"whine It Out"?

Guest FloridaGirl

Guest FloridaGirl

When you make sure that they're not hungry, don't have to potty, are comfortable, and generally ok do you just let them "whine it out"? Claymore seems so fretful and he's whining more and more. I thought this was because I was doing the dishes and not in the next room with him. Once I was done I went to sit in there with him and let him out of the crate. He likes it in there so he just wandered about and returned to it. He began whining again while I was in there, so I thought "well maybe me being in here is worrying him because he's expecting me to do something", so I moved into the next room again (I'm sitting around the corner, only about 6 feet away from his crate). He's still peeping. Do I just let him continue to whine until he resets and starts napping again? I've tried to offer a nice toy (which he seems interested in for about 3 minutes) or a crate-only delicious treat bone (also about 3 minutes). I've also got talk radio on in there with him as well as Netflix playing on my laptop just a few feet away. I've also got a DAP diffuser going.

Is this just normal adjustment woe? I'm not really bothered by it (it's a gentle peeping he's making) but I just want to make sure there's nothing more I can try for now. I just took him out for his midday potty, so he's all cleaned out in that regard.

Crate door is open, yes?

Don't rush him or over stimulate him. He's just had a whirlwind 24 hours. He's used to being surrounded by many dogs and now he's with you, an unfamiliar person and in a room full of new smells.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yes, as long as you're fairly certain nothing is seriously wrong, just ignore it. All of the things you are doing to try to address the whining may actually be reinforcing it. Giving him attention while whining (and really many of the things you're describing are giving him attention in some form) will definitely reinforce it.

If he's well exercised, has had a good chance to empty out, has been fed and has access to things to keep him occupied like the stuffed kong and toys, just let him be.

No chance he's recovering from a neuter and could be uncomfortable, right?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Scouts_mom

Do you talk out loud to yourself? He has a right to do the same! As long as nothing is obviously wrong, he may just be telling the world about this strange place were he has found himself. I once had a grey that softly talked to herself constantly. It was rather cute once I understood what she was doing.

Of course, her whining got much louder when she wanted something and her servant (me) wasn't responding quickly enough.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Guest FloridaGirl

I'm definitely avoiding reinforcing it - I'm not talking to him or talking to him/patting him whilst he is doing it. The only time I came close to it was hanging out in the same room as him just for company's sake (after all, this is his first full day away from his friends) but this didn't seem to help, so I changed tactics into the "whining it out" strategy. One of my biggest pet peeves (hehe) from when I worked at a vet clinic was people who would absolutely SHOWER comfort and affection on their nervous critters, not realizing that they were telling their pets "This is the best possible way for you to react, and should do so in the future."

I gave him more blankets and he seems to really enjoy snooting around in them, so that's helped some. He still lets out a melodramatic heeeeeeeen HEEEEN here and there. I'm chalking it up to what Scouts_mom proposed - he's just telling the world that THIS IS JUST REALLY WEIRD FOR ME, OK. I've just got the crate door open and he's just sitting for a while, getting up, moving about the room, then going back to the crate. (He doesn't need to potty, we just did that about an hour ago when I thought this meant "I need to potty".) There are some weird smells and sounds here, so I can totally understand. To be honest, this is feel when I move to a new place!

Thanks for the help, guys. :) Sorry if I seem overly anxious - I'm sure both he and I will chill out over the coming days.

It is cute - every now and then he'll let out a dramatic cleansing breath like SIGH I SUPPOSE.

He's been through a lot of changes in the last 24 hours as macoduck said. So maybe he is a little nervous and just needs to get used to his new surroundings. Also, if you are nervous, he may be sensing that as well. Relax, he will adjust day by day.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I'm definitely avoiding reinforcing it - I'm not talking to him or talking to him/patting him whilst he is doing it.

You mentioned offering things like toys and bones (which are also reinforcing) to him. Just be careful that there's been at least 5 seconds of quiet before you do those things rather than doing them close to or while he's whining. Even just being overly attentive to the whining - he could be picking up on it.

Sounds like you've got it under control though. The big sighs are signs that he's relaxing so that's a good thing.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FloridaGirl

Gah - you're right. Sorry if I didn't clarify - I see how poorly I worded it now! These things are in there for him (and only when he is in the crate). I only have a couple for now, more variety will come! Adding those blankies really helped, as he really REALLY seems to enjoy digging them into a pile and using them as a pillow. and turning the radio from sports talk to a random music station helped too. He's completely out right now. :)

Guest silverram323

Our latest girl (ree) whines like no one business, but only(mostly) when she is in the crate and no one is in the house. We can hear her while we are out side doing chores (managing the horses, doing chores) Its nothing for her to carry on for a few hours. We we come in, let her out, and outside and she settles down on her bed in the living room and all is good.

I truly think she is lonely, she came from a home with 22 other greys ( rescue home)

we home she works in it and grows out of it.

Gah - you're right. Sorry if I didn't clarify - I see how poorly I worded it now! These things are in there for him (and only when he is in the crate). I only have a couple for now, more variety will come! Adding those blankies really helped, as he really REALLY seems to enjoy digging them into a pile and using them as a pillow. and turning the radio from sports talk to a random music station helped too. He's completely out right now. :)

Ah, gotcha'. ;) Glad he's settling in!

Rudy sometimes seems to like to just wander around vocalizing a bit. He'll whine a bit, wander to the living room, roo out the window a moment, wander back, whine some more. Eventually settles down and goes to sleep. This is often while I'm working (I work from home) so sometimes I think he just is feeling a bit bored but I can't pay him much attention and work at the same time!

Guest FloridaGirl

Just an update: He's getting better - the heeeening isn't consistent anymore. He'll do a few big heeeeens, sigh, and then snuggle up and pass out. I've found that tiresome walks are helping a lot. :) Thanks all for your support! It's only day 3 with him so I'm impressed with how cool he is even with the little anxious things.