Hi I'm Laura And New Here

Guest Laurmann2000

Guest Laurmann2000

Hi everyone. Im brand new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Laura and I live in the NE part of Florida. I'm originally from NJ but moved here with my husband and three teenage boys 1 1/2 years ago. Love Florida.

I became interested in Greyhounds about 4 months ago when I happen to run into an adoption group of Greys in the street. I have not been able to get them out of my mind since then. I've been doing tons of research including reading "Retired racing Greyhounds for Dummies" LOL and have gone to an adoption kennel in Jacksonville. I'm at the point now where I think I'm ready to adopt and I'm so excited. I just need to wait for the right dog to come along. My house consists of my husband and kids as well as an English Bulldog and 2 guinea pigs. I think I want a male Grey since my dog is female and I think a male/female mix would get along better then 2 females but not 100% sure. Any advice or suggestions would be great. I'm nervous but excited. It's scary getting a new pet. Anyway glad to be here because with the little browsing I've done on this forum I can see that you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

BTW has anyone here adopted from GAP in Jacksonville, Florida? Would love to hear your experience.

Guest sireltonsmom

Welcome from Sarasota, FL. When you put in an application, your bull dog and potential grey will meet so you will see that they get along. That's the important thing. I have a girl and a boy. They are very different in personality and both adorable. I've had greyhounds for 10 years and they make the best pets. Glad you are doing research. The nice thing with adopting a greyhound is you get a family with the dog. The greyhound owners and adoption groups do lots of social things and it's easy to make new greyhound friends and the people are so good about mentoring new adopters thru the adjustment period of first grey ownership. Good luck - let us know if (when) you get your new best friend.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Welcome! I always get a little nervous when planning to bring a new animal home, too. Most greyhounds will not be safe with your guinea pigs, but you already know that.

It's generally thought that the individual personalities are more important than gender. I second the suggestion about taking your bulldog when you meet some possibilities. Greyhounds tend to get along with other dogs, so it may depend on who your bulldog seems to like best. Prepare yourself now for the jokes that every. single. person. is going to make about how different your dogs look. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Welcome from Delaware. We were originally from New Jersey, too. I think the sex of the dog doesn't matter as much as, "do they get along". I have had two boys, twice. They were fine. I know people with 4 female greys. Just depends on the dog.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hello and welcome! So exciting that you are going to adopt a greyhound! Keep us posted and be sure to post pictures when you get him/her home. :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hi from Upstate New York. Sounds like you've been bitten by the "I need a Greyhound bug." It's a powerful one and once bitten, it's almost impossible to get rid of it, as you've discovered. The only cure is to adopt a Greyhound. It's so exciting. Even after 3-1/2 years of being owned by Annie, I can remember the excitement of preparing to adopt her and then bringing her home.

Good luck and don't forget pictures when you do adopt.

Guest Laurmann2000

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and advice. The adoption group did suggest I bring my bulldog in to meet the prospective new greyhound when I've found one that meets my needs/wants. My bulldog is very easy going (a slug really) and seems to get along with most dogs we have met but these dogs were not living with her so not sure if that will make a difference. I have had my step daughters dog stay with us a few times and they get along fine. Her dog is a male Yorkie and wants nothing to do with my bulldog.

Oldrunners: I grew up in Paramus so an original Bergen County girl here. I don't miss NJ either, though I miss my friends and family.

Sireltonsmom: Sarasota is were I was when I ran into the adoption group of Greys that caused me to fall in love with this breed.

EllenEveBaz: I know. I keep thinking that my bulldog Henrietta could not look more opposite from a greyhound. So how could I possibly love both those looks? Don't have the answer but I do!

Thanks again everyone and don't worry I will post lots of pictures when (notice I'm not saying 'if') I get my Greyhound.