Buying Raw Food

Guest drun0507

Guest drun0507

Our grey has experienced skin problems for a long time and he seems miserable. We've taken him to the vet and they just said it was allergies. The medication didn't help much but Ive decided to switch him to a raw diet and have done a lot of research on it. I'm pretty sold on the raw diet but am concerned about cost. Being 75 pounds would mean he would need roughly 1.5 pounds of meat in a single day.., which is going to be pretty costly just getting it at the grocery store like we buy our own.

With that said, where and how does everyone get their raw food and what is a good weekly or monthly price target to keep in mind in my own search?

I've gathered people get it from local butchers but don't explain how much they pay and how to verbalized what it is that I need for him.

Thanks for the help. This is my first post!

Drew

Search for raw pet food suppliers in your closest major city. Many have retail store fronts, and others have once or twice monthly delivery routes over multi-state areas. This will keep your cost down, and many of them have the food already mixed in various formulations.

Examples:

Here's one in Phoenix - http://www.freshrawdogfood.com/

And one in Indianapolis - https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?lang=en

You might want to post your location so others can suggest suppliers that serve your area.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I would also suggest talking to your butcher to see if they can do anything for you. If they are a smaller family run company, and are dog lovers they might be able to help you out, particularly if they can see there's a market there for them. I know my butcher chrgers $3 per kilo for pet mince but only charges me $1.50 because I buy a lot of it, and because he can make the profit on others. But then, others believe it's good enough and cheap enough that he really can't get enough of it!

Best thing you can do is try to connect with raw feeders in your area. They probably have secret butcher shops that they use. I use a restaurant supply meat distributer and only buy meat once a year. The bulk really cuts down on the price.

------

Jessica

I am in MA so it doesn't help but i am sure you have places in Seattle. I am in a co-op which cuts down the costs since i feed two dogs on raw.

You can't feed just meat alone. Dogs need a little organ meats, mine get oils and mashed veggies now and then also. Research how to feed raw. Do you have a pet retailer that sells raw so you can see ingredients? Bravorawdiet/calculator has an area you can put in your dogs weight and see how much to feed for the day.Roughly 2-2.5 percent of their body weight to maintain. I feed 2 times a day. Yes, i have seen it solve many issues so good luck with it and good choice. To make it easy on you at first i do suggest a complete raw diet from a pet supply store until you get used to it. Sorry this is hastily written as i just got woke up.

Guest Lillypad

My advice is much the same as JAJ2010 has said. Give your self some time to learn the raw feeding scoop. Get the word out that you are feeding a raw diet. Strength is in numbers. I have been feeding raw two years and have just recently found a lamb supplier. It all happened because of word of mouth. Use as much networking as possible. Social media, ads, dog sport groups, raw feeding groups. Contact vets in your area and ask if they can suggest holistic practitioners. Don't completely rule out grocery stores. Watch for sales, meats coming into their expiry dates are perfectly fine to feed to dogs. I personally find commercial prepared raw diets too expensive. I also don't feel they are the best for your dollar. I feel, large fresh whole cuts of meats are the best nutritionally and mentally for our canines. Dogs love tearing into a large piece of meat that just can't be duplicated with a commercial ground product. This is a group of many that I belong to. You should find people in the Seattle area there that may be able to help.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rawfeedingcarnivores

https://www.facebook.com/groups/225320047573140/