Why Does He Do This?

This is more of a curiosity than anything. Periodically, when River is laying down somewhere Indy likes to come and quietly stand over him, getting as far into River's bubble as he can without actually stepping on him. River doesn't seem to care one bit; if his head's resting on the ground it'll stay there, if he's looking at something he'll keep looking at that thing. Sometimes he'll lick Indy's legs, sometimes he'll just look up at Indy or look over at me. Indy will stand like this for a couple of seconds or a couple of minutes and then go find something else to do. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it; it doesn't seem like an act of dominance or seem to happen in one specific location in the house (like on a bed or anything). Do anyone elses's hounds do this? Any idea why?

2937a5b2-94a2-428c-b055-38a9ebaa3778.jpg

20ba00b9-b76f-4950-b036-0634003180b6.jpg

My uncle had a great pyrenees that used to do that when we were lying on the floor or the grass. It seemed to be a protective behaviour since we were "vulnerable". He would get up to stand over us.

Not ideal for tanning I must say!

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

My two greys that I had from puppies used to do this, I have to admit that I never questioned it as they always had done it but I would suspect that it is a protective/bonding behaviour as dogs that did not feel truly at ease would not accept this....Niles (my friends Grey )tries to do this but although they are good friends Johnny will growl at him when he does, this is just my take on it but I love to try to explore these behaviours.

Eta. I do have a picture of my boys doing this but can't share it at the mo as it is not hosted anywhere since the old site went down :(

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest normaandburrell

We volunteer with our adoption group and I have seen some dogs at the kennel do this. I agree it looks affectionate more than dominant. There are some litter mates in the current group, plus some dogs have come from the same racing kennel. I'll have to ask the regular kennel workers what they think.

our first greyhound did this to me all of the time. It just meant she wanted a belly rub.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Scouts_mom

Just to be clear--It can be a dominance thing. My Henry stands over Bree when she has a bed that he wants. Eventually she will move, while grumbling quietly. It is rather funny to watch.

Bonding/affection/protective makes a lot of sense; they're pretty close, so maybe it's just their way of being affectionate without actually curling up together. It's never seemed like a dominance thing for them anyway; if it is, Indy's doing a really bad job of it because River never gets up!

this is just my take on it but I love to try to explore these behaviours.

Me too! That's why I was curious what this behavior might be, it's fascinating to try and figure out why they do what they do.

Buck does that to me any time I lay on the floor. I find it a bit odd...but usually if I just reach up and pet him, he moves away. Some things I don't really need to look at from that angle, you know?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It probably doesn't mean the same thing every time to every dog. Sometimes mine do this when they want a particular bed, sometimes they want attention, sometimes they want to play, sometimes they are asking to lay down next to the other dog. They do it to both other dogs and to people, and even the cat. It seems to be one of thise behaviors that is multi-purpose!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just to be clear--It can be a dominance thing. My Henry stands over Bree when she has a bed that he wants. Eventually she will move, while grumbling quietly. It is rather funny to watch.

You are quite right, having the "higher ground" can be a dominance thing as well as invading the other dogs' space.....but the body language displayed in the photo would suggest they are much more relaxed with each other.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT