided he had never seen me before. Love a spook forever.

My freak-on-a-leash, the denty-headed dog, my silent lover, our little freak of nature slipped away, in our arms, feeling the beat of Kevin’s heart, and listening to our voices.

Thank you for reading this. As I was writing this, I realized that fateful day in 2008 was also March 10th. Hug your hounds tonight.

IMG_5622-1.jpg

http://vid23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/GreyTzu/Yet%20More%20Pictues/MVI_6629.mp4

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Jacksonville get-together of 2008. You and Kevin definitely brought home the best souvenir and no one could have loved him more or more unconditionally. Danger was a special boy and I'm so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

What a great tribute to a special boy that you never treated him like a "special boy." He was just one of the pack.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Run-free, Danger. :f_white

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Wendy, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your very special boy. Godspeed Danger.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Danger, Wendy and Kevin. He was clearly a special and beloved boy.

Thank you for your true understanding and willingness to adopt him into your family. The long awaited rewards from building a trusting relationship with such a frightened being far outweigh the challenges. Thank you for sharing Danger's special story. You will be in our caring thoughts during this difficult time.

Godspeed Danger. May he relax peacefully and painfree... :gh_lay

:f_red

I'm sorry your wonderful boy had to leave so soon.

Godspeed, Danger.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. :bighug

Godspeed Danger. Don't be afraid. :gh_run2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I never knew Dangers story. I met you in 2009 at Sandy Paws.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Danger was loved and you will always carry him with you. Big hugs to you.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Thank you for sharing Danger's story ~ I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What an amazing story. I soaked up every word. Thank you so much for sharing it, Wendy. My heartfelt condolences on your loss of your truly one-of-a-kind beautiful boy.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Oh Wendy, I'm so so sorry.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)