Sign in to follow this  
Guest agreytday

Martingale Collar / Harness (This Is Probably A Dumb Question...)

Guest agreytday

Hello. We are preparing for our first grey baby and I have a question regarding martingale collars. Is martingale a style of collar or a brand? I know that many of you may find this to be completely dumb but when I started looking it up, I see different companies making "martingale style" collars, which made me think it might be a name brand. (Wikipedia says it's a style and not a company but I know that they are not always accurate.)

My second question is if anyone uses martingale harnesses and if the dogs tend to be okay with them. When we first adopt, I was thinking a harness may be a good idea until I get a strong sense of the dog's inclination to pull and I am scared of him running at a squirrel and me being completely knocked off balance. (I do know the double loop trick but I am just trying to be very cautious until I get more familiar with the dog.). I do think that he will come directly from the track and not through a foster program so I would not have the ability to discuss this with a foster parent.

My last question is if it is safe to leave a regular martingale collar on him inside the house. (I would only use the harness for walks.). Or should we only use a smaller collar with the name, phone number, and ID tags? I want him to be comfortable but also safe in the event of some sort of Houdini-esque escape attempt.

I am sure that people will have differing views on these things but I do appreciate any feedback you can offer. Again, I apologize if this seems overly analytical to ask these questions - or even completely silly - but I have done so much research and then realized I didn't ask anyone these things! I am just taking this process seriously and want to be as prepared as possible for my fur baby. I know I am probably sounding like a first time mom of a human baby but this will be my baby :-). Thank you.

Welcome! And we're excited to hear about your new family member ... remember that PICTURES are required here!!!

A martingale collar is a type (style) of collar. It is important to use some type of martingale collar on your greyhound, because their heads are smaller than their necks, and they can easily slip out of a 'regular' collar. Assuming you get your new pup from a group, they'll help you get started, and then you can check out all of the collars & leashes that are available at events and/or on the merchandise threads here (many people have whole collections).

There are different opinions about leaving martingale collars on dogs while in the home -- I don't recommend it, because the collar can get caught on things (knobs of kitchen cabinets, for example), which could cause problems (do a search on here, and you'll find examples of dogs that hurt themselves because they were frightened when they got caught, and others that had much more serious injuries).

All dogs should have a 'tag collar' on though ... that's a collar (anywhere from 3/4" to 2") that holds their identification. This collar should NOT be used to attach a leash, and many people prefer a 'breakaway' collar.

My hounds don't like harnesses (my boy SCREAMS when I put one on him) ... but many dogs do just fine (mine might not have had a problem had I started them out with harnesses when I first adopted them). If you adopt a pup that is afraid of storms, I would certainly recommend a harness.

Good luck, and have fun!

P.S. please ask ANY questions you have here ... you may not get a consensus from everyone here (in fact, you probably won't), but I know that I've received wonderful advice and a lot of food for thought from people who have a HUGE wealth of knowledge.

Hi, all good questions and this is a good place to get answers.

Martingale is a style of collar. It is not a good idea to leave one on your dog when they are alone. We use tag collars in the house and only put the martingales on for walks and car rides. The tag collar does not have dangling tags on it just the engraved jingle free tag. There is nothing hanging to get caught.

I do use a harness on Dood as he gets excited and pulls to much. The harness I use is from 2 Hounds Design that is also where I got the tag collars.

They also have very nice martingale collars. Dood wears both a martingale collar and his harness when we go out. I also leave their tag collars on with the martingales.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Thanks for the recommendation. We do make the Freedom harness (patented design with a martingale loop) and if it is adjusted correctly, it is very difficult to escape from. We also make the jingle free tag collars (and also just normal tag collars).

Let me know if you have any questions, we are happy to help!

http://www.2houndsdesign.com

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Except as gifts none of my dogs have ever had more than one collar but feel free to go as wild as your finances allow.

A martingale is a limited slip choke collar used on greys because their heads are smaller than their necks. I've never had problems leaving them on mine but have read the horror stories. I wonder about the usefulness of breakaway collars as they...well, break away and then you have a naked dog.

