Greyhounds And Chemo

Guest SHC_Tommys_Mom

Guest SHC_Tommys_Mom

Hello, I just found out Friday that my beloved greyhound Tommy has osteosarcoma (shoulder - left front leg). Tommy is 10 1/2 years old and we've had him for 4 1/2 years. He is our only pet. We want to make the decision that is the best and the kindest for Tommy. One of our options is removal of his left front leg and then chemo. Does anyone have any information about how greyhounds tolerate chemo? Also how often they would need it? How is their mobility after amputation? Can they climb up/down steps? Tommy loves to get on the sofa - would he still be able to do that? We are having his alkaline phosphatase tested on Tuesday - also a test of fluid from his local lymph nodes. If surgery does not seem like it would be in his best interests, our other option would be to put him to sleep. We would miss him terribly but we want to make sure his quality of life would be good and that he wouldn't suffer needlessly. He's the first greyhound I've ever had so I have no previous experience with this. I just want to make sure we make the best decision for him and I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Taylor, my 6 year old boy, had his first dose of Carboplatin a week ago Wednesday, for cancer is his right wrist.

Other than having a little nausea around 10:30 PM that night (gave him the medication he was sent home with ) and being a little sleepy on Thursday, he had no side effects at all.

From what I have researched, most (80%?? ) dogs don't have any side effects at all.

Ohio State University has a program that offers 4 free rounds of Carboplatin to dogs that qualify.

I contacted them on a Thursday afternoon. The request was approved on Monday and the chemo was shipped overnight to my oncologist that day.

Here is their contact info:

http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/ghwp

http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/contact-us-0

We have done amputation and chemo with our greyhounds. They do really well with 3 legs. After they get their sea legs they can do everything as before. I'm sure you can find videos of tripod greyhounds running around and playing. The chemo is usually started when their stitches come out or soon after. It is not like chemo for humans. For the free chemo from Ohio State he will get 4 doses. One dose every 2 weeks or as your vet recommends. They do blood work before chemo treatments to see what his white blood count is. I think it's the white blood count. They usually go home that same day. After maybe the second dose they might have a little nausea. Not at all like what humans have. The vet can give you some medicine to prevent the nausea also. It's more like a little throw up. Then they might be tired a few days after the treatment. Then it's back to normal.

Amputation and chemo is really the best option to give your furkid more time.

The treatment is a lot harder on you than it is on him. He will just go with the flow.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

You will find a lot of information here from other owners who have already traveled the same path:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305786-osteo-thread-part-8/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am very sorry to read of Tommy's diagnosis, it is heart shattering to hear. We are here to help and support you however we can.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Do check out the osteo thread posted above. Lots of personal experiences, as well as photos of dogs doing fine on three legs. My dog wasn't a candidate for amputation, but many do well. Some only survive a short time after amputation, and some are still going strong three years later. It is a personal decision you need to make with your dog, lifestyle, and finances taken into consideration. You will make the best choice for your dog out of love. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for making whatever decision you choose.

Most dogs do fine on chemo. They don't know they have cancer, so they don't go through the anguish that their people experience.

Sorry that you are joining this terrible club, but you have come to the right place for support. Good luck! Hug your dog!

• 3 months later...
Guest MurphysMom

Hi Tommy's mom, any updates? How heart-wrenching to receive that news. Praying that you and yours find some peace in all this, and know that any decision you make, you're making the best one because you love the one you're making it for!

If it is in the shoulder would amputation get all of it?

Bone cancer pain is the worst and drugs do not take all of it away.

I know you will do what is best for your hound.

I lost my girl in August of last year.

I am tired of our precious hounds being stolen by this horrible f@#$! disease.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SHC_Tommys_Mom
Hello, sorry I haven't gotten back. It has been an extremely rough year and sadly, we ended up putting Tommy to sleep yesterday. Tommy ended up with two types of cancer - osteosarcoma discovered in February, and lymphoma discovered at the end of April while he was undergoing chemo (despite going through the chemo). We stopped the chemo at that point since the aggressive chemo didn't seem to be effective. We treated him with prednisone and he seemed to be holding his own until yesterday when he collapsed and couldn't walk. Our whole family felt like there was nothing more to be done and nothing worth putting him through, for so little benefit, so we decided it was time. We all really loved Tommy - he was a very sweet, gentle friendly dog who really loved people and was most attached to me as his "mom". We are missing him terribly but are so glad we had a chance to live with him and love him. We all wish it was more. Thank you for your support. It helped to have the benefit of your experience.

I am so very sorry for the loss of Tommy. I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, every day, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry for your difficult loss of Tommy. It seems that he was deeply loved and so fortunate to have had such a caring family. Our sincere condolences to you and your family during this most difficult loss of your only pet family member.

Godspeed sweet Tommy.

:f_red

Thank you for thoughtfully returning to your thread to update us.

(If desired, please feel free to post more about Tommy in Remembrance. Moderators often lock H&M threads after a dog has passed.)