Separation Issues

Guest JLSmith526

Guest JLSmith526

So I've had my first grey for about a week now. He's been off the track for about 6 weeks at this point. He went from the track to a prison program where he was for about 3 1/2 weeks. He's doing super well for the most part. The issue I'm hearing about is that if I leave the house, even for just 10 minutes he will start whining and howling. I have 4 other roommates, and there is another dog in the house (cocker spaniel). He doesn't do this when anyone else leaves, only when I do. I've been told he will do it for about 45 minutes before settling.

I've tried leaving him with a used towel and used socks so that he has my scent. Also, I do not crate as he really doesn't seem to need it.

Any suggestions?

Edited by JLSmith526

Can you stuff a kong with some peanut butter and kibble (and freeze it!) and leave it with him when you leave? Sometimes having a tasty treat to take their mind off your leaving an help.

Also work on alone training if you haven't yet - there is a lot of helpful information about it on the forum if you do a search :)

Also remember this is all new to him. He may settle in in time, but try a great and some alone training in the meantime.

Others might have other suggestions for you, too!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest JLSmith526

I'll try to do a frozen kong. Part of the problem though is that he does this even when others are gone, it is only when I leave.

Edited by JLSmith526

It's only been a week. Take a deep breath, and know that with time this will no doubt pass. But do work on the alone training (search the forum, or buy the booklet from Amazon.com called "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell).

I'd be careful leaving your dog with anything edible if there is another dog who is NOT getting a treat. Could lead to squabbles.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Scouts_mom

You say you are not crating him, but where is he when you are gone? Is he locked in a room by himself? If so, no wonder he howls, especially if he hears your roommates and the other dog. He needs to be where he can see what is going on. Ideally he should be having free run of the house. But if you feel you cannot trust him yet not to get into trouble, babygate him into a room such as the kitchen--he can see what is going on and not get so panic stricken.