Came Out Of Nowhere.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

We have an appointment at 730 am. The receptionist talked about aspirating. Will they be able to tell if it's osteo from an X-ray or will we have to wait for results? Bigger this morning.

Guest lanielovesgreys

The xrays show no bone decay so it's either very early or not osteo. However, it looks like a cancer of some type. The needle aspiration just showed inflammatory fluid. She's going to do a chest xray to see if there are mets there. If there are not, we're going to do a "core" of the bone and biopsy that. The vet is 90% sure it's cancer of some kind.

And here's the xray, if anyone knows anything about reading them. Husband and I are home, they have to wait for her to be pretty sedate to do the chest xrays and core thing. This morning I find myself just hoping that whenever and however she goes, I hope it's not traumatic and full of terrible pain. She's coming home this afternoon, one way or the other.

A8801C09-8D54-40F7-B37F-FD8AC7B28D3E.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

When we went through this with Macy (she actually had 2 lumps that were excised), both aspirates showed cells that indicated cancer. One was fibrosarcoma, the other was just an inflamed mass that must have been injury related.

Please try not to think the worst, though I know it's really hard not to... and I know I would be feeling the exact same things you are :(

Edited by MnMDogs

It does like like some sort of sarcoma. The fact that it appears aggressive is concerning. Have you considered getting a consult with Dr Couto after you get the pathology back?

Edited to add-can your vet send out the cytology to the lab? The biopsy will be very painful.

Edited by tbhounds

Just seeing this now. Sorry you're potentially dealing with cancer. Agree that getting Dr. Couto on board is a good idea. Or just an oncology consult at a good hospital near you. I would do that before biopsying personally, but also understand wanting to take care of it now if she's already sedated for chest x-rays (although I've never had to have a dog sedated for chest x-rays).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MnMDogs

It does like like some sort of sarcoma. The fact that it appears aggressive is concerning. Have you considered getting a consult with Dr Couto after you get the pathology back?

Edited to add-can your vet send out the cytology to the lab? The biopsy will be very painful.

I would also have he cytology sent for analysis, and contact Dr. Couto with the results. He was very helpful when we were dealing with Macy's issues.

Guest lanielovesgreys

They were sedating her bc they have to lay her on her side and she won't even let john and I do it without screaming in pain. I'm doing the biopsy so we can get it all done and bring her home and don't have to bring her in for any reason. I had planned on going the Dr C route. I just want her home and comfortable and that's my primary concern right now.

If it is osteo or another cancer, I'm not sure what we'd do. I'm having a hard time even visualizing the next step. She's almost 12, so I'm not sure we'd intervene except to give her everything we can to keep her comfortable.

My Lilly developed a huge (like sticking out an inch) lump over her eye in the course of a day. The vet did a needle aspiration and the cells showed inflammation and other signs that indicated it might be cancer. We had the lump removed and it turned out to be just a fibrous mass, probably from a trauma.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly