1/4 An Aspirin A Day For Stroke Prevention-So Much Blood Oh My!

I went to a greyhound health seminar about 2 years ago put on by The Greyhound Sunburst Project. Great seminars. One thing that was covered was giving your greyhounds a 1/4 of a chewable low dose aspirin a day for stroke prevention. It helps to keep the platelets less sticky.

I started my Luka on it that night and so did some of my friends who had older hounds. It was recommended to start at age 8. We were told not to stop even when having a dental. My Luka had a dental with no issues.

On Wednesday I got a call from my brother while I was a work. He came home to what looked like a crime scene. Blood in two rooms, all over the couch, not just drops but small puddles. My brother is visually impaired and he could not tell where the blood was coming from. His back foot was covered in blood.

I filled a bucket with warm water and put Luka's foot in it and washed his foot off. It was not coming from his foot. Then I noticed a wound on his upper leg. We think that was the source.

I cleaned the wound, put veteracin on it and put a non-stick pad on it and wrapped it with vet wrap.

I changed the bandage the next day and it was pretty clean.

Today I get a call from my brother, Luka is bleeding again, all over the couch and Luka.

Once again I came home but not before calling my vet for an appointment.

I cleaned Luka up and could not find another wound. His bandage was soaked with blood.

We got him to the vet right away. My vet was surprised that the wound which was a minor scrape would bleed that much. I told her about the aspirin. She said it could be the cause. She took a blood sample to check for clotting issues. Poor Luka it took three attempts on three legs to get a sample.

My vet called the other vet at the practice (our adoption group vet who sees every hound that comes to our group and has tons of greyhound experience) to ask him about aspirins and stroke prevention. She also checked on line and could not find anything that supported the theory of aspirin for stroke prevention if the dog had not already had a stroke. Both vets agreed that Luka needed to be taken off the aspirin.

Because his blood was so thin she could not get readings on some of the things she wanted to check.

She wants me to have his blood checked again in two months after he is off the aspirin.

Oh Luka you gave me two scares this week, Momma needs a break.

Luka and his brother Carter got a McDonalds cheeseburger to ease his pain and suffering.

Thank goodness my boss is a huge dog lover and totally gets me having to leave to take care of my boy.

Not everything that's good for people is good for dogs. I hope his clotting factors will bounce back quickly.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest PiagetsMom

:grouphug Have never heard of it as a preventative in dogs...and I believe it's being questioned in preventative human usage. Poodle went on a low dose aspirin dosage after his first stroke then had another stroke 3 or 4 years later.

My understanding is that if you don't have a family history of heart disease, or have not had a stroke or heart attack, it's no longer recommended to take a daily aspirin for preventative measures. I've also never heard of it used this way for dogs, but I hope Luka will be okay now that you've discontinued the aspirin!

Desi had a problem with clots last year. First clot settled in a tricep muscle, our first trip to OSU, it was fairly small & easily resolved.

3 months later, a larger one in his thigh, much more problematic, another trip to OSU and a weekend in ICU. It took him almost a

month to regain use of that leg, and OSU recommended 1/2 of a low-dose aspirin daily to hopefully ward off further clots. Seems to

have worked, we've had no further clot formation (knock on wood).

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Bullitt took 1/2 of a baby aspirin daily but he was at risk for a stroke because of his high blood pressure and kidney disease. Joey has high blood pressure but doesn't get the aspirin because he tends to bleed easily.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Lillypad

This preventative measure is suggested by Dr. Guillermo Couto. I attended a Greyhound Wellness Conference in August 2014. It was discussed there. I considered it, but have not (but only cause I am very lackadaisical about supplements) In the information booklet we were given it says "For thrombosis/stokes give aspirin dose 1/2 or 1 cardio aspirin (81mg) once a day. One of the other recommendations, (which I do take seriously,lol) is to have an annual CBC done. That way the vet will have a base line record to compare the dog's health progression. Your situation is a curious one. I hope you get it sorted out. Keep us informed. Best of luck.

:grouphug Have never heard of it as a preventative in dogs...and I believe it's being questioned in preventative human usage. Poodle went on a low dose aspirin dosage after his first stroke then had another stroke 3 or 4 years later.

I think it's being questioned too. I am so sad when I remember how my mother died ... she was a nurse and a great believe in the 'aspirin a day keeps the heart attack at bay' thinking, so that's what she did. She died of a massive brain bleed. We'll never know whether the aspirin was the cause or if it would have happened anyway, but these days I'm skeptical of these 'health initiatives' without solid research backing them.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

In your case Amicar likely wouldn't do any good, and there may be some concern that it could make matters worse. Amicar keeps clots from dissolving. Aspirin keeps you from making clots.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope Luka is feeling better!

Desi had a problem with clots last year. First clot settled in a tricep muscle, our first trip to OSU, it was fairly small & easily resolved.

3 months later, a larger one in his thigh, much more problematic, another trip to OSU and a weekend in ICU. It took him almost a

month to regain use of that leg, and OSU recommended 1/2 of a low-dose aspirin daily to hopefully ward off further clots. Seems to

have worked, we've had no further clot formation (knock on wood).

That's wonderful that OSU was able to diagnose those clots! Do you remember how they found the first clot? Did they do an ultrasound?

A blanket recommendation for daily low dose aspirin for hounds who have never had a stroke is very surprising to me.

I understand that every patient is different. We happen to have three excessive bleeder Greyhounds. One of the excessive bleeders had a TIA stroke several years ago, but even with that diagnosis, I couldn't imagine giving her blood-thinning aspirin daily. In contrast, she still requires Amicar (aka: aminocaproic acid) to prevent excessive bleeding during surgery/recovery. Rimadyl even causes her internal bleeding. Although there may be better topical products to treat hounds' minor skin wounds at home, we keep "Clotisol" on hand to help prevent minor cuts from becoming dangerous bleeds before we can get to a vet. (We do not use Quick Stop powder on skin tears.)

Human doctors often warn pre-surgical patients to halt blood thinner supplements (like Vitamin E, Fish Oil, etc.) before surgery due to increased risk of bleeding. Like Pam, Silverfish and others mentioned, doctors are more carefully weighing humans' risks of low dose aspirin due to excessive bleeding.

Please let us know how things go with Luka.