Dry Air Causing Increased Drinking? New Theories/update #37

So we've been having issues with increased water consumption and some accidents/waking me up to go out in the middle of the night. Little back story here.

The urinalysis results from that visit were all normal and the culture didn't grow anything. We did a 7 day course of Amoxi anyway and I still felt he was drinking more than normal, but no accidents or waking me in the middle of the night. Since then it's continued sort of hte same although the last couple of days he is gulping down large quantities at the water bowl, even more than he has been. I think the lack of accidents/wake up calls has just been because I am being more careful about our schedule and getting him out a bit more frequently.

One thing I'm wondering is if it's the dry air as the gulping even larger quantities has coincided with this horrific low windchill weather and the dry air and heater constantly running, but it seems excessive to just be that. We have a cold laser appt on Tuesday so I guess I'll have them pull blood and see if anything turns up.

Has anyone experienced a drastic change in water consumption simply because of weather? Does anyone have other ideas for what could be going on? UTI seems to be off the table, glucose was normal on his u/a so I think diabetes is out, he's still concentrating his urine just fine so I don't think we're looking at kidney issues. Someone mentioned heart issues in the other thread so I will definitely ask her to give a good listen to his heart. Anything else we can check/do?

Worried about my boy. :( He's 10 1/2 now but he's under contract to live until at least 15 so we can't be having more issues this early on - his LS is enough thank you very much.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my Angel Suze was showing the first signs of glomerulonephritis, she was screened for everything under the sun including diabetes insipidus and Cushings. Hope it's nothing.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My humidifier isn't working and so our air is really dry. Also, it's cold out so we're not walking as much. Mason hasn't been sleeping through the night. I also took him in for a urinalysis and it came back clean. He also went on antibiotics just in case. I literally could have written your post.

I never thought about the dry air as an issue. I just assumed it was because we weren't walking as much. If they go out in the yard they're not as, um, productive as when we walk. :)

I do think that the dry air is the cause of the drinking and peeing more. When we walk he's fine and sleeps through the night.

My current plan is to wait and see and keep an eye on him. If it's still going on when winter is over we'll re-evaluate. I know it seems a long way off but he's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, and not in any pain or discomfort. Also, I've gone through this the last 3 winters with one or the other so there's a definite trend here. I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but I hope it helps.

My boy sleeps in front if the fire all day and I have forced hot air--I don't see an increase of drinking with him. If the bloodwork and u/a were normal I think you have to dig deeper. For example you may need to run an ACTH stim test.

We haven't run bloodwork yet, will do that this week. The thing that's sort of got me stumped is that he has no other indications that something more nefarious is going on. :dunno

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Two things come to mind, but I don't know if there are more symptoms than what you describe - test for Cushings and do a hormone test to see if it could be the beginning of SARDs. I hope it's neither.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest sireltonsmom

My 10.5 year old girl is doing exactly the same thing except for middle of the night issue. She has a mildly elevated creatine level. We've been working with the vet but no answers yet. I share your concerns and frustration. I've gotten a crate for when we are out and put protection over dog bed stuffing. We are getting carpet cleaned today and putting a rug over it when dry. We are just managing the issue. Hope for definitive diagnosis and strategy for both of us.

You could test your dry air theory by draping a damp towel over a source of raidant heat for a night.

Has the diet become saltier? Dog licking feet from road salt?

If it's not Diabetes, Kidney disease, Adrenal disease.... Cushings and Addisons both have classic symptoms that tend to get worse, then consider having an abdominal ultrasound done in case an enlarged liver is pressing on the kidney area.

Two things come to mind, but I don't know if there are more symptoms than what you describe - test for Cushings and do a hormone test to see if it could be the beginning of SARDs. I hope it's neither.

No other symptoms so far. Although TBD is in my head as a possibility and lameness/soreness wouldn't necessarily be easy for me to spot because of Zuri's existing LS. And thanks for scaring the crap out of me. ;)

You could test your dry air theory by draping a damp towel over a source of raidant heat for a night.

Good idea. I could at least pull my humidifier out. Would be good for me anyway. :P

We ended up with an appt for 2 today since my vet won't be in tomorrow and an incoming storm may cause them to close tomorrow anyway. I'm going to have them run a blood panel (which will include a new u/a), a base cortisol level on tbhounds suggestion and do a snap test. :goodluck

No experience with either of the dogs, but my 11-year-old cat has been drinking like a fish these past few weeks. He essentially camps out at the water bowl and seems to drink constantly. I had him at the vet this week. While I was there, they palpated his bladder and noted that it was very full (which at least confirmed that it wasn't all in my head, and that he probably is drinking to excess). He's a little overweight as well, so I was thinking possibly diabetes or Cushings. But, no. Everything on his UA and bloodwork is normal. The vet thought that it must just be the combination of the heater running and dry winter air. I started running a humidifier to see if that helps.

Edited by a_daerr

Snap test normal, no lyme disease. Heart sounds good, no mumur. Vet seems pretty unconcerned and thinks weather but we're going to run the bloodwork and another u/a.