Edited by Hubcitypam

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We don't use separate tag collars, just martingales. Our dogs are all microchipped, and we feel that is sufficient.

We have a special carabiner that the tags are on and we transfer them around as necessary.

Collars can be addicting and there are a ton of sellers who will enable your addition quite happily!

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Guest HVHTT

Happy to hear another Grey will get a forever home :) Remember that most retired racers have been wearing a Martingale all their life and are very comfortable having one on....there are literally 100s out there on sites as well as E Bay ...just got this nice Flame Collar/ Leash set

Greyhounds don't wear martingales until they become pets, for the most part. Even then, some use fishtail collars instead. At the farm and track, most wear plastic buckle collars.

We use martingales only for walks. Sometimes we use a fishtail or harness instead.

We use only breakaway collars in the house and yard. NOTHING in the crate.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Welcome to the joys of greyhounds and martingale collars! If you like fashion and shopping, you couldn't have picked a better breed!

No one has answered your question about martingale harnesses so I will. They are in my opinion the best type of harness for a greyhound because they discourage pulling. (First, many greys do not need a harness, so it's up to you whether to use one. They're not a requirement like martingale collars are.). Note that many harness designs are strongest across the chest. That gives the dog something really good to pull against -leverage! Martingale harnesses give a gentle squeeze on the dogs chest if he pulls (but only if you attach the leash to the d-ring on his back, not the one on his chest).

Google for wiggles, wags and whiskers no-pull harness to getthebest quality (but not expensive). Ive been using them with my two for a few years and can't do without them. Note that we are talking about different levels of escape protection. Martingale collars can be backed out of if the dog really bolts. Ww&w harnesses are a little harder to back out of but still possible is the dog is smart and squirmy, like some Galgos or podencos. If you get a shy, spooky or fearful dog then a spook harness is best, it has three girth straps and is impossible to slip out of.

Sharon, Capri, Loki, Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Sit. Stay Safe! by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I keep Mercury's martingale clipped to the leash. When we come in I just slip off the whole thing. Otherwise, I'm going to be looking for it. It's safer to remove it and, when wandering around the yard, he'll put his head down to sniff and it'll slip off his head!

The important thing is that the martingale and leash coordinate and that they both look fabulous!

(I made both Mercury's tag collar and martingale and then, used the same fabric to cover an old leash. Got to keep those houndies stylish.)

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Missing my heart dog Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I recommend harness to every single adoption that I do. I find it much safer for the adopter and the hound. You never know if something will scare your hound and a harness will help stop your hound from backing out and running away. I strongly recommend WWW (Whiskers Wags Wiggles) brand spook harness as the best. I would not recommend any harness that you pick up at the big box pet stores (Petsmart Petco) as these arent specifically designed for a greyhound's deep chest. Also, the WWW harness comes with nice velvet lined pieces as to not rub the hounds arm pits raw when walking.

Wearing martingale collars, I am of the camp to leave a martingale on 24/7. Just me. Yes there are stories of bad things happening, but I believe that the risks are outweighed by the chance that a hound would be lose without any tags on (breakaway tag collars). This is just me. You do what you feel comfortable with.

Guest agreytday

Oh wow!!! This is such great information! I no longer feel that this is a dumb question because there are clearly a lot of things to consider. I think I will get a harness and a regular martingale to start and then see which goes better.

For people who put tags on the collars, either the regular or the tag collar (which I didn't even know existed until I read your responses!) - Do you put the rabies tag number on there as well as your contact information? I met someone who had little collar bags that held the different tags and did not allow them to jingle. I had been imagining having a contact information tag and a rabies tag in this little tag bag. I will check our law in my area to determine if it is required to always have the rabies tag on when they are outside.

I do plan to get my dog microchipped first thing when I take him for the first "get to know my grey" meeting with a vet that is approved / suggested by my adoption group. Thank you all so much for your help! I have found so much great info on here. I am using another post as my primary resource to build my grey baby first aid kit :-)

Greyhounds don't wear martingales until they become pets, for the most part. Even then, some use fishtail collars instead. At the farm and track, most wear plastic buckle collars.

collars.jpg

:nod This is what they wear at the farm and track - usually with their name in put on it in marks-a-lot once they're named :)

Buddy was gifted with a lovely WWW harness and it worked very well.

