Therapaw Fitting

I recently ordered and received a Therapaw booty through Greythounds of Eastern Michigan (high recommend their store!) and got a size TE which was the largest they offered. I'm having trouble getting it to stay on though, I almost feel its to small. Aidan is a 66lb male. He dosn't give me any trouble getting the boot on his foot but it never seems to stay on for more then a minute with him walking perfectly normal. I would order a larger size but I want to make sure its not just a user error.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What size do your hounds wear if they have a therapaw?

I had Kasey fitted by a Therapaw person working a booth, and he was sized a medium (same size as Aidan). I felt that the medium was too tight though (similar to your feeling), and after a few years of "trying to make it work" we tossed them. They just fit too snug IMO. I wonder if there is a large between medium and the biggest one you have?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My angel Mandy wore Therapaws for years. She was 62-64 pounds and comfortably wore a TE. Is it the front of back? I had trouble with her front feet because of her dewclaws.Most Greyhounds I've met wear a TE, though some of the very big boys wear a TF (we have a dog who came through our group who wears a TF -- he is 90+ pounds).

It did take me quite some time to get them to stay on. It was definitely user error on my part. I spent many a walk backtracking to find lost boots.

I wish I was closer to you, I'd have you come by and show you what I learned. If you happen to be in Northern Va sometime soon, PM me and we can get together.

You need to make sure the foot is secure in the foot area and carefully secure the vertical velcro before winding the strap. They do have larger sizes (TF and TG), which you can try, but you may end up having to put a toddler sock on Aidan's foot if that is too big. You may want to see the sizing chart on the Therapaw website. Also, make sure that his nails are very short as nails that are too long will cause issues with the fit.

Edited by MandysMom

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

My angel Mandy wore Therapaws for years. She was 62-64 pounds and comfortably wore a TE. Is it the front of back? I had trouble with her front feet because of her dewclaws.Most Greyhounds I've met wear a TE, though some of the very big boys wear a TF (we have a dog who came through our group who wears a TF -- he is 90+ pounds).

It did take me quite some time to get them to stay on. It was definitely user error on my part. I spent many a walk backtracking to find lost boots.

I wish I was closer to you, I'd have you come by and show you what I learned. If you happen to be in Northern Va sometime soon, PM me and we can get together.

You need to make sure the foot is secure in the foot area and carefully secure the vertical velcro before winding the strap. They do have larger sizes (TF and TG), which you can try, but you may end up having to put a toddler sock on Aidan's foot if that is too big. You may want to see the sizing chart on the Therapaw website. Also, make sure that his nails are very short as nails that are too long will cause issues with the fit.

Thanks Mandy! I was thinking it might just be user error on my part so I will just keep trying. Its brand new too so many it just needs to be worked in a bit. He does need a nail trim as well.

Guest Proudmoore

Jaina wears a T/E on her front foot - she's a fairly big girl at 70 lbs. When we got the boot it definitely seemed too small but it softened up and stretched with wear. To speed the process I actually stuffed a tennis ball into the foot area and left it in overnight for the first few days of use, until it became easier to slide her foot in.

I also had trouble with the dew claw area, but I ended up just cutting a rectangle out of the upper fabric as a dew claw slot. The upper fabric doesn't fray - our boot is still fine after cutting it several months ago.

CALL TheraPaws directly,,,, they are a wonderful company to deal with!

i needed 2 different sized for my boy - who had separate issues on each back foot ---

They are wonderful company and will work with you to fit the dogs foot perfectly. In fact - I due to needing 2 different sizes, they offered

me discontinued styles at VERY discounted prices!!!

I love Thera Paws for my boy, when he wore them,, he's in across the bridge now and has perfect feet! runng pain free :beatheart:gh_run2

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest normaandburrell

I traced my hound's foot and measured it before ordering. Did you do that? That said, the boot was still hard to put on at first. It needs to be snug, or it will come off.