Advice On Getting A Second Grey

Guest Magzy68

Guest Magzy68

Hello all!

I've just found out that my dog's littermate has finally retired! She is getting her vetting down in AL and then will be transported up to us. So exciting!!

Im looking for any advice or suggestions people can give in regards to getting a second. I've wanted his littermate for the longest time. My fiancée on the other hand is hesitant. He's worried about changing our current dog's (Kramer) personality or running into problems with training. Kramer is a goofy boy and we love that about him. Here's a few thoughts questions I have, if anyone can share their experiences it'd be so helpful! :)

-suggestions on how to make the transition as easy as possible for both dogs

-how to go about house training the second dog while haiving Kramer who is already trained

-keeping them muzzled at home when were not there? For how long?

-getting them in sync while walking together? Like their bathroom routines...does this actually happen ;)

-do I treat Kramer the same while treating the new dog a little bit more "sternly" so she knows the rules.

-is it really easier with 2 vs 1?

-any extra information that might be helpful

Sorry for all the topics of concern. I'm so excited for a second grey, I just am so nervous about how to transition a new dog when there's already an existing one. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it and it's not all that different than when we trained Kramer.

I appreciate any and all help! :)

Michelle

Guest normaandburrell

My only experience has been with fostering, but I've found that the old dog teaches the new dog, and so the transition is fairly easy. You've already trained one dog to live in your home under your rules. The issues come with introducing the dogs and with sharing space and food.

Introduce them outside and muzzled. Separate them when feeding and when you leave the house until you feel they are safe together. Too many dogs can remove their muzzles to make this adequate protection when you are gone. Muzzle them during boisterous play. Watch for issues with toy or bed aggression.

That said, I did not find that two dogs were as easy as one, but I short term fostered only. Congratulations on getting you boy's littermate!

Except for twice the expenses, I think it really is easier having two. They keep each other occupied and seem happier. Like normaansburrell wrote, they seem to pretty much teach each other. The rest of her advice is good, too.

Mine always walked in sync, as well as went to the bathroom in sync. I always paid a bit more attention to the resident dog just do he doesn't get jealous. The only problem I've ever really run into is when one eats much faster than the other, then steals the slow poke's food. I use one of those fancy slow down bowls, and it's fixed the problem.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I have only done this once (adding Max), but here are my thoughts:

-suggestions on how to make the transition as easy as possible for both dogs
One thing I would mention is to make sure they get equal things, so if you give one dog a treat give the other one a treat at the same time. And keep them apart, toss one to the left and one to the right (if they fight at all, it will probably be over food).

-how to go about house training the second dog while having Kramer who is already trained
Should be easier, as the new dog will "see" the marked areas the old dog uses.

-keeping them muzzled at home when were not there? For how long?
I didn't muzzle much at all, even on the first meeting. Did use muzzles in the car (sedan, both in the back seat).

-getting them in sync while walking together? Like their bathroom routines...does this actually happen ;)
Mine got into a routine very quickly. I always put Logan on the left, Max on the right, and they figure that out quick. (They can go out of position to sniff things and such, but should go back into position when you get moving again.) I mentioned this in a previous post, though, and got some replies that it doesn't always go so nicely.

-do I treat Kramer the same while treating the new dog a little bit more "sternly" so she knows the rules.
I tried to treat them equally.

-is it really easier with 2 vs 1?
Main things that are harder is walking as you mentioned, and driving both together if you have only a sedan. (No problem with a van/suv). Also feeding -- keep the bowls spaced apart (opposite sides of the kitchen for example) and you have to watch them otherwise if one leaves his food the other may have a double-meal.

-any extra information that might be helpful

Nothing comes to mind, but again I've only added a second dog one time.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest FloridaGirl

I would imagine that, as long as they get along, the addition will only be positive! I don't have experience with two dogs, but I found that adding a bunny only made them both happier and the expenses don't really double (unless you're talking about vet bills), but just increase incrementally because many things are shared. And I've definitely seen other folks with old dogs training new dogs - hopefully that will be the case! Since I can't give any advice, I'll send lots of good wishes and high-fives your way!

And I am jealous of all the naming possibilities you have starting off with "Kramer". "The Drake", "Putty", "Newman", "Maestro", "Mandelbaum", "Estelle"...the possibilities are ENDLESS! :balloonparty (I always thought "Newman" would be a fantastic and funny girl's name!)

Relax and enjoy it! Most of the things you mentioned will work themselves out naturally without much fuss.

I would caution you to not have an expectation that the two will know and/or recognize each other. Sometimes littermates do and sometimes they don't. They may be super BFFs and snuggle and look cute - or not. Either way, if you like Kramer's personality, his sister should be much the same (while still being an individual), so expect the same sort of transitions and problems you experienced with Kramer.

If you have a yard and they will be playing together they both must be muzzled. A small nip in fun can quickly turn into a serious skin tear, so it's best to just not take the chance. Also, I never leave multiples unsupervised while they are eating. Never. It takes 5 minutes (or less in my house :rolleyes: ) for them to eat. I like to monitor that everyone is eating their food, how much, and if they are being picky or not - to anticipate if anyone os feeling poorly or has an issue. I have one who inhales food and would eat everyone else's as well if I didn't stand right there and stop her.

Congratualations and good luck! Remember, we want :digicam

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Magzy68

Thank you so much to everyone! Your suggestions are very helpful! I will definitely post pictures and reveal the name whenever we get her!!

As for bathroom breaks in sync..... my four don't. Benny needs to go out after eating, but otherwise is fine, Hermon would rather not get up at all and pees twice a day - the second time only because I think peeing once a day is not good for him, and it takes the united efforts of DH and I to get to Ol' Iron Bladder outside to do his business (where he pees copiously for a minute or so) - Paige can and does hold it for 12 - 16 hours, but will pee if given the chance. Brandi, on the other hand, can hold it for only about 5 hours.

So it depends on the dog.

We love having multiples, and wouldn't be without at least two.