Edited by Hubcitypam

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

As for tags, we keep our pup's rabies tag on one of his collars, along with the rest of these:

HomeAgain tag

Tag with his name and our phone numbers and indicating he has a microchip

Pet registration tag (different cities in Virginia, particularly southeast VA require a cheap, i.e. $4, pet registration)

an LED light that clips on to his collar for late night business

We also just do the martingale, but our boy is bomb-proof and has a very low prey drive. Just make sure the tags are not on the D-ring of the collar. Some martingales come with a separate 'tag ring', and others, you can get a tag clip to clip the tags onto a different part of the collar.

Congratulations on your soon-to-have fur baby!

Congrats on your adoption! Shameless plug... I make martingales and matching tag collars. The link is in my siggie. :)

As far as tag bags go, I've used my wraparound Longdog Leather ones for years. They're my favorite.

Congrats ... and welcome to our cult ;)

Mine only wear their martingale collars when we go out.

None are pullers, so we don't have any harnesses.

They all wear a small 'tag collar'.... Only their name/phone number is on a small tag. We are not required to wear the rabies tags.

I don't like the breakaway tag collars.

We tried one on our Pointer mix and found it broke open very easily, leaving us with the collar in our hand and the dog running off :(

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

Welcome!

Another recommendation for the Freedom No-pull Harness, formerly known as the Wiggles Wags & Whiskers (WWW) harness. The velvet straps don't chafe your dog's skin, and the martingale loop on the back is great for greyhounds. You can attach one end of a leash to the back of the harness and one end to a martingale collar, or use the loop on the front. It helps with pulling, lunging, jumping, and more. The folks at 2Hounds Design are super helpful if you need input on sizing (we used an XL for our 83 lb boy!)--they really have excellent customer service. You may want to meet your hound (if you haven't already) so you can measure him/her before ordering though.

You'll find lots of collar vendors in the Merchandise section of this board! Most "medium" sized collars fit most greyhounds--but big boys and small girls may fall outside that!

Good luck!

Kendra, devoted walker of Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb).
Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/7/04 - 2/20/14, who opened our hearts to greyhounds,
    and Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/16/03 - 10/29/14, who really knew what a good dog she was.

Guest Bean_Scotch

I use a 1 inch marginale with their tags on the sliders 24/7. I've never had any issues. I gravely dislike harnesses. They don't give you much control of the front half of your dogs, so it's harder to control them/get their attention. I've used them with SUPER spooky hounds just in case they slipped a collar or something, but not for your typical greyhound. Congrats on your new addition.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you have issues with harness, then get a harness where you can rotate the d-ring section from the back to the chest. I have one and I had a puller. You rotate the harness around so the d-ring is in the middle of the chest. Once the hound pulls, their body is turned towards you, no problem.

Add me to the fan list of the Freedom harness http://www.2houndsdesign.com/1-Freedom-No-Pull-Harness-Medium-and-Large-Breeds.html from 2hounds.

One of my dogs, Xena, is a Spanish Greyhound (aka Galgo, which is a bit smaller of a sighthound breed but has the pointy head/big chest thing going). She is not quite a true spook, but is capable of getting quite alarmed/bolting with an amazing leap-three-feet-in-the-air-spinning-180-while-springing-backwards thing that she fortunately does only rarely. She can easily slip a normal martingale collar when that happens.

The martingale feature on the Freedom harness has been a lifesaver. Plus it has the very nice velvet type lining and has never chafed her--and now she gets super excited when she sees it coming out of the closet. Walks are tons of fun now, but I would never risk this particular dog in just a martingale. Oh, and it saves me money...I only have one (in a gorgeous purple) vs. the closet stuffed with martingales. Martingales are addictive, the harnesses, not so much (sorry 2Hounds :P).

Cathy

gallery_16405_3569_8700.jpg
Homer aka Atascocita Homer, Susie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic and missing the girls...
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)