A good friend of mine who has a Tibetan Mastiff, and lives in DC is having the same issue with her dog. Nothing has shown up in the bloodwork or u/a at this point. She is considering homeopathic support. Are there any supplements anyone is using for similar symptoms with positive results?

Are you sure he's actually drinking more--I know you said you thought he was gulping more, but no accidents? We went through this, freaked out, and it turned out the bowl was near a heating vent and the water was evaporating much faster than it had been before.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

A good friend of mine who has a Tibetan Mastiff, and lives in DC is having the same issue with her dog. Nothing has shown up in the bloodwork or u/a at this point. She is considering homeopathic support. Are there any supplements anyone is using for similar symptoms with positive results?

Side tracking here but, did the vet run a thyroid panel? Tibetan Mastiff's are often hypothyroid. Could explain the excessive drinking.

Are you sure he's actually drinking more--I know you said you thought he was gulping more, but no accidents? We went through this, freaked out, and it turned out the bowl was near a heating vent and the water was evaporating much faster than it had been before.

He is definitely drinking more. Not basing it on what's in the bowl at all as there are 4 animals sharing it. Drinking more, one accident and barking to go out frequently at odd times, including middle of night.

So interestingly, I got my humidifier out yesterday and kept it running all afternoon/evening in the living room, then moved it to the bedroom overnight. I also kept the thermostat set much lower (64 rather than 68) and we did not have the crazy drinking overnight. He did have a healthy dose from the bowl this morning, but will be interesting to see how this goes. I only have a little humidifier that I typically use in my bedroom so I ordered a larger one for our living space and plan to keep both running constantly for a while until this is resolved.

As an aside, I wasn't all that cold with the temp lower with the humidifier running. So hopefully this will help with electric bills as well. :goodluck

And we had an accident this morning. No waking me up asking to go out, just let loose on the floor again. :( Bloodwork results cannot come soon enough.

Did your vet run a baseline cortisol? (No worries if not-it can always be called in as an add on)

No, I asked her about it, but she said she doesn't like to bother because most dogs have increased cortisol levels from stress when they come in. I did ask whether there would potentially be any other indicator in the blood work of a Cushing's issue and she mentioned one value that I've heard of, but the name is totally slipping my mind. I also asked about follow-up tests for that and she mentioned the the low dose dexamethasone test you mentioned, but then said she'd be more likely to run an atypical Cushing's test since his urine spec gravity is normal (unless that changes). I'm going to call shortly to see if results were normal. My vet isn't in again until tomorrow, but I can at least find out if anything was off.

I have noticed that my water dish seems to be empty more than normal. And Mollie used to drink quite a bit so with her gone it has to be Dylan. (too tall for the little dogs) He loves to go out and Jeff has been home a lot and has mentioned that Dylan has been in and out a lot lately. He hasn't had any accidents but has always been somewhat of a OCD drinker. RIght before feeding he will gulp down a lot.

:hope that it is nothing...since Dylan and he are similar in age I can not even remotely handle another health issue.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

No, I asked her about it, but she said she doesn't like to bother because most dogs have increased cortisol levels from stress when they come in. I did ask whether there would potentially be any other indicator in the blood work of a Cushing's issue and she mentioned one value that I've heard of, but the name is totally slipping my mind. I also asked about follow-up tests for that and she mentioned the the low dose dexamethasone test you mentioned, but then said she'd be more likely to run an atypical Cushing's test since his urine spec gravity is normal (unless that changes). I'm going to call shortly to see if results were normal. My vet isn't in again until tomorrow, but I can at least find out if anything was off.

Increased WBC and SAP (liver) and possibly glucose ;-)

Increased WBC and SAP (liver) and possibly glucose ;-)

It was the SAP she mentioned. Thanks. :)

Waiting for a call back. Results are in, but they won't give them to you unless it's a vet. <_< Fully expecting them to be normal at this point.

Blood work results are in and as suspected, nada.

T4 is low <0.4 - It's always low for him and we ran a full panel with MSU in April of last year to be safe when he was having skin issues and there was no indication of thyroid disease

WBC also low 2,700 - Again, this is also always low for him/typical for greyhounds. He said the normal range is 4500-7500, Zuri's tends to run in the 3000's so a bit lower than normal for him

Otherwise, everything completely normal. SAP was 67 (5-160) and no other indications of adrenal disease, kidney and liver all good, glucose normal. USG was 1.029 (and this was on a day when he had had a lot of water the night before though urine wasn't caught until around 2:30 pm), some bilirubin in urine (again have seen in past) but blood bilirubin fine.

So I guess we just wait and see if this changes when the weather improves. Otherwise he suggested we could recheck blood counts in about a month to see if the WBC has dropped further, indicating a pattern.

I am probably going to start pulling up water a few hours before bedtime just to see if we can avoid the early morning accidents now that we've hopefully ruled out a medical concern.