Sleeping Through The Night Problems

Guest Jml

Hi we just rescued a 4 yr old greyhound male and he will start to sleep on his bed in our room but then gets up and wanders around and won't go back to sleep. We are exhausted!! We crate during the day when we are not home but the crate is in another part of the house. We tried crating last night but he cried. Also he wants to go out in the middle of the night which is fine but then won't settle back down. Any advice

Guest sireltonsmom

Your new boy is just adjusting to a new life. This will get better. Generally the greys want to sleep in the same room as their people. You might consider closing your bedroom door at night with him inside the bedroom. The going out in the middle of the night will best be served by not responding the first time he whines (is that how he's letting you know?) Put it off awhile. Tell him 'go to sleep'. This all may just be adjustment issues and you are likely more alert because you don't want an accident and you want to make sure he's ok. This will all improve the longer he's with you. Have patience. Enjoy your new boy. I felt overwhelmed with my first grey but all worked out fine. Having a new dog is learning each other's signals.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Since we got our boy back in December, he has slept in our room, uncrated, with our bedroom door close. We don't leave any toys around and usually it is a very boring room for him to be in. We also make sure to walk him before sleeping so he is in a resting mood.

The first night he got up to nose me to check if I was still there a few times (5) but I turned around without petting/talking to him. Each time he went back to his bed (remember the room is very boring!). The second night, he tried my husband, same results. He has been sleeping all night on his bed ever since.

Now if Jack would have been pacing or showing signs he needed to go I would have taken him out. But really they should be fine all night.

Could you try crating in your room for the night?

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

He is anxious and a bit worried so his adrenalin gets going a bit and it keeps him awake and restless. You don't say how many days you have had him but keep in mind he doesn't know or trust you yet. It will take time but it will happen. Soon he will fall asleep while staring at you and smiling. Nothing better than a greyhound fast asleep with a big grin on its face.

Also, it should go without saying that a one hour walk before bed will make him feel better about being with you and help him relax.

Guest PiagetsMom

We personally don't like to sleep with our door closed, so we've always used a baby gate to confine our pups to our bedroom during the night. The first few nights that you have him I can see making a trip outside during the night - he is, after all, new to your home, but I would be careful of the habit you might be making. I wouldn't crate him at night in another area of the house, but if he's one of those pups whose crate is his "safe" place, you might move the crate to your bedroom at night, or get another crate for your room. If he's crated during the day without accidents, he should be able to make it through the night as well. I'd try a "Go lay down" when he gets up at night, and then try to ignore him. If there are no accidents, continue on with that until he gets the message that night time is for going to bed and sleeping. Good luck!

Edited by PiagetsMom

A nice brisk walk before bedtime may help. Also, could he be getting cold at night? Many dogs will wake up because they're cold and then have to potty.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire