Pray For Cody

Guest sc1911cwp

Guest sc1911cwp

We never know what life holds for us. It's been a rough year for me at work, many hours spent at work by my wife and taking in my elderly in-laws. The last I try to think as a Blessing. Just a lot to things to deal with, yet I know I am fortunate and I am thankful. The other day I took one of my Greys to the vet after waiting two weeks for what I thought was a minor sprain. Cody is 11 years old and came off the track with an injury several years ago. Lovable, compassionate boy who is a clown and kind soul. He gets minor aches and pains. Im good at taking him to the vet and keeping him in good shape and healthy. I thought he just stumbled going up the steps and could walk it off. Never showed any signs of pain. I checked his paw and ankle. Nothing. So I thought it was time to take him in. I have a good relationship with he vet and even waited two days to see him as I prefer him. Went over everything, got X-rays of the leg and the other for comparison. He showed me the pictures. had me feel an area up by the shoulder and Cody yelped. I was told Cody either has an infection of an undetermined source or OS. I didn't know what to say. I have seen others go through chemo when their dogs get cancer and know of the expense. We spoke about the brittle bones and amputation. I decided to stop the conversation after just hoping for treatment with Keflex and a follow up visit. The vet told me I would know in a few weeks by the growth in the area.. I did not tell my wife or in-laws. It would send my mother--in-law, who has dementia, into a spin as her brother has cancer and undergoing treatment now. I can't burden my wife, yet. She is close to Cody. She loves him and our other Grey Wyatt. I have grown to love him as well. When we met he peed on my leg and my wife said he was the one for us. Now I can only wait and try to keep my mind off it. I don't want to think about it and find myself trying to make the next few weeks extra special. I know a field that is isolated and I took both guys to it for a smell and sniff session. They like that. I can see him limping, but today he seems better. Hope the OS is not there.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this with so much already going on. I am sending good thoughts for Cody and all who love him. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Good thoughts for Cody and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry-you really have a full plate at this time and dealing with a dog with cancer I'm certain was not on the list. With a suspicious spot on the rads and in that area OSA must be first on the list. With a clinical presentation like that it's cancer until otherwise ruled out. Your hound needs pain meds and don't be shy on them. He should be on a NSAID like rimadyl, Tramadol and gabapentin.

Again-it's not my intention to come across harsh but, I'm sure you want the best for your guy-your vet is doing you a disservice by only dispensing keflex. Please give your vet a ring and discuss this with your vet.

Guest sc1911cwp

Yes, thank you for all the prayers. I had a few Rimadyl left and gave those to him. Now he is taking Tramadol. He appears to be taking it well and less of a limp. I am holding out for some other diagnosis. If it gets worse I will not hesitate to get him something stronger. I have read enough articles on OS and hoping for the best. It's just I have the X-rays and I see the shadow when I look at them. Thank you again. Bruce

So sorry to read of this. It's what we all dread and hope it never happens, and perhaps it hasn't happend to your boy. We're all hoping for the best. I'm also sorry you're having to keep this news to yourself, and I hope you have someone with whom you can share it until the time is right to share it with your wife.

Edited by Feisty49

I'm sorry, this is a lot for you to take on, I'm glad you at least have online support here. Praying for an infection and sending good thoughts to you and your boy. I agree with Tbhounds, no matter what it is, pain management is key.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I know that you want to believe it isn't OS and I pray it isn't, but if it is it is extremely painful and for this reason he should be on something for pain.

This.

Sending many good thoughts and prayers for Cody and all who love him.

Guest sc1911cwp

Just wanted to know Codys pain is diminished and he is comfortable.

Edited by sc1911cwp

hoping that it isn't the dreaded OS.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just wanted to know Codys pain is diminished and he is comfortable.

Thanks for sharing, I'm so glad he's comfortable. Were the pain needs increased?

Take good care of yourself now, too.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest sc1911cwp

Tramadol is doing fine for now. I take him back the 28th of March for a follow up. Other than a minor limp, which the med is helping with, he's normal. Yeah. Holding out for good things.

Sending positive thoughts for you, Cody, and your family. I'm glad to hear he's comfortable and I'm hoping all with you for a positive outcome.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.