Greyhound Pooping In House

Guest Ruxinsmom

Guest Ruxinsmom

Hello everyone, this is my first post to greytalk, but I've even a frequent reader of the posts!

My greyhound, Ruxin, has been with us for almost two years. He is a great dog, adjusted very well with little SA and was housebroken very quickly resulting in eventual free reign of the house without using a crate. Recently in the past month he started pooping in the house overnight in the room furthest from his bed. This was then followed by occasionally both pooping and peeing in the same room. Sometimes it was overnight, other times during the day when we were gone. We tried gating him out of the room where he would poop overnight and this seemed to be working, but today he both eliminated in a different room and then peed and pooped in the original room when we were gone and had forgotten to put up his gate. We live in Maine and have been having a VERY cold and snowy winter, but Ruxin still does his business outside as usual during turn outs. He typically gets a turn out in the morning after breakfast, in the afternoon, after dinner and before bed. Usually he would get a walk but since the weather has been so cold and there has been so much snow he hasn't been getting walked nearly as much. I have made an appointment with the vet to make sure nothing else is going on but this seems to be behavioral. My husband is very frustrated and has tried scolding Ruxin aggressively which I am sure is not helping matters at all. Does anyone have any suggestions or been through sometimes similar with their grey? Any help greatly appreciated!

Can you gate him in your bedroom? That way you should hear if he's trying to tell you he needs to go out.

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

having the same issue here ... between the cold weather and a few recent injuries on my part, we haven't been able to do our walks. I resorted to washable pee pads in the sunroom (right by the sliding door that we use to go out to the backyard ... and the most likely 'spot' for an accident). Not ideal, but certainly better than the alternative.

Very cold where I am with much snow and because of that ... I have to go out with the dogs and make sure they do their business. If I just let them go out, they will just turn around and go back in. I suggest that you go out with him and stay out for as long as you can. You may also need to increase the number of turnouts since he is not getting a walk.

Guest Scouts_mom

I would guess that he just isn't getting his normal walks to move his insides along. Just doing a quick turnout doesn't do the job. Don't scold him--the fact that he is doing it as far away from his bed in the house as he can, shows that he really doesn't want to do it in the house. WHile the cold continues, I would recommend putting down some pee-pads.

And I'll be the first to suggest it would be worth having him checked out at the vet. It COULD be that the weather is an issue--and he could be ill or have parasites or any number of other issues.

Anytime a housebroken dog starts eliminating in the house, my first thought is medical.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest CleverJason

Baron was doing the same thing. I took him to the vet and he got a clean bill of health. So...figure out a way to go for walks or expect messes. (And I really do feel you...I hate making Baron go for walks when it's close to 0 degrees outside, but we bundle up and only stay out for 10 minutes or so).

Guest BlueCatch

It's super cold here too. I end up taking Catch on a couple more shorter walks throughout the day. Last one at 8pm which is the longest. She is then good to about 6 am. I would think medical problem too. Hope it resolves quickly.