When To Have Dental.

MattB

Hi. Just after some rule of thumb of there's such a thing re: when to take my hound for a dental. She's been with us for a couple of months but had been in the kennel for a year. I'm assuming she's had a dental about 14 months ago. She's got a bit of plaque but doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. A small amount of blood on a really tough hard chew is hoped would help with the plaque/tartar.

I'm not trying to save money, just aware of GA risks and striking a balance.

Any advice much appreciated.

M

I take the advice of my vet because I trust her. I had Annie 2-1/2 years when bad breath (Annie, not me.. LOL) indicated it was time for a visit to the vet. It could have been caused by something other than teeth, but in this case, a dental was needed.

If you're smelling bad breath then it's most likely your hound needs a dental prophy. Actually the most appropriate time to do a cleaning is before extractions are necessary and before periodontal disease is noted. The idea is to maintain good oral health and to save teeth not extract them. Once the cleaning has been done daily brushing should be part of your daily routine--no different than your own. Start with one tooth at a time-if you are patient and are persistent your hound will accept this as a normal routine.

Most clinics extend a discount for dental services in the month on February (and often in August too) so, there's no time like the present to book the appointment ;-)

If your vet thinks she needs a dental, do it. I waited a little too long for Desi's last dental. He had a good bit of gunk & was under anesthesia

longer than I would have liked. I swore then that we'd start brushing. It's a habit now, last thing before bed.....final cookie, then teeth brushing.

It's been 2 years & his teeth are still a-ok.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thanks. Our other grey loves hard chews and keeps his teeth clean that way. I hope in the future we can brush or new girl's teeth but she's so nervous it's taken a long time for her to trust us at all. Yes we will go to the vets I'm nervous as we're new to the area and there's none we have an established relationship with.