Kirkland Dog Food

Guest OurGreytLife

Guest OurGreytLife

Hi everyone.

Just adopted a 2 yr old female from the track. She came to us with Kirkland Signature dog food. She's itchy, loose stool since we got her. No fleas, Metronidazole did not help. Has vet appt tomorrow. She's active, playful, no vomiting. My house is dry because of the furnace running all the time (Michigan weather). Skin & ears look good.

Does anyone have any thoughts/problems with this food? Wondering if she has a food allergy. Got a humidifier the other day.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

I have a lot of friends and who use it. The only reason I don't is because I don't have the patience for Costco.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

Congratulations on your new girl! :clap

We use Iams here and I used to try changing to "better" brands only to realize that for my pups Iams is the best choice. I do know that some people have posted it did not work for their pup. Also, you didn't say how long you've had her, but if you just got her she might be nervous with all the changes and you might need to give her some time to settle in.

Also, what is her name and we need pictures please :digicam

I have had Brady on Kirkland Lamb and Rice and he has done great with it. He had soft stools on any dog food that has chicken as it main protein.

Not sure how long you have had your new girl but it could be nerves and just adjusting to her new life. Depending on how long you have had her I am not sure I would make any changes right now. It could make the problem worse.

I also give Brady coconut oil for dry skin (tablespoon at each meal). I had to work up to that amount cause the oil can also cause soft stools.

Congratulations on you new girl and I look forward to seeing pictures of her.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

My three eat Kirklands Lamb and Rice at supper.

They get raw in the morning.

I have fed it for many years with no issues at all.

Have you done a fecal?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Mario (2nd Chance Rescue).   Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) and especially  Nigel (Nigel), waiting at the Bridge

SKM-fall.jpg

Guest OurGreytLife

Thank you all for the replies. We had Kylee one month now. I took her to the vet and it turns out she has an intestinal infection and is on medication and a bland diet. Her stools are looking better. So far my vet thinks the intestinal infection was from being fed a poor diet. My vet is not a fan of Kirkland dog food. After her infection clears we will switch her to Proplan. My vet said she has not seen any problems in dogs on this food and her dog is on it. I've known my vet personally for 15 years so I trust her opinion. Still need to drop off a fresh stool sample to rule out parasites. Will try to do that today - it's my day off.

I would check out Olewo carrots. They help soothe the digestive system and is a natural dewormer. It helped so much with my new hound's soft poops. In less than a week they were normal. I use that and their beets along with coconut oil as a daily supplement. My two hounds love it and it is so healthy.

You can order it from Olewo USA or from Amazon.

Guest OurGreytLife

Thanks for the help. Got a fresh stool sample and it came back positive for hookworms. :( Her stool is looking much better and we're now treating for the parasite as well.

Glad you're getting things cleared up. Kirkland food is, imo, a perfectly good food--our adoption group has all of their fosters on it--and if she starts well on it I'd leave things alone. But the best food is what works for your dog.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.