Vegetarian Gh?

MattB

My dogs are not on a vegetarian diet but they love all kinds of vegetables and fruits. I was surprised that my boy loves lettuce, celery, steals green peppers and tomatoes off the plants, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, snap peas, brussels sprouts, etc. I don't think they would do well on just those things though. Where's the protein?

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I just don't see how a dog of any kind would get all of the minerals and vitamins, let alone the protein, they need from vegetables. Mine eat cooked veg regularly and Brandi loves fruit, but they're designed to be carnivores. I do know a vegan who feeds her grey a lot of pasta, veges with a little bit of meat. He looks flabby and 'soft'. We shall see.

There were a few topics started on vegan/vegetarian diets for dogs but, not too many replies as the raw feeders (or grain free) would pretty much demolish (and not in a good way) the thread before it got too far. You might want to see if you can search for the threads.

Eggs, cheese & dairy have plenty of protein for dogs on a vegetarian diet .. a vegan diet is harder but there are beans and grains and, there are supplements for the taurine.

One of my dogs has kidney issues and as a result, limited protein. He gets 5 level tablespoons of hamburger twice a day and just recently had his 13th birthday (and he is a big greyhound boy). He's not flabby or soft.

edited to add -- this is one of the threads that I was talking about ...

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/258986-feeding-my-dogs-a-vegan-diet/page-7?hl=+vegan%20+diet

Edited by MaryJane

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of feeding mine a vegetarian diet (although I'm veggie myself). I'd just been looking at different diets and found a vegetarian and vegan one so was just curious.

I know that vegetarianism attracts criticism for lack of balance but I always think I'm sure there are plenty of terrible diets that contain meat too!

I will read that thread MaryJane - had missed it.

I don't know why anyone would impose human values on dogs. They are meant to be omnivores. I do love seeing them eat berries and vegetables off the vine!

My thoughts exactly. Funniest thing ever was Kenny Roo Who the grey mix eating a watermelon slice, but vegetarian or vegan for a dog would be terribly hard to balance. One of the larger manufacturers has a veggie kibble. At least that would have the essential vitamins and minerals but I wouldn't do it.. Let me see if I can find it. http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/product.aspx?ProductId=18&product=Vegetarian+Dry+Dog+Formula

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

No flames here. I recently went pesco-veg, and I couldn't be happier about my decision.

There was someone on here who tried V-Dog, but if I'm remembering correctly, the dog didn't do well on it. He was fine initially, then got pretty sick, and was subsequently switched back to kibble. If you're concerned about a dog food company's ethical practices, a lot of that research is available online. Instead of a full-on veg diet, you can find companies that are locally sourced, avoid factory farming, and don't take part in animal testing.