Allergies To New Greyhound

Guest ms3569

We adopted our greyhound in December. He was in his original home from July to December when owner had to relinquish him due to cancer. He is the best boy but unfortunately I'm really having problems with allergy symptoms. I'm taking Zyrtec daily and bought a large air purifier with hepa filter. He's not allowed in bedroom. My husband brushes him outside daily and every couple days he gets wiped down with pet wipes. We vacuum frequently and wash his bedding weekly. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions from others that have worked. I will do anything to keep him. I don't want to return him since thats already happened to him once.

It sounds as if you're doing all you can. Except .. have you considered that the allergen may be in the food you're using? Do you have food allergies? If so, take a look at the ingredients on the kibble and see if it gives you any clues.

Other than that .. often people seem to be allergic to a dog when they first bring one home, but it turns out to be the dust in their coat from the kennel, or something simple like that. Have you actually bathed him, as well as brushing and wiping? If not, that might be worth a try.

(You might want to delete the extra posts before they get replies. It can get confusing, if we don't know which one to reply to/read!)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh, and I thought I was allergic to guinea pigs, but apparently it was to a mite called cheyletiella, otherwise known as 'walking dandruff'. They are very small and hard to see, but they are infamous for causing allergies. Dogs can get them, too. They're not terribly harmful to the dog, but can cause quite severe allergy problems for those who are sensitive to them. I had huge hives all up my arms each time I handled the affected piggie.

Click for info.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Flonase is now OTC. Might work better than Zyrtec. I have posted this before, but I am allergic to everything except food and have had allergic reactions to every animal introduced into our home. You are doing all the right things.................now it's u to your immune system to calm down. It will. It's going to take some time, but your body will adjust. Wish I could tell you how long, but everyone is different.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead