Too Hungry To Eat?

Guest MackFamilyGreys

Guest MackFamilyGreys

Woke up this morning to a grumbling tummy you could hear across the room. This has happened. Couple of times and when it does it can be tough to get Foxy to eat.

I know that if I've gone too long without eating it can affect my appetite. Is the same thing happening here?

I feel kind of silly asking the question but can't think of anything else. She does have diarrhea when she doesn't eat. But energy level and everything else remain normal. Just wondering if this is one of the aspects of the fragile grey digestive system we have heard about.

Guest normaandburrell

It's called empty stomach syndrome. When we first got Iceman he would get it if we had fed dinner too early the night before. He would even gag and vomit bile. It went away after he settled in, so I wonder if anxiety is a precipitating factor.

I expect it depends on the dog. With Doc (a confident soul) a rumbling stomach and diarrhoea indicates that he has eaten something that is now disagreeing with him. Or, on a couple of occasions, that he has worms. Could she need worming?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest klipper

Used to happen all the time with our girl. We ended up feeding 2/3rd of her meal at ~5:30 or so and then the last 1/3rd right before bed. Haven't had rumbly stomache since.

In the morning, she wouldn't want to eat either..I'd normally 'prime' her with a very delicious treat...once that treat went down; she'd run to her bowl and chow down.

We've dealt with this for years with Rocket. It's better than it used to be now that we adhere to a strict feeding schedule and have figured out the amounts that keep him from having an empty stomach overnight. For example - he gets a total of 3 1/2 cups of food each day. He always gets 2 full cups for dinner. If we give him any less for dinner, he will end up with the tummy squeals and the symptoms you describe. For a while, I was giving him the last half cup at 9 pm to get him through the night, but over time he got used to the 2 full cups at dinner (5 PM) and a small snack before bed.

When the squeals start, he often won't eat any of his normal food. What I found that works is to give him some canned food (Evanger's Cooked Chicken) to settle his stomach. He will also sometime take a few saltines or a ginger snap and be fine. Then a few hours later, he is ready for his normal breakfast and has no further problems.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

As others have said it's most likely just empty tummy syndrome. Give him a few small biscuits or a handful of his normal kibble right at bedtime so his tummy has something to work on through the night and you'll probably find he's just fine. With all the adoptees and fosters we've had over the years this has happened a few times in the early days, so now we just automatically give them a small amount of food at bedtime and have no problems these days.

Sue from England

Guest MackFamilyGreys

She's had some peanut butter today but not much else. No appetite. Diarrhea. But energy level and attitude are fine.

We got a stool sample to the vet during another recent bout and confirmed that all was ok there so I don't think it's worms.

Just have to wait and see.

Sometimes I find that Paige won't eat if she hasn't been eating. I've found that sometimes I have to 'remind' her that she's hungry. I tend to do this by getting gravy, or diluted Vegemite, or yoghurt (though savoury works better) on my finger, and then smearing a little of it on her chin or lips. The lick reflex causes her to lick it off, then I do it again. Something about the flavour in her mouth seems to stimulate drool and a bit of interest, and she starts looking for some food, and she then gets a few little bits before she goes to her bowl. Obviously this works only if she isn't sick, but yeah, a stressy dog who refuses to eat is a pain.

I had that with Rex. If I could just get him to eat a bite of something (anything) it'd prime his pump and he's go on an eat a bit of canned and sometimes a little kibble and the grumbles would go. Problem was with him what he'd eat one night wouldn't work the next. I spent many a 4 a.m. on the futon offering dried liver, liverwurst, cheese, turkey, sardines etc....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest MackFamilyGreys

So we did a trip to the vet out of an abundance of caution. Thankfully she was given a clean bill of health. Nothing obvious, or even subtle really, that could be causing the issue. Really thinking it's just a sensitive stomach we are dealing with.

We're doing antibiotics and a vet recommended food for sensitive stomachs. That should reset her system, so to speak. That will allow us to get her on the right track and then we have to experiment with different foods to find one that works.