Harness Suggestions Needed

An adopter has a 90 boy who is super strong and high prey.

What brands of harnesses would help them to get better control?

Unfortunately they live in an apartment complex with little yappers running off leash. There's just no chance to try and do a "look at me" distraction.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest AimeeBee

2Hounds no-pull harness is the best I've tried -- I like that it's lined where the plain nylon harnesses tended to chafe and that it was adjustable enough to fit a bigger male grey without gaping.

Personally, if I was in their situation I would have a martingale or a muzzle on him as well just for an extra measure of security.

Hope this helps!

Edited by AimeeBee

I've just ordered a no pull / no escape harness from Toni Collard's One Stop Harness Shop on FB. It takes care of backing out and pulling

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

2Hounds no-pull harness {look up the harness poll thread, for expanded comments about 2hounds from me} BUT they have fantastic customer service. I don't use it unless I am afraid of Conrad freaking out. When we are out and about I use the dogids leash. It has a ring in the handle strap and they have a small belt strap to clip to the handle of the leash so EVEN if the little booger pulls the leash out of my hand, he is still attached. he did well at Solvang even when the big work horses walked by {they have a horse drawn trolly that goes around town.

There is a reason sled dogs and draft dogs wear harnesses. Because they enable them to pull without injury!

The dog needs a properly fitted martingale.

I would never use a harness on a dog with prey drive. You cannot control the biting parts!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

any of the "regular" harnesses that you can buy at the big box store can be reversed so the "D" ring is in the middle of the chest instead of between the shoulders. When you rotate the harness to have the "D" ring on the chest, as soon as the hound begins to pull, the chest is turned towards the human holding the leash. Easy-peasy. Better than the head halter leash system and is very effective with pullers as it doesn't allow the hound to pull away from you.

I used the 2Hounds no pull harness on Fletcher (90lbs, very leash aggressive) and a leash with a "handle", a short loop so I could keep him close to my body. I felt the combination gave me better control without risking him hurting his neck, because he would twist and pull with just a collar and leash. He also did not like being grabbed by the collar when he was riled up.

in the situation you described, I would also muzzle, at least until I got out of the building, for extra safety.

I've just ordered a no pull / no escape harness from Toni Collard's One Stop Harness Shop on FB. It takes care of backing out and pulling

That's a very impressive looking harness, I joined that FB page just to see it. Please post a follow up on it when you've had a chance to try it out!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

That's a very impressive looking harness, I joined that FB page just to see it. Please post a follow up on it when you've had a chance to try it out!

The harness arrived today. It's amazing. The webbing is soft, thick and padded and it's easy to adjust. I'll take Iker for a walk later to see how it works.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I might actually consider a gentle leader to give them the best control until they can work on training different response, but they can and should also be working on training a different behavior. Working with a professional to develop a training plan is a good idea and a good certified trainer can help them fit a head collar properly and get the dog used to wearing it. FYI, I would use a coupler or some other similar system to make sure the leash is also attached to the Martindale for safety in case the head collar slips off.

And you can always train alternate behaviors. All other things aside, just plain old counter-conditioning can be very effective with prey drive issues. Dog sees "prey", owner immediately starts stuffing chicken into dog's mouth and continues to do so until prey is out of sight. Do this enough times and the dog will learn to automatically look for his chicken when he sees prey.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank you for the suggestions Jen. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sure. By the way, I just noticed the "off leash" part. Eek. That is scary. I think in light of that I would *really* lean toward the head collar, and I don't usually recommend them. Or alternatively they go with a harness and make sure he's muzzled. Or maybe even muzzle with the head collar for a little bit. I hate to recommend muzzling him though as it leaves him vulnerable to attacks by larger dogs.

You know what, here's my advice. Your friend should start reporting the ** out of the owners of those little dogs. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The apartment's dog park is so small - it's about 5 car lengths long and 3 wide. Not much of a park. They learned early on not to go there when many bully breed started showing up.

I've told the owner to take pics of the off leash/ range free hounds she encounters. Might be difficult to do with her hound keying in on them.

tiny hada siggy.png