Jump to content

Pork?


MattB
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've just come back from a gathering where they were eating a huge piece of slow roasted pork (10 hrs in oven). In a vegetarian so did not partake but there was loads left over so I brought it home. I have two greyhounds but I've just heard that pork isn't great for them. I give them pork sausages (cooked) once in a while but can I feed them this leftover meat?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest sireltonsmom

Pork is hard to digest for greyhounds. I only give mine chicken and occasionally beef if some steak is left over from dinner. And, you may not know if onion (which is toxic for dogs) was a part of the roasting process. So, I personally would not feed it to the houndies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dogs eat raw. And pork is one of their favorites. We buy the shoulder & country ribs. I too am a vegetarian

 

 

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From personal experience be careful with amounts of fatty pork like sausage. My sister fed my Poodle a lot of bacon without my knowledge and he almost died of pancreatitis then became diabetic. Poodle was sick from the fat but my vet said that a lot of dogs have problems with pork in general. Lean pork like roasts shouldn't be a problem in reasonable amounts.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my current greyhounds and an angel greyhound had severe issues with pork - they would get upset tummies if they got more than a small amount (tablespoon). My other ones seem to tolerate small amounts OK but, I don't give more than a 1/4 cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine are fine with pork, but they mostly eat it raw. They have eaten it cooked before with no issues. I am guessing it just depends on the dog. Some cuts of pork can be fatty which can cause issues, especially if the meat is cooked.

 

You could always cube it into little pieces and freeze to use as training treats. Then they will only get small amounts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...