Feeding Schedule

Guest LTJ889

Hey guys :chow

I have a two year old greyhound x - we feed him twice a day, once in the morning around 8.30am and then again at 2.30pm. But I struggle to get him to do his evening poop before bed (around 11pm) resulting in a surprise in the morning on the floor!

We walk at 11am and if I did an evening walk too he would poop but I work and he wants to stay in bed!

I guess I need to change his dinner time but would you recommend moving it earlier or later? I wouldn't want him starving overnight so I was thinking if I changed it to around 5pm he might wait and poop in the morning?

What works for your greys? Thanks for any advice!

We feed 5h30ish in the morning (yes it is early yikes!) and 5h15 in the evening. He poops on each of our walks which are 6h15am, 4h30pm and around 8pm. Sometimes he even poops twice on his walk (especially in the morning). We never have any surprise poop :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Guest sireltonsmom

We feed our two at around 6 a.m. - they walk first and poo once or twice each. We feed again around 5 p.m. after their late afternoon walk. We walk them at 11:30 - noon and they poop then. And one last whiz opportunity around 9 p.m. so they're comfortable all night. Since it sounds like you haven't had him too long, your routine will become his routine in fairly short order. Adjustment issues aren't unusual. Praise him like crazy when he poops outside. Good luck and welcome.

Hey guys :chow

I have a two year old greyhound x - we feed him twice a day, once in the morning around 8.30am and then again at 2.30pm. But I struggle to get him to do his evening poop before bed (around 11pm) resulting in a surprise in the morning on the floor!

We walk at 11am and if I did an evening walk too he would poop but I work and he wants to stay in bed!

I guess I need to change his dinner time but would you recommend moving it earlier or later? I wouldn't want him starving overnight so I was thinking if I changed it to around 5pm he might wait and poop in the morning?

What works for your greys? Thanks for any advice!

Annie eats breakfast anywhere from 7 to 8 AM, depending on when she gets up. She eats supper at 3 PM, which used to be 4 PM before we changed the time last fall and fell back. I actually think 3 or 4 o'clock is too early for supper, considering she doesn't eat b'fast until 15 hours later, so I also think feeding supper at 2:30 is too early. If you fed him earlier, he'd be eating lunch and then go 20+ hours without food. That's a long time.

You say an evening walk isn't possible because you work AND he wants to stay in bed. How do you know he wants to stay in bed if you're working? I ask because if somebody else is home and can take him for a P&P outing late at night, have them do it no matter what your boy wants. This also raises the question: How often does he get a chance to go outside for a P&P? You mention a walk at 11 AM but I assume he is taken outside more often than that.

We all love our Greyhounds and spoil them shamelessly sometimes, but I think that we agree that the bottom line is a GH is a dog and we are the humans. If he needs to be taken out late in the evening so he doesn't poo in the house, then he has to do it. You wouldn't allow him to eat a box of chocolates just 'cause he wanted to. Don't let him sleep instead of pooing because he wants to.

How long have you had him? What is his name? We need a picture! :-)

ETA: Annie's first P&P is when she gets up. She then eats. She P&Ps again on morning walk at around 9 AM, depending on when she got up. She P&Ps again on walk around 1-2 PM. She eats supper at 3 and usually goes into the fenced backyard about 5 for a quick pee. Her final pee is about 7:30 PM at which time she gets her meds (well, I get her meds..LOL) and puts herself to bed. She can go out much more often if she wants, but doesn't want to.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest FlaOkie

Our 5 year old is fed at 8:00 AM

She gets her first walk of the day around 9:00AM – 10:00AM and usually poops.

She is then fed again at 4:30PM

Sometimes on her last walk of the day around 11:00PM she may decide to poop again.

But for the most part she waits until the next morning.

I would try the second feeding later, around 5:00PM – 5:30PM, then stick to the routine.

Establishing a routine is most important, but takes time. He will get the idea.

Mine aren't on a strict schedule but generally they eat at around 8 am, and then anywhere between 4-5 pm. Mine get walked twice a day. On the odd days I can't do the evening walk I am usually woken up at 3am by a whining greyhound who has to go potty. I have a small yard I let them out in, but they often need a walk to actually go potty. My suggestion would be to try to incorporate an evening walk into your schedule (if you can with your work).

Good luck!

mine must be on a continental schedule

breakfast 8-9 sometimes later

dinner- 7 or 8 unless dh gets crazy listening to them sing for their dinner.

try a turn out before bed no matter what. take your dog to their favorite poop spot and tell him to go poop. when he finally does, after walking him back and forth in that area- reward w/ a tasty treat. he'll get the hang of it.

