Olewo Or Dewormer?

Guest HeatherLee

Guest HeatherLee

First let me preface with the fact that I will be taking the hound to the vet Tuesday and will discuss them with them as well. Here's whats going on..

Gambler has a sensitive stomach (absolutely no dairy (esp yogurt), and pumpkin and sweet potatoes seem to only make diarrhea orange), or poultry. He does get gas and D every once in awhile when he eats something he shouldn't (like when we discovered he's sensitive to turkey). But on the whole, lately he's been doing great.

Then I took him to a new vet to get his eye looked at last week and for some reason he just didn't like this place. I've never seen him so shakey and stressed, and with two vets, me and him in a small exam room he only got more nervous. Since then he's been biting at his sides a bit (not all the time but noticeable, and licks his bum a lot more) and has had softer poo than normal. I know some of this can be stressed induced, but the bum licking and biting at his sides?

Point being, this sounds like worms to me. He could have possibly picked something up from food left on the ground at my apt complex (why do people do this?) or something else and the stress irritated it. Reading on here, it seems fecal floats are mostly useless (they have been to me in the past as well). Should I just try some panacur on him or try Olewo carrots?

Dogs do not develop an itchy/puritic anus from intestinal parasites-that's a wise tail most likely derived from the fact that people can be itchy from carrying pinworms-just not true in dogs. Your hound may have multiple conditions accuring at the same time. One thing that comes to mind is he may have full anal glands. Some dogs will scoot, some will lick, some dogs will even bite their tails. I would have them checked by your veterinarian. You also need to rule out fleas. Regarding the soft stool you should submit a stool sample and/or de-worm with a broad spectrum de-wormer. Perhaps a diet change may help too--either a higher fiber or just the opposite-low residue diet may help. You need to discuss this with your veterinarian.

Guest HeatherLee

Why am I not allowed to edit/delete my own topics? Thanks for the reply tbhounds, greatly appreciated. Anyone else please disregard this post. Thanks.

Why am I not allowed to edit/delete my own topics? Thanks for the reply tbhounds, greatly appreciated. Anyone else please disregard this post. Thanks.

The ability to edit only lasts for 30 minutes unless you are a paid supporter of the site. If you were previously a supporter then the membership period expired.

Just an FYI - lots of dogs here seem to be itching now that allergy season has started. Rocket has been batting at his eyes and scratching at his nose a little. I've started giving him his eye drops that we used for ragweed allergies in the midwest.

As far as Gambler's sensitive tummy, Rocket has dealt with similar symptoms since Day 1 and was diagnosed with Stress Colitis - he gets a little stressed and the Big D or gas starts. He is on Tylan which takes care of many of the issues, but we recently added the dehydrated carrots to his food twice a day and the stools literally bounce across the ground. He seems to feel much better too. He is about 80 lbs. I make 1 tbsp of carrots with about 2-3 ounces of water each day and give him half with each meal. A little goes a long way with the carrots.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest HeatherLee

Time4Anap.. What eye drops are you using? One of gamblers eyes is red and though he's not rubbing it I suspect it could be allergy related. His usually get bad when mine do.

There are several suitable answers to your question about parasites.

Fecal floats are not as reliable as once thought. Sending a sample out for centrifugation will identify the usual suspects but adding exam using ELISA will identify everything not identifiable using centrifugation. Some of the nasties identifiable using ELISA are not treated with Panacur (fenbendazole). So, the question really is, do you want or need to know if there is something in his intestines that shouldn't be there? Panacur will take care of the most, so to save time and money, that may be the first logical step, followed by a stool sample sent out for testing should there be no improvement.

As far as adding Olewo dehydrated carrots to Gambler's diet, you can do that at any time. The carrots straightened out my new senior's "colitis" which turned out to be hookworm and giardia. ( It's a shame that his former owners wouldn't spring for the additional testing instead of spending money on Sulfasalazine for 7.5 years. What they paid for the meds was 10x what the test cost!) But back to Gambler. My boy had good luck with the carrrots but I have a friend with 2 dogs who had better results with Olewo beets. You might want to consider postponing any diet changes until you sort everything out. Just remember, solid poop does not equal parasite free poop.

Hope Gambler feels better soon.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Time4Anap.. What eye drops are you using? One of gamblers eyes is red and though he's not rubbing it I suspect it could be allergy related. His usually get bad when mine do.

These were prescribed by our vet in IL when we were battling ragweed allergies. They label says - Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexomethasone Opthalmic Suspension. There is no "trade name" on the label so I'm guessing this is a generic Rx.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

These were prescribed by our vet in IL when we were battling ragweed allergies. They label says - Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexomethasone Opthalmic Suspension. There is no "trade name" on the label so I'm guessing this is a generic Rx.

that's what i use for annie's pannus. it will reduce scar tissue- battling w/ that as well, from an ulcer which could not be treated w/ the dexomethasone. she developed a huge scar(pannus looking growth) during that ulcer healing period. double check w/ your current vet, he may prescribe a mild human eye drop if you ask.