We get up at 9 and go straight out for P&P, followed by breakfast. The day goes like this:

9am - get up, pee & poo, then breakfast

11am - pee

2pm - pee & poo

5pm - pee

6pm - dinner

9-10pm - pee, maybe poo

Midnight-1am - pee & poo (if there wasn't a poo at 9-10pm), then it's milkbone & bedtime.

She gets lots of running and playtime in the (sheltered) back yard with me several times a day, plus (with obliging weather) we run with greyhounds most weekends. Walks are not very frequent during the week as I can't tolerate being too cold (I am NOT a good Canadian! - walking is not as sheltered as my back yard), so DH walks her on the weekends. Once the weather gets nicer, then she gets walked by me during the week. When we camp in the summer, she gets LOTS of walks because there is never a fenced area to run.

I, too, think your dinner time is spaced a bit oddly. Generally speaking, I would hazard to say that dogs like to have a poop after eating -- some dogs seem to poop fairly soon after, others, like mine, seems to have a 4-hour schedule after meals. I have never owned one who would be happy holding it for hours. I would be taking him out regardless of what he wanted -- and, like cleptogray said, keep at it until he goes and offer a treat and praise. It's a scheduling thing and he will learn.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

6:30 am - 45 minute walk

7:30 am breakfast

1:00 - 60 minute walk

5:30 pm - walk

6:00 pm - dinner

11:30 pm final walk (15 mins when it's really cold)

summer schedule is similar for meal times but walks are longer.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest OPointyDog

mine must be on a continental schedule

Ha ha! Mine too! Our schedule varies a lot, depending on how early I have to be in or whether it's the weekend. They get fed as early as 7AM or as late as 10AM. Dinner isn't until I get home from work, which is usually somewhere around 7pm. I walk them after feeding them and they always go.

My sense is that if the meals are too close together, then they don't have enough time to process the last meal before the new one comes in. My male, in particular, will poop every time you walk him, but his poop is very soft and runny if the walks are too close together. Our metaphor is that the poop needs to cook longer in the dog!

So I agree that shifting the dinner meal later and taking him out later whether he wants to go or not is a good idea. My female would much rather lounge on her bed than go for the last out of the night, but she's a dog and doesn't make good decisions!

Guest Johberry

Great advice already. I, too, concur perhaps spacing time between meals will help. Taking him out even when he doesn't ask is a good idea, too. Our boy loves water, so he gets taken out as needed even when he doesn't ask depending on how much he's guzzled.

If it may be useful, here's our typical weekday routine:

0600: Initial p&p

0700: Breakfast

0800: 30-45 minute walk, p&p

0900: Crate time with treat-filled Kong and water bowl while we're gone

1500-1600 (or earlier depending on who gets home 1st): 15-25 minute afternoon walk, p&p

1700-1800: Dinner

1900-2000: 30-45 minute walk, p&p

2200-2300: Last p&p outing before bedtime

On average, our hound poops anywhere between 2-4 times a day depending on what he's eaten (If he gets Olewo in his breakfast, output and frequency will be a bit more). During his last outing of the day, he'll usually only urinate and will only defecate if he hadn't done so during his evening walk earlier. We found that his raw dinner meals take a bit longer to digest and has gone an evening after dinner without pooping and instead will do so first thing in the morning. Like OPointyDog has already mentioned, our hound would also rather lounge so we make it a point to get him out of bed to do his business.

I try to feed two meals roughly 12 hours apart. Now that Poodle is gone and there are no insulin shots I can vary it a bit more but I am a night owl and my guys have always eaten around 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. I have a dog door which I couldn't live without, but I have noticed almost of my dogs are prone to pop out the door and poop either shorty after eating or within the hour.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest GreytGatsby

I just got a new boy and I've set him up on the following schedule:

5:45 am- Quick pee break outside

6:00 am-Breakfast

Rest and digest for 30 minutes

6:30-7:00 am-Walkies (usually a pee and a poo)

4:45 pm-Quick pee break

5:00 pm- Dinner

Rest and digest for 30 minutes

5:30 to 6:30 pm-Walkies (multiple pees and poos once or twice)

Hanging around the house for a few hours

9:00-9:30 pm-Walkies (Mostly just pee)

10:00 pm-Sleepy time!

Following this schedule, we haven't had an accident yet. However, I've kenneled him while I'm at work so far.